Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Older DX7~want to replace or upgrade battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:52 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older DX7~want to replace or upgrade battery

Due to health conditions for the last couple of years I have been away from the RC hobby for awhile.
I have an older DX7 that has the older ni-MH 9.6 v 1500 mah battery in it and I don't know if I should trust it.
Apparently this battery is no longer made? So what are my options to replace it?
Or should I just consider a newer transmitter?
Most likely the DX 6 would be all I need anyway.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:12 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you already have a charger that will properly charge LiFe (LeFePO4) type batteries?

If so, I'd recommend a 3 cell LiFe battery - the voltage is nominally 9.9 volts, pretty close to the 9.6 your TX was designed for. Some folks do use LiPo batteries, but the higher voltage (11.1V nominal) just means more thermal stress on internal regulators, etc.

Like this, for example: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...tter-pack.html

You would have to either remove it from the TX to charge it, or charge it through the balance lead if your charger supports that. I use a Revolectrix Cellpro Multi-4 charger, and it charges through the balance leads of a pack. You would NOT want to use your original Spektrum charger to charge a LiFe battery.

If you would prefer to find a same-type (NiMh) replacement battery, and use your original charger in the radio like you're used to, I can recommend maxxpacks.com. I just had some custom battery packs made by www.maxxpacks.com - and their website lists batteries for Spektrum TX, you'd look for a 9.6V NiMh battery such as this: http://www.maxxpacks.com/product_info.php?cPath=174_416&products_id=1600 I found the guys at Maxxpacks good to work with, and it might be worth a look or a phone call (their number is on their website) to tell them what you're looking for.

other places like www.radicalrc.com make similar battery packs, the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are popular NiMh type batteries because of their low self-discharge rate - you can charge them up, and come back some time later and find them pretty well still charged. Earlier NiMh batteries would self-discharge enough that they'd have to be charged again.

Last edited by fizzwater2; 01-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 PM
crapshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes have a look on Ebay under [ transmitter / receiver batteries ] and select the LiFe battery of atleast 1600 mah plus. i run a 2600 pack in my JR 9x tranny and i must say i don,t need to charge it for a good 2 months between uses. just make sure you have the correct charger for this battery type as the nicad charger will not work .