Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hiec HG3XA gyro set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 AM
scattermaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiec HG3XA gyro set up questions

Hi guys,
I installed a HiTec HG3XA stabilizer into my Estrellita EF1 pylon racer and I"m having 2 issues that are not covered in the manual and I need some help.
Gyro location is not per the manual:
My root chord is about 10.5". The center of the gyro is about 3" behind the CG. I can't put it on the CG because the flight battery is there. Maybe that my issue but it seems like it should still work.??

After plugging in my flight battery, I let the gyro initiate. Then I flip the 3 way switch several times so that the center is all set up. It should be ready for flight. I take off with the switch in the middle so the gyro is turned "off" and the plane flys normally. Pylon style turns are just right.
( NOTE, I'm not using the gyro on my rudder. ONLY use it on elevator and aileron.)

Then after a few laps I turn it on in "rate" mode. (normal mode?)
Suddenly my turns are really long and wide. Like the gyro is limiting my servo travel to less than my commands.
I go back to "off" mode and the plane returns to normal behavior.
In Heading Hold, the plane turns TOO TIGHT. Like the gyro is making the servos travel MORE than my commands.

I started with the gains really low and increased them over a few flights until they are almost all the way up.. Changing them doesn't seem to help.
Any ideas?
thx,
Jim

I'm running a Spectrum DX8 TX.
Travel for elevator and ailerons is at 100%
I limit my throws using the rate switches and fly in "low" rate.
Rate settings:
Elevator- L/R 40% up/25% down (30% expo) This gives me about 3/16" up travel. That's all it needs at full speed.
Aileron- L/R 70% (30% expo)

Last edited by scattermaster; 02-26-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This does not sound like the gyro is operating abnormally. In Stabilized mode (blue light) it will soften the controls (depending on gain settings) and will help to stabilize the aircraft in turbulent air. You will also notice that it will keep you from over controlling the aircraft by not allowing the servos to move as quickly- they will still move the full amount, just not as fast. In Heading Hold mode (red light) it will make the aircraft maintain its last heading. The example we use is if you put the aircraft into knife edge flight in HH mode and release the sticks then the gyro will hold the airplane in that knife edge all on its own until the HH mode is turned off or you fly the aircraft out of the knife.

I would advise against using the gyro in HH mode on your airplane. Being so far behind the CG can definitely affect it, your best bet is to try and move the gyro as close as possible to the CG. If not possible then you may not see any kind of improvement.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Paul Jarvis
My Feedback: (40)

Scattermaster.........Express is exactly correct.........I have 6 of the gyros in my 1/3 scale planes being used on the rudder (and after a 35mph cross-wind at last year's Scale Master Qualifier in Mesa, Az., I put the new Hitec gyro
in everything).........the problem you're experiencing is due to the fact that you're wanting the gyro to do both jobs (HH and Rate) perfectly.........listen to anything Express says, and stay away from HH in an airplane.........set your gain for Rate operating like you want ..........tiny amounts of HH are the basis of the newer stabilization systems, but if you're going to try HH in an airplane, use the experience of the jet pilots who use it on the rudder only for takeoff.........best of flying season........
Paul Jarvis (Team Hitec-Pilot)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 AM
GrantL
My Feedback: (3)

Default HG3XA gyro and CG positioning

I want to install a HG3XA in my glider but placing the gyro on the CG is not possible... It will have to go approx 5 to 6" in front of the CG. Will the unit still work and what should I expect to see with the gyro so far in front of the CG?

Also... can the unit be mounted upside down?

