Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Telemetry Radio Protocols . . ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:49 PM
markfsanderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Futaba Telemetry Radio Protocols . . ..

Greetings!
I noticed that there are two different receiver telemetry protocols available from Futaba; FASSTest and T-FHSS. Can anyone contrast and compare them? Is one 'better' than the other? Will one be phased out in favor of the other in the future? My quick guess given the available info is that FASSTest is the 'higher end' protocol capable of handling more endpoints (servos, telemetry sensors and etc) than the T-FHSS protocol. Getting back into the hobby, not trusting the current Spectrum line and being and ex-JR owner . . . I'm now seriously considering purchasing a Futaba Transmitter. I'm getting back into Airplane and currently am flying electric Helis and Quads. The Futaba T10JH or 14SGH seem to be pretty close to what I want. I'd love to have 7 or 9 point curves, bigger screens and voice though . . . any rumors on new mid-level offerings from Futaba in the near future?
I'm currently on a Spectrum DX6i which is an alright transmitter . . . but I'd like to get something a step or two above. Even when I was very active in nitro helicopters and airplanes some 15 years back I used Futaba servos and Gyros . . . Loved the JR transmitters . . . but didn't like their gyros or servos . . . my knowledge is a bit dated now.

Thanks for any advice or insight you can give . . .

Mark!

Last edited by markfsanderson; 03-04-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
markfsanderson

Nobody has any idea? Wow!

Mark
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by markfsanderson
Nobody has any idea? Wow!

Mark
The Futaba FASSTest (telemetry) protocol is in the higher end Futaba systems. Cost more but is proprietary to Futaba (FASST also) with robust error checking of data being transmitter and/or received. T-FHSS has lower manufacturing cost and is similar to other manufacturers FHSS which is somewhat an opensource protocol that anyone can modify for their system.

I currently use Futaba systems of both protocols with no negative issues, primarily because I trust Futaba's signal link to the receiver over any other manufacturer. I have found JR DMSS to be as reliable as Futaba but other radio manufacturer's systems, in my experience, range from fairly reliable to take your chances!

While more costly, all Futaba telemetry sensors work with both protocols.

Depending on your particular use and budget, either Futaba systems works well.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM
markfsanderson

Dick, Thanks for the response! I had suspected as much . . . I'm hoping that in the near future Futaba will release an updated 14MZ with telemetry . . . I like the SG, but it has only 5 point curve . . . seems like it should have more for a higher end radio . . . any rumors you've heard?

Mark!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Dick T.

You might consider Futaba's latest 18SZ system. Supports FASST, FASSTest, S-FhSS and T-FHSS protocols. Programming similar to the 18MZ at one third the cost.

Mentioned curves are user selectable up to 17 points.

Go to Futaba's web site and download the manual. I have the 18MZ but the 18SZ has almost identical features and capabilities.

Dick T.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
markfsanderson

I love that radio, and I might just spring for it . . . but its hard to swallow the 1100 price tag . . . 1050 with a coupon . . . 700.00 is around my comfort zone . . . maybe one day . . . but for now I can only look on in envy. I might end up springing for the 14SG in the near term . . . I just wish it had 7 or 9 curve points . . . but I can (and have) lived with out them . . . but dang the color display is nice! In the meanwhile I'm using a Spectrum 6i with my Futaba servos and gyros! I'm not too fond of the Spectrum at this time . . .

Mark!

PS: I hope that JR comes back . . . it seems like its not quite dead and not quite alive . . . It appears that Graupner has moved in . . . I have no idea on how reliable those radios are . . .
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Dick T.

Mark, sent you a PM about a 14MZH.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
krokodyl

As Dick T said, FASSTest is a "better" protocol, or atleast more expensive. The T FHSS uses a common chip, which ia lso found in hitec, frsky, airtronics (I think), and many others.

I haven't heard any rumors about a new radio, but wouldn't be too suprised if they did come out with a neww FASSTest mid end radio in the next 1-3 years. There is plenty of 14 sg radios for sale at really cheap prices, because many are selling them to get the new 18 sz.

Plenty of radios to chose from. The dx6i is spektrum's lowest end computerized radio, and I'd keep it for the bnf models, especially the indoor stuf where switching the rx is quite difficult.

Hubert
Old 03-09-2017, 02:39 PM
markfsanderson

Originally Posted by krokodyl
As Dick T said, FASSTest is a "better" protocol, or atleast more expensive. The T FHSS uses a common chip, which ia lso found in hitec, frsky, airtronics (I think), and many others.

I haven't heard any rumors about a new radio, but wouldn't be too suprised if they did come out with a neww FASSTest mid end radio in the next 1-3 years. There is plenty of 14 sg radios for sale at really cheap prices, because many are selling them to get the new 18 sz.

Plenty of radios to chose from. The dx6i is spektrum's lowest end computerized radio, and I'd keep it for the bnf models, especially the indoor stuf where switching the rx is quite difficult.

Hubert
Hubert, thanks for the response! It looks like keeping the 6i for my Blade Inductrix is the way to go . . . or I could buy a Spectrum module. I'm starting to lean towards the MZ-24 . . . it seems like no one has anything really bad to say about the transmitter or the company's support. But if Futaba came out with a competitive mid-range radio . . .

Mark!