RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrySky Taranis vs Futaba T16SZ

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM
musicminister187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FrySky Taranis vs Futaba T16SZ

I've been delaying getting into this hobby for a long time now but I'm about to take the leap. This would be my first radio and I'm looking for something future proof. After much research it's either Taranis or Futaba. If I go Taranis it would be the upgraded "GetFPV M9" version but the carbon is out. This would be for different type models; from sailplanes (which I'm starting with), drones (FPV), gas planes and even long range FPV in the future. The only other brand I would consider after much research is Graupner but very unlikely because of it being less popular.

The price of the Taranis is good but it has been around for quite some time and don't want to get something that has done it's time. I'm wondering if I should go with the Taranis, get the Futaba later or wait for the soon to be released T16SZ I need a radio that feels good and that can easily handle UHF customization. A reliable link is the most important factor for me.

My Questions: Which is known for better range? Is it easy to use Futaba with long range systems? What are the Futaba's main limitations? Is a Futaba T16SZ more future proof than a Taranis X9d Plus although it's open source? Should I be too concerned about not having a radio that talks to me? Is Graupner as good as these middle ground Futabas? Thanks!

PS: I don't care for Horizon BNF stuff. Thank you.

Last edited by musicminister187; 06-28-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot a word or two
Old 06-28-2017, 04:23 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The responses to this should be quite interesting so I think I'll stick around to see just how it turns out. By the way my vote is for the FrSky Horus.

Last edited by karolh; 06-28-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM
ican3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My vote definitely on Frsky, any radio that have TX module upgradable and backed with community forum support (http://openrcforums.com/forum/) and also custom upgrades (http://www.open-tx.org/) gets my vote. Been flying FPV long range on FrSky a lot. Was ex-Futaba user here.

Flying on Frsky tx:

Last edited by ican3d; 06-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM
musicminister187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Horus has a lot of range issues according to videos and forums. I'm not sure if it has been sorted.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 PM
musicminister187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
My vote definitely on Frsky, any radio that have TX module upgradable and backed with community forum support (openrcforums - Index page) and also custom upgrades (http://www.open-tx.org/) gets my vote. Been flying FPV long range on FrSky a lot. Was ex-Futaba user here.

Flying on Frsky tx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud4Z8SLtzwA
Thanks, what Futaba radio did you own?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM
ican3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicminister187 View Post
Thanks, what Futaba radio did you own?

Used to own Futaba T8J (2.4) and Futaba 6EX (72 crystal) for several years before our community get hit with signal lost flying nearby town and wifi tower. Then got into FrSky ACCT protocol....sold my Futaba. Had many happy long range flight since then.
Only use Futaba and Sanwa for racing R/C cars only, FrSky for flying.

Last edited by ican3d; 06-28-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM
musicminister187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Used to own Futaba T8J (2.4) and Futaba 6EX (72 crystal) for several years before our community get hit with signal lost flying nearby town and wifi tower. Then got into FrSky ACCT protocol....sold my Futaba. Had many happy long range flight since then.
Are you using the X9D? Are you familiar with the Horus?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 AM
paulahills

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Futaba is a 7 channel radio and is actually more expensive than the Taranis which has - more channels - telemetry - open source programming - a better battery - etc, etc etc
Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I too had very similar issues and switched from Futaba to FrSky ACCT protocol and all my problems went away.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
The Horus has a lot of range issues according to videos and forums. I'm not sure if it has been sorted.
Although it looked like a range problem, it was never was. It was a firmware problem in the RF board that was causing the receiver go through a very fast failsafe and then reconnect. FrSky got on the problem very quickly and had a fix in firmware release 1.2.20. October 28, 2016. It was highly intermittent and I never experienced the problem.

The Horus X12S is an amazing system.

Mike

Last edited by 8178; 07-16-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
musicminister187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8178 View Post
Although it looked like a range problem, it was never was. It was a firmware problem in the RF board that was causing the receiver go through a very fast failsafe and then reconnect. FrSky got on the problem very quickly and had a fix in firmware release 1.2.20. October 28, 2016. It was highly intermittent and I never experienced the problem.

The Horus X12S is an amazing system.

Mike
Thanks Mike, input appreciated.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Thanks Mike, input appreciated.
There are some X12S high resolution images posted here on RCU The amazing FrSky Horus X12S

Search this Thread