Thanks
Grant

Last edited by GrantL; 07-09-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Paul Jarvis

Hi Grant.......not a problem putting the gyro 5 to 6 inches ahead of the CG (it will simply make the elevator response a little quicker------so adjust the elev. gain to about 1/3 of the pot rotation)..........if it's ahead of the CG, but on the center line of the fuselage, the ailerons and rudder will be fine (set those pots at 1/2 gain).........be sure to look at the gyro closely to insert the plugs correctly......also, you did not ask me about what switch (and how much value on each position of a 3-way switch) to use........can only assume you know about that.........some new users of the Hitec Gyro are also not familier with how to reverse it (not in the trans. reversing servo section, and not in the switch values).......read the directions on "reversing" in the instructions...........actually, if this seems like too much to type back and forth to each other, just call me at 970-846-8800 (be sure and leave a return number if you were to get my "voicemail".......we are here to help you.......thanks........
Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Paul Jarvis

Grant.......I forgot to mention that mounting the gyro upside down, will cause the controls to be backwards.........also, you can write directly to me at ([email protected]) if you like........phone would still be much faster, then you can post the results of our call so that others can learn from your experiences.........
Paul (Team Hitec-Pilot)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It doesn't matter where in relation to the CG that you mount a gyro.

That bit of misinformation has been floating around the rc ranks for a while but it has no effect on gyro performance as long as the unit is flat and in an area where its not picking up excess vibration.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Paul Jarvis

Hi Andy...........yes, truthfully you are correct...........most manufacturers give the instructions so the new comers have some discipline.........you can not believe some of the things I see in planes and helis (acutally, you probably have seen the same)........by the way, beautiful helis (some look like Vario)........I was at IRCHA with a Vario Bell Jet Ranger in 2004........have sense gone back to Giant Scale Planes........

Old 07-11-2017, 04:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Agreed. I haven't updated that gallery since Facebook LOL that stuff isn't all mine but yes I have a Vario 206 thats been modified to be an Army OH-58 Kiowa. I'm mainly into big planes, and yes I've seen some.....unusual setups

If you're on Facebook send me a friend request, Andrew Griffith, I'm on Tanners friends list.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM
GrantL

Default 3 way position switch

Originally Posted by Paul Jarvis
Hi Grant.......not a problem putting the gyro 5 to 6 inches ahead of the CG (it will simply make the elevator response a little quicker------so adjust the elev. gain to about 1/3 of the pot rotation)..........if it's ahead of the CG, but on the center line of the fuselage, the ailerons and rudder will be fine (set those pots at 1/2 gain).........be sure to look at the gyro closely to insert the plugs correctly......also, you did not ask me about what switch (and how much value on each position of a 3-way switch) to use........can only assume you know about that.........some new users of the Hitec Gyro are also not familier with how to reverse it (not in the trans. reversing servo section, and not in the switch values).......read the directions on "reversing" in the instructions...........actually, if this seems like too much to type back and forth to each other, just call me at 970-846-8800 (be sure and leave a return number if you were to get my "voicemail".......we are here to help you.......thanks........

Hi Paul... What were the 3 way switch settings again... I was driving when we talked... I'm assuming these are the settings for the end points.. Is that correct?

Thanks
Grant

PS... Hi Andy... It's been awhile..
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Paul Jarvis

Hi Grant........sorry for not getting back sooner.........use any 3 position switch and set it up just like "Dual Rates", except that the so-called "Off" position should have "20" which will give you a "blue" light and the rate postion.......the middle position should have "50" and that will turn off the gyro and yield "no" light........lastly, the last position should have a value of "80" which will give you "heading hold" and a "red" light........good luck, and let me know how it goes.......

Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 PM
GrantL

Hi Grant........sorry for not getting back sooner.........use any 3 position switch and set it up just like "Dual Rates", except that the so-called "Off" position should have "20" which will give you a "blue" light and the rate postion.......the middle position should have "50" and that will turn off the gyro and yield "no" light........lastly, the last position should have a value of "80" which will give you "heading hold" and a "red" light........good luck, and let me know how it goes.......

Hi Paul,

I have a Futaba 72mhz 9c... I've asigned ch7 to the 3 way switch... when I go into the end point section.. I have 100% Center 100%
So... first switch is 100%, Center switch I'm assuming is 0% (off), and the 3rd postion is 100% opposite end...
What should I set these at?

Thanks
Grant

Last edited by GrantL; 07-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Paul Jarvis

No Grant.........-0- is not off...........50 is off........the closer you get to -0-, that's "rate" (blue light)..........that's why I told you to use 20.........use 80 for the "heading hold" (red light)...........that's the way all of the gyros work when controlled with an off/on switch (the Futaba's, the J R'. ,the Hitec, and all the rest.........got it?????.........the middle position with the 3 way switch is "off".......you can decide if you want "rate" or "heading hold" toward you or away from you with the switch.........if "rate" is away from you, assign it's value to 20........and the "heading hold" is toward you, assign it's value to 80...........does that help?????

