RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba S148 servos reliability

Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 AM
cvint

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba S148 servos reliability

Are the newly produced S148 servos as reliable as the old ones. I have an S148 over 20 years old without problems.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well they don't use lead solder anymore in production so that would be one possible weak point.
Will they still operate in 20 years? Who knows. Besides the solder, plastic gets brittle with age, wiring can get brittle, etc, etc...
I would never put faith in any servo that had been lying around or in service for 20 years, especially in a plane that I cared about.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Futaba 148 servos, even the older ones, are some of the most reliable servos ever made. But don't be fooled by the cheap look alike clones on ebay, they are not made by Futaba.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used many 148's over the years. Very reliable for what they cost. As for Futaba making their own servos, I don't believe that Futaba actually produces any of their low cost servos these days. Just more cost effective to have them produced by someone else.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:50 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These are an example of the cheap fake Futaba clones on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Torque-...8AAOSwdIFXxjDN
Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 AM
cvint

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 PM
bladeskiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only problem about these servos, is that many of them start making weird things after a while, like oscillations or slow and jerky movement. Most of people believe that the servo is fried ,when notice something like this. But , in these servos (S148, 3001, 3003) the cause of the problem is not the internal electronics, in most cases. The weak point of these servos is the connector, that, as it seems, is not crimped properly. The result is increased resistance. Increased resistance, especially through the negative wire, affects the servo pulse potential, in relation to the negative wire, that is the reference point of the internal electronics, causing weird things to take place. Use some conduct cleaner or, even better, change the connector and, in most cases, the problem will disappear.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had very good luck with Futaba servos, particularly the S148. I have some that are probably 20 years old. Most of my servo failures were other brands, particularly high torque servos. And most of my servo failures occurred after just a few flights on the servo. Having said all this, I do not have much experience with recently manufactured S148s. I probably have a few that I purchased within the last 3 years. None have failed.