Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX20 - Recall problem

Old 06-20-2017, 06:53 AM
rsdeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my setup is wrong? or an normal flying day my dx20 decid stop to work? off course, don't forget this happened after the recall...
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdeus
Andy,
thanks for the answer...
One of the mix is to use the "crow" or "butterfly" setup... to use like speed brakes...

Sorry but I did 8 flights with this setup, now I don't have the radio in my hands I told you in previously post.
So you trying to told me that, I can have an setup in my dx20 that, some times can works and some times not?

Sorry but if this is the Horizon position, so I prefer to put this radio in the garbage to risk all my jets with an unsafe radio...

If the Horizon don't change this radio for an new one... really... this is the final point for me...
I'm coming late to this thread. I'm trying to help you. To help you, I need to know how things are connected so I can understand what you are trying to do.

You can't do Crow unless you have two independent ailerons. So what you are telling me is that you selected 1 AIL 2 FLAP and then make a manual mix to create left and right ailerons. My question is, WHY? If you select 2 AIL 2 FLAP then you have access to crow function by mixing to left aileron instead of to right aileron. Is the wrong wing type and manual mix because you did not know how to use back mixing? Or is there a reason that it must be done the way you did it? Or is it because you are doing something that isn't obvious? I don't know - please, explain!

You have created second rudder by copying the rudder output to a second place. That's OK, it works, but for drag brakes on the rudder you want to mix to left rudder. Or is the second rudder for nosewheel? I don't know - I ask for information so I can understand your programming. Your programming is far from conventional, and I need to sort it out.

You may not have the radio in your hands, but you have the airplane. Is it too much to look at the receiver and identify which servo is going to which plug?

I am not yet convinced that your problem is not due to a mis-configuration. With all the complicated programming you have done, and no explanation for the reason, it is very difficult to be convinced in either direction.

Please answer the questions so I can help you.

When the technicians get your transmitter, they are going to avoid the programming issues by going to a new, default model and looking for proper operation there. I'm trying to help you so that we all have good information when they ask me for help.

The intermittent operation you experience could simply be a configuration issue that occurs when certain conditions are met.

Andy
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 AM
AndyKunz

So my setup is wrong? or an normal flying day my dx20 decid stop to work? off course, don't forget this happened after the recall...
Your setup is wrong for a plane with 2 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos, and 2 rudder servos.

Andy
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM
rsdeus

Andy one more update... In this day that the problem happened, I created an new model and the ailerons didn't works...
sorry but your explanation not make sense for me...
I'll tell you again... This radio has and deffect or something was wrong with this recall...
I never saw an radio with this characteristics...
I know that this recall involves some items about plug, wires and gimbals...

Now I heard that one day the radio can stop to works some commands...
I can't imagine an radio that you can do an setup... works and one day stop to work...
The local dealer told me that before send it to horizon he did some tests with an new model and the ailerons in "servo monitor" was working... And one week before I created an new model and the problems happened...

DX20 is a nice option... to fly expensive planes.. you can have an amazing surprise one day
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM
rsdeus

This was my last message...
I'll talk now only after an analyses in my dx20.

Sorry
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM
AndyKunz

Andy one more update... In this day that the problem happened, I created an new model and the ailerons didn't works...
OK, that's very important information to add. It means I just wasted an hour, and that your radio is on the way back to correct. Be sure the technicians get that information!

Andy
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 AM
rsdeus

Of course, you only know to said that I'm wrong...
I told you previously that I send the radio to Horizon yesterday...
I can't imagine why you can't imagine that my radio can had an defect...
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 AM
AndyKunz

Nope, not a matter of all at not imagining that it had a problem. Having a convoluted configuration in it, with no explanation of how things are attached, incomplete information, etc. quickly made the configuration suspect as well as the transmitter itself.

I was simply trying to help you understand that there ARE ways you can program yourself into a corner and not realize it, thinking it is a fault with the hardware when it's simply a fault with configuration.

I'm glad to hear you'll be getting it back fixed.