Paul
Old 07-13-2017, 03:59 PM
GrantL

No Grant.........-0- is not off...........50 is off........the closer you get to -0-, that's "rate" (blue light)..........that's why I told you to use 20.........use 80 for the "heading hold" (red light)...........that's the way all of the gyros work when controlled with an off/on switch (the Futaba's, the J R'. ,the Hitec, and all the rest.........got it?????.........the middle position with the 3 way switch is "off".......you can decide if you want "rate" or "heading hold" toward you or away from you with the switch.........if "rate" is away from you, assign it's value to 20........and the "heading hold" is toward you, assign it's value to 80...........does that help?????

Paul
Understood... 1st position 20 (Away from me) = rate Center = Off 3rd position 80 (Toward me) = HH

Thanks Paul
Grant

Last edited by GrantL; 07-13-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Paul Jarvis

Now you got it........if you have any problems, drop me a note..........Paul
Old 07-16-2017, 03:44 AM
GrantL

Hi Paul...
Will you explain why wouldn't you leave the end points at 100% in the transmitter? Why bring them down to 20 to 80%?
Thanks
Grant
Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 AM
Paul Jarvis

I'm up this morning this early to help a good friend maiden his 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup from Balsa USA (Hi, Greg).........and, the settings I use are nothing more than me being conservative.......basically some transmitters will put the gyro in the "off "position between 40 and 60........so for "rate" I set mine half way between 0 and 40 (hence 20)........and likewise, for "HH" I set it half way between 60 and 100 (hence 80)........just me being me...........will also mention that some transmitters (like the Hitec 9X will "end point" at 150, not 100 like the older radios..........and the European radios (like the Hitec/Multiplex Atlantis 24 will end point at 500..........you can experiment with your radio and see just what number does what--------many have noticed that many transmitters will shut off the gyro at anywhere between 45 and 55........understand????........no big deal, play with it to learn..........if you would like to see some of my scale planes, go to (Hitecrcd.com), slide over to "Team", and scroll down to my name..........enjoy.........

Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 AM
GrantL

I'm up this morning this early to help a good friend maiden his 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup from Balsa USA (Hi, Greg).........and, the settings I use are nothing more than me being conservative.......basically some transmitters will put the gyro in the "off "position between 40 and 60........so for "rate" I set mine half way between 0 and 40 (hence 20)........and likewise, for "HH" I set it half way between 60 and 100 (hence 80)........just me being me...........will also mention that some transmitters (like the Hitec 9X will "end point" at 150, not 100 like the older radios..........and the European radios (like the Hitec/Multiplex Atlantis 24 will end point at 500..........you can experiment with your radio and see just what number does what--------many have noticed that many transmitters will shut off the gyro at anywhere between 45 and 55........understand????........no big deal, play with it to learn..........if you would like to see some of my scale planes, go to (Hitecrcd.com), slide over to "Team", and scroll down to my name..........enjoy.........

Thanks Paul... did a little testing with my tx... Rate turned off at 36 so I set the rate end to 40% HH turned off at 37 so I set that at 40%..

Grant

PS My baby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	2224449   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewTM2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	628.9 KB
ID:	2224450  

Last edited by GrantL; 07-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Paul Jarvis

Hi Grant.......just got back from a day of flying here in Farmngton, N.M. and helped my friend maiden my old 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup..........all went great, and glad to hear all has settled with the gyro.........your Tiger Moth is beautiful (looks like a Pilot Kit---which I built years ago).........

Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 PM
GrantL

Hi Grant.......just got back from a day of flying here in Farmngton, N.M. and helped my friend maiden my old 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup..........all went great, and glad to hear all has settled with the gyro.........your Tiger Moth is beautiful (looks like a Pilot Kit---which I built years ago).........

Thanks Paul... Not a pilot kit.. mostly scratch build from some old plans created by a local gentleman from days of old..
Grant