RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aloft Taranis Support is Awful!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:16 PM
ftherrmann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aloft Taranis Support is Awful!

Tried several ways to contact Aloft Hobbies for technical support. Simple question which would have been will the LCD $17 replacement fix the "Factory Defect" on my Taranis screen or would I need to order the main board + LCD screen ($70).

Email, phone, Aloft contact form and nothing. No response, No screw you. ZIP, NADA, Went ahead and ordered the $17 LCD screen to fix my Taranis V1 and luckily the replacement worked.

Thanks for NOTHING Aloft. I'll remember this before I buy Taranis again and will also share this experience. Simply moving the boxes and pocketing the money isn't a way to run a business. Good luck.

Here's the response and my reply I got from Aloft on their FB page:

Aloft Hobbies Now Fred, I'm sorry we did not answer your email right away, but I don't think this is fair. Your email was of a technical matter, and it is hard to find qualified people to answer technical questions. We simply do not have enough staff to answer all of our tech emails as quick as we would like.
Reply 1 hr

Aloft Hobbies We do an awful lot to bring improvements to the hobby and the FrSky ecosystem. I think our overall track record shows this very well. We do work very hard to take good care of our customers.
Reply 1 hr

Fred Herrmann Aloft Hobbies I dare to disagree. FrSky along with its OpenTx is built largely on the unpaid work of developers who YOU make your money off of, unlike Spectrum, Futaba and others.

Which leads me to the outright theft of the intellectual property shown in the V1 Taranis which is obviously a physical copy of a Spectrum radio.

Fred Herrmann "Fred, I'm sorry we did not answer your email right away..."

Oh baloney! I made my first attempt to contact you on Monday, before I ordered the LCD screen.

You had enough time to run the charge for the LCD screen.

You had enough time to ship the LCD screen.

But you didn't have enough time to provide a simple one line, or maybe even one word answer to my question by Friday!

Word is getting around. Here's a response from a person in another RC group that I got a few minutes after I posted my Aloft experience... "Yep, same problem here. I contacted Aloft about an issue with a receiver several days ago......no response." - MD

I've actually received better product support from Hobby King!

Like I told you on the phone: If you're really that "sorry" refund the $20 I spent repairing the Taranis factory defect.

PS: Other, respected manufacturer's have treated LCD trace de-lamination as a factory defect and in my own experience have actually replaced the LCD along with the entire microprocessor that was attached to it.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:14 AM
crawler tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dang, all that anger over a $20 issue? Maybe FrSky isn't for you. I'm sure Futaba would be happy to take $1000 or more from you....
Old 06-04-2017, 08:17 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you try contacting FrSky about this issue? As they make the product, they would have all the technical answers you are looking for.

Why have the re-seller replace a factory defect? Send it back to FrSky for a factory defect.

Buzz.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler tech View Post
Dang, all that anger over a $20 issue? Maybe FrSky isn't for you. I'm sure Futaba would be happy to take $1000 or more from you....
Yep set your expectations low enough you'll never be disappointed. Right along with You get what you pay for. LOL
Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 PM
049flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I doubt you could even buy the parts from any other manufacturer, and if you could they would be several times more expensive than FRSky.

FrSky products are not for the beginner or the sort of person that needs "hand holding" from factory reps. They are designed for hobbyists, folks that like doing things themselves. The kind of folks that like to build their own planes and fiddle with engines.

There is plenty of help available from online sources like this website and others. FrSky products are crowd supported, that is one of the ways they keep their costs down and the radios so inexpensive. Crowd supported products are not unusual in the high tech industry. One must be willing to seek help from other hobbyists.

I agree the OP is probably not the ideal target customer for the Taranis.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Jack28

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you had a problem with the Taranis not the vendor. Like the previous post stated why not contact frsky for this issue? If you bought a Sony tv and had an issue a few months later - who would you call for support?

And you question regarding what you need to replace is unfair - your asking someone to diagnose the issue without having the radio in front of them. What if they guessed and told you it was the board - you buy the board and install it and it doesn't work - I imagine you would be crying about that too. Come on 17.00 and your radio is fixed ! You really didn't need anyone to hold your hand- problem solved.

jack
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I expect my order from Aloft to be in the mailbox today, I have been treated well by those folks and your post does nothing to deter that.
Chill out, if I am not satisfied with a business I simply go elsewhere.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 AM
FalconWings

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought the idea of buying FrSky and its derivatives was the convenience that they are disposable??

Search this Thread