Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6J6

Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Futaba 6J6

Anyone using one? I just ordered one as it is a better value than the Spektrum stuff I have been using for the past six years. Not much in the way of info or reviews on this radio out there. Just need a reliable system for sport flying that can handle flying a few times a week.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Calvinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will be happy with the radio, I own a Futaba T6EX and about the only thing I can nit pic with it is that it does not have a timer like the radio you are getting and it is useless as a master radio in a buddy box set up unless the slave radio is fully programable and is set up and trimmed for the model being flown. I bought a Futaba T10cHG and even with it as the master the slave has to be set to the correct model (lucky for me the radio is already set up for all my aircraft). This is not supposed to be the case with the T10CHG as there is the option to select which radios programming to use for each channel, but it is either non functional or I am doing something wrong.

I realize the buddy box thing probably has no bearing with how you are going to use your radio but maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Calvi
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 AM
thailazer

Thanks Calvin. Hopefully someone can reply with an answer to your settings questions. Some of those configurations can be hard to find on modern equipment, no matter what it is.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Calvinman

Your Welcome thailazer, I see by your signature you fly a tiger, I am thinking of updating my 25 year old tiger that is mostly epoxy now with the new tiger
Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM
thailazer

Wow! A 25 years old Tiger! I know how that goes... I flew one for years several times a week and one day I could not make the runway with 40 MPH winds outflowing from a thunder storm. Broke the airplane up but that epoxy got it back in the air!

I just picked up a Phoneix Models Tiger and it is almost an exact copy of the Tiger 2. I am not big on ARFs but with a price tag of 109 bucks on the ARF and 119 on the Tiger kit, minus monokote and numerous other costs, I sprung for the ARF. I flew it for the first time last week and it flew exactly like the kit version which I sold in Thailand when I left. I could not trim the nose down for high speed flight on the maiden flight and that is when I found out my Spektrum transmitter trim lever was not working. I have had longer life with Futaba products so going back to them at this point.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Calvinman

I like to build as much as I like to fly so even though it well end up costing close to double of an arf I will go with the kit.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 PM
thailazer

Well, I got the transmitter today and I like it already. Much easier to find the functions needed, and the manual is miles ahead of the Spektrum's. Now to install it in a plane and see how it performs.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by Calvinman
I like to build as much as I like to fly so even though it well end up costing close to double of an arf I will go with the kit.
I like to build as well. I just got an old Craft Air Mystique kit off of eBay that I will build up this winter. I have some scratch projects planned as well so will have to get some more Futaba receivers to install in those.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 PM
thailazer

I would like to put a NiMH battery pack in the transmitter, but it looks like a 5 cell AA pack would not fit. What battery packs are folks installing in the 6J6?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:02 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by thailazer
I would like to put a NiMH battery pack in the transmitter, but it looks like a 5 cell AA pack would not fit. What battery packs are folks installing in the 6J6?
Okay.... Got the short AA 5 cell pack and modified the back cover and it fits perfect. Now the next challenge... finding a charger plug that will fit! Looks like it is a 3.5 mm coaxial plug with a 1.3 mm inner pin.

Last edited by thailazer; 08-31-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:04 PM
DaveHickey

I've been using a Turnigy 1100mah 2 cell LiFe pack. Unplug the AA holder and plug in the LiFe. Charge it with your regular LiPo charger set for LiFe batts so it doesn't get overvoltage. D.H.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 AM
thailazer

A few hours of flying and a gallon of fuel down now on the 6J and I like it. The throttle curve programming is great as I like to shoot a lot of touch-and-go's. I ended up buying another system so I can convert all my planes to a single transmitter type.

The 5 cell NiMH battery fits great and a 10 foot charger cable with the 1.3mm connector is available from www.allelectronics.com as part number CB-310.