RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14SGA 14-Channel or the 10JA 10-Channel Air T-FHSS System

Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile Futaba 14SGA 14-Channel or the 10JA 10-Channel Air T-FHSS System

Hi guys,

I am ready to make the jump to a new radio. I have been flying with a Futaba 9C – Super radio which I love and have had for years. However when I get out to the field I am the only guy there now with the older FM radio. I am interested in the Futaba 14SGA 14-Channel or the 10JA 10-Channel Air T-FHSS System. Can someone give a brief recommendation for which radio to go with? I don’t have time to research all the radios types and learn all about these new radios between now and Christmas. The wife is asking what I want for Christmas and I cannot think of anything else to tell her but a new radio at this point, so there’s not much time left. So I defer to some of the experts out there for help. I fly Large Scale WWII, Fly Q-500 & Sport Fun-Fly so with that in mind guys what do you suggest?

Thanks
Eddie
Old 12-19-2017, 03:52 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The logic used in the programming is close to your 9C in the 10JA. That being said. You sound like a man that is going to keep your TX 10 years or so. I would do the 14SGA. I am currently using a 10C 2.4 ghz. I used a 9C for many years. I really like both those radios. I'm going to run the 10C as long as it will go. I mention this cause after you get one, please post back here what you like/dislike about your choice.

David
Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile 14SGA & 10J Comparisons:

Hi David,

I see that the 14SGA has what appears to be the latest technology the FASSTest, FASST and S-FHSS protocols. FASSTest which the 10J does not have. Is that correct? It does not have the FASSTest and if so is that just to aid in the Telemetry? I am not to familiar with Telemetry or these new protocols for spread spectrum. I am thinking I like what I see with the 10J so far and the switches seem to represent more closely to the 9C - Super radio I have now. I see the 14SGA has 6 assignable 3-way positon switches, 2 - slide bars and 2 assignable rotary knobs. While the 10J has one variable knob, five 2-position switches, two 3-position switches, one momentary switch, two digital levers. I think I like the idea of having more 2-way positon switches and the overall layout of the switches . I know there just switches and I am sure theres a lot more inside but when your flying it's the sticks and switches and comfortablility that I look for. Of course I want a solid Radio system as well. Especially coming from the 9C - Super.

Ed

Last edited by Electriceddie; 12-20-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:04 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You make good points Ed. I didn't think about the protocols the two units offer. this would also influence me in buying. For one I would want a new radio to function with all my old 2.4 RXs. It sounds like you are on 72mhz so this may not be a big deal to you unless the new RXs are more expensive one way or the other.
I think you are correct about the telemetry part. It's not something I would ever use so it's not a big deal to me. The switch layout sounds a lot like my 9C/10C. One the things I like best about my radios is assigning switches. For example I have a spoileron mix on a few of my planes that I use the trainer switch for. Pull the trainer , the mix is on and I can let go at any point. I also like the 3 position for my kill switch. Center kill , up or down run.
I wish I could be more help to you on the rest of it. I just have not done the research as I am not quite ready.

David
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Unhappy Just a bit dissapointed:

"Go Fast & Turn Left".......

Joined Feb 2013150 Posts

Hi Guys,

I got the Radio for Christmas. However upon opening it up to check it over I discovered that there's a battery case for 4 -"AA" batteries. Which can be removed and replaced with a regular Nimh battery pack. However I was extremely shocked to find that a radio of (supposedly this caliber) came with what looks like a toy battery pack that pops in and out. What’s with that??? Also the Battery goes for approx. $45.00 from Tower, which needs to be installed, but for a $350.00 Price tag, you would think they would not mentally downgraded this product by selling it with a toy battery pack. It makes me think of it as a toy radio now. I am now have second thoughts of returning it. Also the Radio feels extremely light, which makes me wonder what's inside it now. Still thinking it parallels with a toy radio. I am even more confused as to it's quality and how long it will last.

Why do they do that and also why don't they ship the radio with a Nimh pack already installed. Also NO Flight Battery or any Servos in the box as well....This seems so basic to me that I never even inspected for this to be set up this way when I was reviewing it for purchase. Very odd I thought and very disheartened. Shame on Futaba for this set up....

