Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

One handed flight?

Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 AM
dji-mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One handed flight?

Hi there, I have had the privilege of living for 17+ years with the use of one hand. I now hold the controller pointing rightward and my left pointer or middle finger is for the right sock and my thumb is for the left stick. I am getting into drone/plane flight (video shooting). I am wondering if anyone knows how to make or knows where to buy... a 8+ch one handed remote control? Also any suggestions on weather I should go fpv? My depth perception is screwed up, so I thought fpv might help?

I use spectrum stuff
I fly a dpi and a custom built quad copter.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I see that Spectrum DX8 has a single stick controller that will allow you to control all three control surfaces, rudder, elevator and ailerons with a single stick. The throttle is on a slider switch separate from the control surfaces stick. That radio may be easier for you to use.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:28 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DjiMark... I am no expert on this.. but years ago someone posted about a setup they called WOBBLE STICKING.. They would mount a stick across the tops of both sticks. I believe they used ball joints to make it very secure and with no slop at the connections. The advantage for a one handed flier was you could sort of twist the cross piece to control elevator, and throttle together... yet (kind of) seperately.. while leaning both sticks left or right would make both ground handling, and rudder aileron mixing possible.

It obviously also makes some bad control mixing in some situations.. like crosswind take offs and landings, and trying to do precise rolls and flat turns.. However. If a person was wanting to fly badly, and maybe more scale type flying than 3D type flying.. Its an option. I must admit there is a certain thrill to the idea of learning this technique.. as it would be very challenging to learn/relearn?

Have fun with whatever you choose to do !
Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

There used to be (in the 80's) a single stick versions of some radios. Kraft was one of them.

I saw a thread here, where a gentlemen had one of those "oldies classics" modified for modern "jumping" frequencies (the original was the old 72 Hz freq. If you do a search for KRAFT "modern upgrade" you might get a hit.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Fabweb

Hello,
can be an idea here : http s://www.france-helico.com/topic/10232-radio-h%C3%A9lico-pour-handicap%C3%A9/

Fabrice
Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 AM
controlthenight

Err I just wrote a long reply explaining my similar experience then I accidentally closed out of it. Here are some links that I saved while researching the same subject in the past. I am not sure if they are all still valid or if they are relevant. Hopefully, you can find something helpful in one of these. I ended up just going with a tray and a neck strap. With a lot of practice, I can fly a fixed wing decent with my thumb and pointer finger. Best of luck, message me if you want to discuss further.
-Matt
Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 AM
controlthenight

OK, nevermind. I am not allowed to post links till I have more than 10 posts. Message me privately and I can give you my FB or something.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vasek
There used to be (in the 80's) a single stick versions of some radios. Kraft was one of them.

I saw a thread here, where a gentlemen had one of those "oldies classics" modified for modern "jumping" frequencies (the original was the old 72 Hz freq. If you do a search for KRAFT "modern upgrade" you might get a hit.
The red ACE RC transmitter in my picture has the rudder , elevator , and ailerons all on the single stick which would make it a perfect candidate for a modern 2.4 ghz update .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Old RC 1.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	674.0 KB
ID:	2258639