Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FPV OSD Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM
tmjudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPV OSD Systems

I'm interested in this FPV/OSD stuff, but need some advice.
I'll not be flying 'copters, or quads. I'll be going fixed wing. I need advice as to who sells 'great' systems to suit my needs. My needs are simple, to start with, however. I'd also like a system with room for expansion and more advanced features, as I progress. My first FPV/OSD bird will be a glider (Bird of Time, to be exact). I used to fly sailplanes, many, many years ago and would like to return to those days, via my R/C models. I've been into R/C for 47 years, but never looked into this FPV/OSD stuff. Time to kick the tires on this technology. Expansion and more advanced features will include slow flying drones, fast and possibly very fast birds, albeit. One step at a time. Let's start with a great system, high in quality, that will provide me with very clear images (including a close up 'yaw-string' view on the canopy), as well as good, clear OSD flight data, 'way-points' and return to home features. I'm looking for proven, high quality systems. Where do I start? I'm currently looking at Eagle Tree, but not savvy enough about FPV/OSD to know who all is out there, nor what products they offer.

Let's get the education and opinions rolling. "I'm all ears/eyes!"...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:43 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two setups so far. I am moving one from a quad to a plane. The plane I am going pure FPV. I just bought the camera here and the VTx and VRx there and so on. There are a few really good sites. I have not found a here you go all in one kit for the full FPV items. Are you wanting to use a flight control board, OSD, camera, GPS, all the bells and whistles?

I have (2) CC3D's, (2) Open Pilot Revo Nano's, (1) pixhawk.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/

This is the site for the CC3D's and Nano's.

http://www.librepilot.org/site/index.html

Pixhawk forums.

http://diydrones.com/forum/categorie...istForCategory

http://3drpilots.com/forums/pixhawk.17/

Grab a cup of coffee and read until your eye's fall out. There is so much information out there.

Buzz.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM
tmjudd

Thanks Buzz!
I'm already an RMRC customer. I have an 'Anaconda' on order. My BOT glider will be my first endeavor, for short range experiments and familiarization. The Anaconda will be my 'next' step towards longer distances and more bells/whistles. I'm not really looking for info about the FPV/OSD systems, themselves. I already know what they are and what they do and what is required. What I am looking for is who makes the 'BEST' quality systems!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM
blvdbuzzard

So far non are the best. Each has its own quirks. For the long range it would have to be Dragon link. They are the ones with the better reviews.

Nothing is bet for more than a week or two. Then some one comes out with better. Pick your poison and go with it.

Buzz.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM
tmjudd

Thanks Buzz,

So true about what's best. Emerging technology always seems to advance faster than the delivery vehicles can reach the dealers. By the time those newest products finally make it onto the store shelves, they are already obsolete! That's okay. So long as what I purchase does everything that I want it to do, I'll be happy... for a while.

I'm going to start with the Dragon Link and an Eagle Tree Vector. Seems as those systems are getting very good reviews, for the most part.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
tmjudd

Default DragonLink vs Thomas Scherrer Long Range systems

In hopes of getting started, on the proper track, with long range FPV/OSD systems... I have been doing a lot of research. While I've purchased an RMRC Anaconda, I've yet to purchase any electronics, nor obtain my Ham radio operators license. Those things will come at their due time. The license will be easy, but the electronics are proving to be a bit more difficult to learn about. Many choices available, and in such. Many bad decisions could possibly be made in frequency choices, antenna setups, yadda, yadda, yadda. My first thought was to go with the popular 'DragonLink' system for my UHF transmission and receiving. DragonLink seems to be very popular and reliable, however. There are also more choices available. Most of the choices seem to be okay to great, at best, and iffy/unreliable at worst. When long range, noise filtering, and interference suppression can make the difference between consistently good results vs praying that your 'failsafe' is truly failsafe, well. I prefer to err on the side of additional research and education. I don't want to risk hurting anyone, damaging their property, losing an expensive airplane, nor getting the FCC and the FAA pissed off at me. That being said. You may find the following links a bit informative. "I did!" The following links are a comparison between the quality of a DragonLink system and that of a Thomas Scherrer system. Good food for curious thought.

https://youtu.be/AUPUsPpuxC4

https://youtu.be/GkMfTde1gwE
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Ahh come on now. What are you doing here, research, learning, comparing. Why, just throw a lot of stuff in it and get it in the air, fly it 20 miles out. It will be OK. Nothing to worry about. JUST KIDDING!!!!