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000258098&I=LXDWZD&P=K

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCVRB&P=V

Thanks
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_161650.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2249637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_161703.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2249638  

Last edited by Electriceddie; 01-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Almost all radios from most all manufacturers no longer come with servos and RX packs. That lets the end user decided on what works for them best. Most do come with a receiver. With your radio you can use any 5-cell NiMH or equivalent sized LiFe pack that will fit. I would charge a LiFe pack separately and not use the charger that comes with the radio.

Hope that helps
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Cool

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC View Post
Almost all radios from most all manufacturers no longer come with servos and RX packs. That lets the end user decided on what works for them best. Most do come with a receiver. With your radio you can use any 5-cell NiMH or equivalent sized LiFe pack that will fit. I would charge a LiFe pack separately and not use the charger that comes with the radio.

Hope that helps
Hello Futaba,

I have not bought a new radio in at least 8-10 years. I have been flying steadily since I was 12 yrs. old I am now 56 yrs. old. So almost 45 years I have been in this hobby. Started with MRC, then World Engines Radio's for Q-500, but after that it's been Futaba all the way. I have purchased over 6-8 radio's over the years from Attack-4's to Skysport -6, AT6XA to my most favorite radio the "9 CAP - Super". Which I have owned and used for about the last 8-10 years now. It's been so long I am not sure. But when I started to notice that I was the only guy at the flying field requesting a Frequency Pin , I figured it was maybe a time for an upgrade to one of these new FASST Systems. So here I begin...

But this info. about NO Battery for the receiver , NO Servo's Not even some S-148's or S-3003's was a big surprise, but the biggest "HOLY CRAP" Moment ( I cleaned it up for this post) was when I opened tha back up to see a classic Toy Battery holder sloshing around in the Trans Battery compartment.

I had not discovered this info. while researching the radios that are out there. Also I am not familiar with LiFE Batteries. I use NiMah for regular Alcohol / Gas / Fuel and Lipo's for electric's which I just started to get into., but I am not happy with Lipo's since the Lipo's seem to be SOOOO Darn Finicky. Not at all treatable like NiMah's. So I guess there's a bit of a New learning curve for me.

The Feel of the Futaba 10JA 10-Channel Air T-FHSS System Transmitter feels good in the hands and the Menu system look's easy enough, somewhat similar to the 9-CAP -Super but time will tell about it's quality and reliability. This is the first time ever I have seen a radio sold this way, NO Servo's, Flight Pack or with a TOY Like Battery pack in the Transmitter and I have seen a lot. I think Futaba could have at least sold it with a decent Battery in the Transmitter. I buy the argument that people like to buy the type of servo's they want and the size of the flight pack can vary in size depending on the model. BUT NO TRANS Battery??? That's cutting it close to being really CHEAP and Chincing out ...

Still a big Futaba Fan.....

Thanks
Electriceddie

Last edited by Electriceddie; 01-13-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 AM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The no servos thing started just after you bought your last radio. I know of almost none that come with servos no.

You can easily use a 5-cell NiMH in the 10J transmitter. They sell the TX as they do in order to hold down costs. I have a couple of TXs that use a similar set up. I use ENELOOP brand NiMH in them. The ENELOOP cells have the same low self discharge as LiFe/Lipo and hold a charge between uses. Otherwise you treat like a normal NiMH pack.

An 1,800 to 2,100 mAh NiMH pack should fit fine. No need to go LiFe, which is not the same as a lipo BTW. LiFe are 6.6 nominal cells and have essentially zero self discharge.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...mh+transmitter

As an example, or any other equivalent physical size and cell count will be fine.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's really strange what bothers some folks and not others. I too would be extremely disappointed if I bought a new radio and it did not come with at least a NiCad battery in it and preferably a NiMH or LiPo. The battery tray thing just screams :"TOY" to me. But coming without servos doesn't bother me. Go Figure.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:16 PM
FUTABA-RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FWIW, the 10J page does make mention of the battery:

(See COMMENTS for optional battery and charger choices)
REQUIREMENTS4 "AA" Alkaline batteries
Servos of your choice
COMMENTSTo use the NiMH battery FUTM1482, you will need to purchase the
Futaba HBC-3B(4) charger, FUTM1832.
If you already have a charger and need a charge lead, contact
Hobby Services and order part number HSP29615.
(requires soldering on the correct charger plugs)
You may also use a 2C 6.6V LiFe battery such as HCAM6521
Plus a quick look at the manual would have been a tip off as well.