RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What are these?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM
MaxSouthoz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What are these?

Hi all
I bought an AR9350 Spektrum radio for my 1/4 scale Pawnee build.
In the pack were two square black plastic devices, branded SPM9645, with two grey wires coming from the sides near one end.
These wires resemble the antenna wires on the receiver.
On the other end is a small white square 3 pin jack socket.
In the pack are two cables (grey, orange, black), with 3 pin plugs which match the sockets on the devices.
One is 150mm (6 inches), long and the other is 300mm (12 inches), long.

Google says that they are remote satellite receivers.
On each side of the AR9350 is a row of sockets. 3 - 4 - 3 pins, marked L XBUS and RPM or TEMP on one side; and 3 - 3 - 4 marked VOLT B and SENSOR on the other side.
I can't find any mention of these devices in the AR9350 manual and there were no instructions in their pack.

I'm guessing that they plug into the sockets L and B on the receiver?
If so, which lead (long or short), goes into which?

What is the purpose of these devices?

Spektrum Product Support has not replied to my email request for help.

Thanks in advance.
Max
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Satellite receivers give you redundancy when the attitude of the aircraft happens to provide a "radio shadow" over your primary receiver. So having said that, it is important that you install the satellites in different orientations and locations on the aircraft. The length of the 3-wire cables should give you some flexibility on mounting locations. Spektrum sells those wires in multiple lengths for further flexibility.

As far as mounting the satellites themselves, I found this video. (I have not watched it)
Antenna Placement When Using Remote Receivers: Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

I assume that "L" and "B" would be the correct locations to connect these satellites. I am just going by elimination using the labels of the other ports. I have no experience with this type of receiver.

I hope that helps.
Rafael
Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM
DGrant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would suggest posting your question into this forum:

JR Radio & Spektrum Radios - RCU Forums

There's a few people that read and respond that really know their stuff, and can quickly guide you I think...

Rafael is correct that those are satellite receivers, both should be used, and placed to give the best array for reception. I see you're Googling, and there is great info there... albeit sometimes hard to find... and the AR9350 is relatively new as well.. so there's not much on that specific unit, but search other high-end Spektrum receivers and you'll gain much more knowledge on how and why it all hooks up as it does... as I've found most of this higher end stuff works, and is configured in very similar ways... once you have a few basics.

If this is your first Spektrum system there is a learning curve, but once you get some basics it will all make sense. I use Futaba as well, and I find Spektrum a whole different world... even though I've used them for years. It's all pretty easy when you get used to it. I still ask 1000 questions though on new stuff myself. I recently stepped into a DX18G2 and telemetry...and even though I've used my trusty DX7 for years.. there's a big learning curve... even though I have Spektrum experience already.... so just keep asking questions and Googling.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 PM
MaxSouthoz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi DG
Thanks for your interest. I'll have a look at the forum.
The link Rafael sent me was excellent - and Horizon got back to me with more links and advice.
I now know a lot about satellite receivers - in fact I found out that my AR 9350 won't work without the two they sent me.
I've ordered some longer leads for them to get better placement in the aircraft as well.

Wow! A DX18G2! I'm green!
I received a Spektrum DXe in the box with my Apprentice and I'm happy with that.
When I bought the DX9/AR9350 combo, I also bought the Phoenix simulator, and while the DX9 has many more bells and whistles, I don't feel the need to bind it to the Apprentice.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Max
Old 11-18-2017, 04:34 PM
DGrant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perfect. Just fly that Apprentice as it all is until the wings fall off. Use the DXe as long as you can with that plane. The DX9 will lead you into much more sophisticated planes and the DX9 and receivers much like what you have will do quite a bit depending on how they're set up...... and better yet you get ideas!!! Have fun!!

Here's a forum that might help greatly with the DX9 and accessories....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ns-and-Answers

It seems more transmitter oriented,... which is why I'd not mentioned it before... but check it out. I've followed it for years. They helped me alot,...really just doing searches and reading.. but I've posted up too and always got great info... quickly.
Good luck with it.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 PM
MaxSouthoz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, DG.
I will have a look.

Search this Thread