So much to learn, to do it the RIGHT way.

You could be like the others who get the UHF module for the 9x, plug it in and try to fly 20 miles away. What could possibly go wrong?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...ompatible.html

Buzz.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 PM
tmjudd

"Holly Cow, Buzz!" "Your tip just saved me from spending an extra $200-$300 dollars on stuff that is highly over-rated and insanely expense!" Who really needs that sort of expensive, name brand crap when you can buy something just as good, if not BETTER, from Hobby King at a 90%+ savings?" "Eagle Tree, DragonLink, Sherrer... What was I thinking?" (just kidding).

I like your sense of humor. That was good!

Do you have any personal experience with Eagle Tree products?
I'm going to dig deeper into the Sherrer UHF systems. They are actually a bit cheaper than the DragonLink, for a basic 20km range system. Not by much, albeit. If the quality and performance of the Sherrer is truly equal to, or greater than that of the DragonLink... Hmmm? I might reconsider my thoughts of using the DragonLink. Sherrer also has a system good for 100KM. It's only a few bucks more than the basic system. I can't imagine a flight that far away and back, less I design a glow/gas flying 'gas-can', or invent R/C in-flight refueling (not gonna happen)! "Less is more?" Not in this case. I'd prefer to have 'more' and use it less... if 'that' makes sense!

Curious stuff, this is!

Last edited by tmjudd; 01-10-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have not used Eagle tree other than a watt meter.

Now I can see getting the "budget" priced stuff for my Slash I drive around my 6 acres. Not sure I would have complete trust in it to fly something.

I have sketches of a 15,000mah 6s pusher I am tinkering with. More of a thermal sail plane with FPV room. Has not gone past a few pencil drawings on scrape paper.

I am working on upgrading my Slash with my Eachine goggles I just bought. I have been using a small monitor, now I am changing it so I can use my goggles. I need to change the location of the camera, swap out the VTx, change the batteries. Easy stuff. Just need to spend time in the garage to do it.

Buzz.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please realize that if you are flying beyond direct line of sight by the unaided eye, you must have the proper FAA license and certification to do so. For unlicensed use, you must remain within direct line of sight and below 400 feet. Please check the relevant regulations. Just because you can, does not mean you may.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/
Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 PM
tmjudd

Originally Posted by Bax
Please realize that if you are flying beyond direct line of sight by the unaided eye, you must have the proper FAA license and certification to do so. For unlicensed use, you must remain within direct line of sight and below 400 feet. Please check the relevant regulations. Just because you can, does not mean you may.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/
Not a problem... radio operator's license will 'also' be included with my credentials, just to be safe and make things 100% legal. Based on what I am currently learning, about the electronics, I'm thinking that 'everyone' should bone up on the radio thing, even if they wish to stay LOS in their FPV adventures. I'm learning what produces crappy video signals and brownouts while using rather good quality TX/RX equipment. It doesn't need to be that way. Knowledge is power! I'm learning all that I can to insure 100% success right out of the chute. There's a lot more to this stuff than I initially thought. There's also much more to learn before I'll feel confident in buying a LRS/OSD system! To simply buy 'good' stuff right off of the shelf, without properly matching things up (that very important 'third harmonic' thing), is a recipe for disaster. I'm beginning to think that a lot of bad reviews, concerning equipment, aren't necessarily the manufacturer/distributor's fault, but rather the fault of folks simply mismatching the components. I'll not be one of those folks!

FWIW... I'll be flying over raw, unpopulated ranch land in Texas. "Miles and miles of nothing but 'miles and miles'! The nearest air traffic will be at about 37,000 feet, occasionally. Don't worry Mr. Baxter. I'll not be doing anything to bring additional pressure onto our hobby. I'm not of 'that' ilk! I'd much rather look at wildlife and curious topographical features than buzz commercial buildings and invasively peek into people's private backyards.

Last edited by tmjudd; 01-12-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
tmjudd

Belay my last on the Sherrer thing. I thought that Sherrer was gonna be the 'cat's meow', however. Sherrer systems seem to have certain issues that may not play nice with my needs, nor my confidence. "Darnit, here I go again!" "Back to square one!" So far... DragonLink has been eliminated, so has Sherrer. Time to start looking at other options. EZUHF is now up to bat...