RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Modifying Spektrum 2.4GHz Surface Transmitter

Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Yaseen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Modifying Spektrum 2.4GHz Surface Transmitter

Hi everyone,

First of all, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. This is about a transmitter for an RC boat (specifically for the ProBoat Blackjack Catamaran RTR, id# PRB08007 on HorizonHobby).

I'd like to modify the boat's controller to transmit signals at the command of a microcontroller (like an Arduino).

Has anyone on this forum has ever attempted a similar project, or would know where to start?

The goal is to connect the microcontroller to the remote's transmitter and program the microcontroller to transmit the signals that are normally controlled by the remote's channels.

Would anyone know where to start modifying the transmitter's electronics, or know if it's even possible to control the transmitter from a different microcontroller? I appreciate any insight I could get on this project.

The controller is a Spektrum "2.4GHz Surface Transmitter, 2-Channel V3" (id# ECX13002 on HorizonHobby).

Thank you for reading!
- Yaseen
Old 02-23-2018, 06:14 AM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best you can do is to generate analog inputs. On that radio the micro that has the ADCs (Analog to Digital Converters) is also the micro that runs the RF. It's not like there is a separate module to interface with. When it comes to choice of hacking platform, that radio is probably the worst you could have picked. The DX5C is much more hackable, but I'm not going to be telling you how to do the hacking.

If your Arduino has a DAC then you might be able to have it generate an analog voltage that your transmitter's micro can use.

Good luck!

Andy