Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

volcano 1/10 losing power, then dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:01 AM
aaron_martin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano 1/10 losing power, then dies

I'm a newbie to RC. Trying to get figure out the issue with my son's redcat volcano 1/10 brushed engine truck. It starts fine, runs hard, then in about 30 sec-1 min, starts to lose power, then dies. The right light then stays flashing on the ESC. Please advise. Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What ESC is it?
What batteries are you using?

If you are using NiMh battery, look on ESC to make sure the "jumper" is in the correct NiMh position. If you try and use a NiMh battery, and the ESC is set for LiPo battery, then the power sag from the NiMh battery will trip the Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC). The LVC setting is used to protect LiPo batteries from being over discharged.

I am pretty sure the red LED flashing is the LVC being tripped.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 AM
aaron_martin

i think its wp-104 brushed/waterproof

Always been using nimh batteries. havent changed anything, but is losing power and cutting out.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Possible time for a new motor? The brushes inside do wear out over time and will not make good contact on the commutator. Closed endbell motors like the one in your monster truck can't be worked on.

If red light is flashing, possible meaning = LVC or OHP

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-30-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM
aaron_martin

Appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Makita designs

Originally Posted by aaron_martin
I'm a newbie to RC. Trying to get figure out the issue with my son's redcat volcano 1/10 brushed engine truck. It starts fine, runs hard, then in about 30 sec-1 min, starts to lose power, then dies. The right light then stays flashing on the ESC. Please advise. Thanks in advance!!
the Redcat volcano ESC is not a very good ESC but don't even worry about that problem right there what you need to do is go to eBay and type in goolrc ESC and brushless motor and when you type that in and you need to look for the 430 KV brushless motor keep looking until you find that for about 27 to $32 you might even find one that comes with a Programming Card order that is C and brushless motor when it comes to your house open up the box and throw the programming card in the trash because you don't need it and it's a lot of problems if you put that ESC and motor in your Redcat volcano you will have no problems at all the only problem that you will have is that you need to change the spur gear this is not very hard there's all kinds of videos on YouTube how to change it you need to get a replacement metal spur gear which will cost you from $2 to to $8 you just have to look around you can take the brass pinion gear that comes off of your brush motor and put it on the bus list motor but eventually that pinion gear will strip I recommend just looking for the metal pinion and spur gear buy them together I promise you you're Redcat volcano will do high 30 mile per hour speed run passes and your son will enjoy it he can turn the speed down at first you will not have any problems oh you will also have to buy a lipo battery I recommend a 3s no less than a 20 C battery and it can be whatever milliamp milliamp means how long the battery will run not how fast the car goes does C20 C30 C40 C60 C says how fast the car goes and obviously Torres is not as fast as a 3s I hope this is been helpful you have a great car Redcat volcano is a great car because the part of fordable and the car is 30 a lot of people on this form will try to tell you that Traxxas is a better car a Traxxas is a heavier car and more expensive part car and very popular but it's not as good as a Redcat volcano 1/10 scale car have a great day