Andy
Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 AM
rsdeus

Andy,
like I told you previously, WHEN this problem happened, I created an new model and I had the same problem, with an new model with an new setup, I didn't tested it in a plane but the ailerons in servo monitor didn't move.
I sent the radio to our local dealer, he told me that he test it creating an new model and the ailerons was moving normally, like I told you previously is a intermittent problem and happened in my plane setup and WHEN this happened I tried adding an new model and I saw the same problem, I don't have an video with me showing the servo monitor with an new model created.
For me this started after the recall, but I can't prove this because I bought this radio before to use with an plane spektrum noticed the recall and only after this I did some flights and the problem started...

For me is a hardware issue but now I prefer an Spektrum analyses this my case.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 AM
AndyKunz

I'm sure as soon as it gets here it will go through our superb technicians for rectification.

Andy
Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Hi Andy,
The spm file is attached.
Now you can check it.
The RCU forum only accepts some files extensions so I had to put the spm file in a zip file.
Hi guys, i had RCU tech fix the issues, you can now directly upload SPM files again. This is something that got missed with the upgrade.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM
rsdeus

Question

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I'm sure as soon as it gets here it will go through our superb technicians for rectification.

Andy

Hi Andy,
I checked status of my DX20 and is ready to ship...
Can you explain what was the issue found?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM
megafly

I Have a Dx20 too, and was concerned about that. I'ts very scary to think a gimbal can stop working at anytime.
Can Spektrum guys tell us what was the problem, and the fix?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM
AndyKunz

Hi Andy,
I checked status of my DX20 and is ready to ship...
Can you explain what was the issue found?
No, I work in Engineering. Service is in another building.

They put the work performed and findings on the PDF they send you when work is completed.

Andy
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
rsdeus

Wink

Originally Posted by megafly
I Have a Dx20 too, and was concerned about that. I'ts very scary to think a gimbal can stop working at anytime.
Can Spektrum guys tell us what was the problem, and the fix?

Thanks.
I will describe here what was the issue megafly

Last edited by rsdeus; 06-28-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
rsdeus

Wink

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
No, I work in Engineering. Service is in another building.

They put the work performed and findings on the PDF they send you when work is completed.

Andy

Ok...
so... according with the last update from Horizon, the gimbal presented deffect and it was changed...
nothing related with setup like you told me...

Now, if you have any questions, you can cross the street and go to the another building and ask them
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM
AndyKunz

We figured out a long time ago when you finally gave ALL the information that it wasn't a problem with the configuration. No need to ask any questions. You're radio is coming back to you fixed. That's what matters.

Andy
Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM
joeytowmotor

Default Be cautious.

Very disturbing when customers asks a manufacturer or distributor why a newly purchased piece of critical equipment is being recalled and the specifics of the issues are not revealed.

I simply contacted my credit card company and provided a detailed explanation with documentation to them and requested a full refund. Eventually I did get my refund and I was not required to return the equipment.

I eventually had the transmitter case opened and a visual and diagnostic inspection followed. Guess what? Lets just say that It was fortunate that I did not attempt to fly my large, heavy and expensive aircraft with this radio. In the opinion of an electrical engineering department there were substandard components and questionable quality of assembly and poor component layout.

If possible I will post a video of the inspection process and the engineers findings. Check google for links when and if I can share with all of you. Thanks and fly safely!

Don"t allow manufactures to be arrogant and unreasonable and treat you like a child.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by joeytowmotor
Very disturbing when customers asks a manufacturer or distributor why a newly purchased piece of critical equipment is being recalled and the specifics of the issues are not revealed.

I simply contacted my credit card company and provided a detailed explanation with documentation to them and requested a full refund. Eventually I did get my refund and I was not required to return the equipment.

I eventually had the transmitter case opened and a visual and diagnostic inspection followed. Guess what? Lets just say that It was fortunate that I did not attempt to fly my large, heavy and expensive aircraft with this radio. In the opinion of an electrical engineering department there were substandard components and questionable quality of assembly and poor component layout.

If possible I will post a video of the inspection process and the engineers findings. Check google for links when and if I can share with all of you. Thanks and fly safely!

Don"t allow manufactures to be arrogant and unreasonable and treat you like a child.
Well if you've found the radio to be defective and got your money back, then that should mean we won't have to put up with you anymore?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 AM
joeytowmotor

Default Oz?

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well if you've found the radio to be defective and got your money back, then that should mean we won't have to put up with you anymore?
Wow. Maybe we should all check with you and get your edits and approval before posting on this site? Fly safely!