Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to set up Model Select in Spektrum DX9?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 PM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face How to set up Model Select in Spektrum DX9?

Hi All
Is there a check list somewhere on how to set up each Model in the DX9?

The Manual wrongly assumes that I have the smarts to work it out.

I have two models so far and I have bound one to the TX and the TX works on the Phoenix as well.

I've got as far as holding the wheel while I turn the power on.

Cheers
Max
Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 AM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may access Model Select with the transmitter switched on by pressing the "Back" and "Clear" buttons simultaneously. Page 16 in the manual provides the steps to create a new model.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
MaxSouthoz

Yes. Thanks. I have already got that far, but there are no instructions as to how to actually insert the name of the model.

The default is Acro. How do I change that to the name of the model?

Do I select the model when I bind it? That and many other questions are not covered in the Manual.

Cheers
Max
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

May I suggest that you find a local club who you can associate with for help on things like radio and model setup? No slight intended but you are way behind the power curve here and most likely will not ever get things going successfully on your own. Most clubs have guys who help train new flyers and usually members that will have a radio similar to yours and most would be happy to help you out with the setup of a model. If you do manage to get a model in the air with no assistance, it's not going to end well.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 PM
MaxSouthoz

Wink

Hi Zeeb. I am a member of a club.

I prefer to work my way through these things myself. Having said that, Todd from Horizon Hobby has been a lot of help.

It's all about the paradigm. Now I understand how Spektrum logic works, I have been able to successfully set up my models in the DX9.

I have had about 20 hours on the Phoenix now, and I look forward to my first flight with my Apprentice.

My question related to an AT-6 Texan I won in a raffle at a recent Scale Open Day. It's now successfully bound and set up in the Model roster.

My 1/4 scale Pawnee 25 should be ready to fly by this time next year, but I expect to transition through other smaller gas club 'planes before then.

A lot of this is down to having confidence. Confidence comes from progressing carefully and logically; asking questions as required.

How much more of a kick will it be, if I can get the Apprentice up into the air and down again in once piece, by myself?
Thanks for your interest.

Cheers
Max
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 PM
MaxSouthoz

For interest sake, here is the answer to my question . . .

1. Open System Set Up. (Hold the scroll wheel down and power on).
2. Go to Model Utilities. (Scroll and then press wheel).
3. Go to Create New Model and press Create.
4. Go back to Model Name (Scroll and then press wheel).
5. Scroll to the name and change the individual letters.
6. Press Back.

Not that hard after all.
Back to the Simulator.
Cheers
Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxSouthoz
Yes. Thanks. I have already got that far, but there are no instructions as to how to actually insert the name of the model.

The default is Acro. How do I change that to the name of the model?

Do I select the model when I bind it? That and many other questions are not covered in the Manual.

Cheers
Max
To set up a model, you start at the top of the System Setup menu (which has the Model Select list) and work top to bottom in order.

If there's something you don't understand or understand that you don't need right now, skip it. You can come back later and change it if necessary.

What you'll find is that Model Name is right there under the Model Select on the menu.

When you finish that menu, go through the Function List (ie, the menu you get from the main screen with your model picture on it). Things there are in the same "do it first" order, with one exception (for safety) - Servo Reverse is the third on the Servo Settings list instead of first.

The WHOLE RADIO is organized so that things are shown in the order you need them to configure and/or maintain a model.

Andy
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM
MaxSouthoz

Thanks, Andy.

And there are multiple ways to get there, as well. For example, Model Utilities is down near the bottom.

Not to worry. I've got it now.

I'm going to go back and re-bind the models, selecting each one of them in the Model Select list first - to see if that is the way to go.

I remember when I first started in digital command control. Now I see nubies having the same problems as I did understanding the paradigms.

Thank goodness for internet forums.

Cheers
Max
Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Be sure and set the fail safes on those models while programming. The practice on the simulator will save you a lot of money, just don't get used to the idea of hitting the reset button when things go bad, always try to get the model back on the ground. It's really easy to get used to that little red button, bur your tx doesn't have one.... lol

The Apprentice should be a good candidate for initial flights, the Texan will most likely be a hand full due to it's narrow gear and higher wing loading.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM
MaxSouthoz

Good advice, Zeeb. I can set one up, but the Apprentice comes with a DXe with a button anyway.

I only fly on the Experienced setting on the simulator, so I'll probably forget to hit the button when I get in the air!

Yes. I offered a flight of the Texan to one of our Instructors and he was very hesitant on the 'phone.

I actually think that the Pawnee won't be as bad as the Texan.

Cheers
Max
Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM
MaxSouthoz

Supplementary question . . .

My reading of the Manual says that the Failsafe is activated automatically if the throttle is left low or off, when binding.

Is that right?

I guess the only way to know for sure is tether the model and run it with throttle and then turn off the TX?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You set the failsafe by binding. The throttle failsafe position is set to whatever position the stick is when binding.

To test, you should remove the prop. When you turn off the tx, the throttle position will move to whatever it was at on bind.

Andy
Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 PM
MaxSouthoz

As I suspected.

Thanks, Andy.