RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old Radio

Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 AM
wrp1958
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Radio

Due to life as we know, I have a Futaba radio, a conquest that I planned on leaning to fly RC on. I can build but have never done RC. i'm pretty sure the batteries are bad and I have no Idea about the servos. I can now start a trainer build. Should I even to get batteries and use that stuff or just not.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are way to many options for going to a new 2.4GHz radio with all sorts of price ranges. Some clubs will not allow you to use 72 MHz radios anymore, is there a club in the area where you are located? If so, most of those guys are quite willing to help you out and I would also recommend scanning the ads for a good used flight simulator. It'll save you a ton of money while you are learning to fly RC.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Futaba Conquest was a good, simple, mainline radio in its day but that day is almost 20 years ago now. Depending on when it was bought it might not be narrow banded which would make it illegal to use. For any number of reasons including age you would probably be better off putting your money into a new 2.4 GHz radio. I'd pick a brand that is popular in your area and there are many good choices in multiple price ranges.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:54 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Futaba Attack 4 ch. that still works perfectly fine. it was given to me a few years ago when i decided to get back into rc flying, after not flying for some 45 years. it obviously needed batteries. I didn't think it was a waste of money to buy them for that radio one bit. a lot of older guys are still flying on 72Hz. radios. I also have a 2.4 GHz 6ex. that I bought just a few weeks before being given the Attack radio. had I been given the attack before buying the ^ex, I really don't think I would have bought the 6ex, although it's nice to have two radios . I grew up watching my best buddy's dad fly for way too many years on the old stuff to think there is some great advantage to having a new modern radio. yes they are nice with all their programmability, but for the basic enjoyment of flying, you really are at no disadvantage with the older radio, as long as it works right and has narrow band. make that it has been converted to narrow band and if not,.... then it would wise to buy a newer 2.4GHz radio. I believe, on the back of the radio, there should be a gold colored R/CMA-AMA "RF check" sticker on it, with the date stamped into the sticker, if it has been converted, or sold as a narrow band radio.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by r ward View Post
I have a Futaba Attack 4 ch. that still works perfectly fine. it was given to me a few years ago when i decided to get back into rc flying, after not flying for some 45 years. it obviously needed batteries. I didn't think it was a waste of money to buy them for that radio one bit. a lot of older guys are still flying on 72Hz. radios. I also have a 2.4 GHz 6ex. that I bought just a few weeks before being given the Attack radio. had I been given the attack before buying the ^ex, I really don't think I would have bought the 6ex, although it's nice to have two radios . I grew up watching my best buddy's dad fly for way too many years on the old stuff to think there is some great advantage to having a new modern radio. yes they are nice with all their programmability, but for the basic enjoyment of flying, you really are at no disadvantage with the older radio, as long as it works right and has narrow band. make that it has been converted to narrow band and if not,.... then it would wise to buy a newer 2.4GHz radio. I believe, on the back of the radio, there should be a gold colored R/CMA-AMA "RF check" sticker on it, with the date stamped into the sticker, if it has been converted, or sold as a narrow band radio.
I agree completely with what you say above but while many old radios continue to work well, many others do not and will require repair, service or batteries before they can be used. Its just a matter of whether one wants to take the chance on the old radio when a new airframe is involved. I have probably a dozen older radios sitting on my shelves and all have been treated well and stored in good conditions. Some would probably work just fine where I know others have issues with things like sticking switches, intermittent pots, etc. All would need new batteries.

When recommending something online and not knowing the experience level on the other end of the conversation, for me its often times more prudent to just suggest new rather than trusting the unknown of an older piece of equipment.

Last edited by Truckracer; 04-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:39 AM
wrp1958
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input guys. I an still on the fence here. Any other thoughts?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember being taught to make sure the throttle stick is at idle first thing, then turn on the RX and watch for rogue signals , then turn on the Tx, cycle the throttle to check it is working properly.....set the throttle at about 1/4 open,....then start the engine. you really cannot ensure there will never be any strange actions when turning on your radio equipment, so all you can do is develop a routine that satisfies your level of safety and stick to it so it becomes conscious routine. the sequence doesn't matter as long as there are no real glaring weak spots in it and you feel safe about using it. where you fly can also influence your sequence. I remember there were spots where my buddies dad flew frequently where he knew there might be some interference once in a while and that changed what he did when getting ready for a flight,....if the servos did something weird on a particular day, he wouldn't fly there.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Stikum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The cost of a new radio pales in comparison to the time and money spent building an airplane. 2.4 is so much more reliable than FM or even PCM that I would not risk a plane on a 72mhz radio. I started when radios were on AM, and shared the band with CB radios - some idiot with a linear amp could shoot you down without any way to avoid it. When 2.4 came out, I had two PCM Txs and two dozen PCM rxs - and I sold or gave away all of them, replaced with 2.4 FASST. Never had another glitch - had a few mechanical failures, some dumb-thumbs, but the radios never quit or even paused.....
Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i agree, radios have come down in price so drastically compared to the old stuff back then when they were new. I also agree that 2.4 is so very much better, but still,.... if you don't have one and you do have an FM radio. you're not at so much of a disadvantage that it doesn't pay to use it. I think a lot of peoples' opinions are formed by where they fly frequently. I always flew in the country, in the middle of nowhere. to see another guy flying anywhere near,....was a real rare occasion. i now live in the country with miles of open field to fly in all over. am just getting back into flying and I now have 2.4 equipment, too,...but because you can't buy anything else that I know of. ( which is just fine with me) I still use my fm radio (Futaba Attack4) in a coroplast trainer, if it goes down, it's probably more my fault than any kind of interference's fault !. and if it does go down, big deal,...i'm not out much.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I personally recommend that you buy the 2.4 GHz radio. 72 MHz has become so uncommon at most fields that people will not know what the "string" coming out of your airplane is. You will be constantly questioned, looked at skeptically and criticized for being out-of-date, poor, low-tech, putting others at risk, etc. I used to argue that 72 is not less reliable, in fact, in my experience it is more reliable than 2.4 GHz and that the advantage in path loss of 72 MHz over 2.4 GHz is enormous. People just looked at me like I'm crazy. I gave up and went to the dark side (2.4).
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
People just looked at me like I'm crazy. I gave up and went to the dark side (2.4).
I hate being harassed about "why does your transmitter have a fishing pole on it?"..... lol
Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi wrp1958 am possibly a little late to chime in but here are some facts about the Conquest series of early inexpensive futaba units.

First the Conquests go back much further than just the 20 years that was mentioned by one of he responders. Conquests were produced in three versions over time for the US economy market which included AM, FM and PCM (Yes there actually was a 512 PCM Conquest version and I still have one). Which version you have is displayed right on the front face prominently.
If yours is a AM version then most of these were wideband and became illegal to use in 1991 (in the US) unless certain mods were done only by an authorized repair station and tagged with that little gold sticker you may hear folks talking about.

Now all the FM as well as the PCM versions were in fact narrow band when new and never were subject to the 1991 FCC narrowbanding requirement. In other words completely legal to use.

Now as far as clubs outlawing older band equipment. Possibly a few but I doubt all that many, what has changed in the clubs is many have abandoned the frequency board and if you use the older bands the responsibility is on you to make sure no one else using that band is on your frequency. The change to 2.4 has been almost universal so using another band is simple to avoid conflict.

By the way the six channels on the 27Htz band (ground and air models), the fifty channels on the 72Htz (Air only models) and I forgot the number of channels on the 75Htz (Surface only models) are in the US still completely legal in regard to FCC.

After having typed all that above I absolutely agree with all the posters above who suggested buying new modern equipment especially if you are just learning. As I tell all my students please don,t screw around with old equipment The advantages to you the newbie are huge.

John