Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex evo 12 or Jr 10x

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:44 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex evo 12 or Jr 10x

I need a second tx, and id own a 10x which I love, but here is the big but. I would love to get more channels so I can mix more servos. Do you know anything about the evo? I also like the ability to change frequency at will....
Old 09-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex evo 12 or Jr 10x

I'm waiting to see the manual of the new Graupner MX-22....
Old 09-25-2003, 03:56 PM
3wExtra

where did you hear about this..... I would love to know more about it
Old 09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
EU1a
My Feedback: (1)

I downloaded the EVO 12 manual and spoke to the Hitec & Multiplex Marketing Director. What an awesome system. It's as flexible as the Profi 4000. A lot easier to program. The Frequency Synth. And the icing on the cake, the price. I've never cheeped out with my R/C, but it's nice to get a break once in a while.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:21 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY, VERY, VERY SORE SUBJECT WITH ME!!!!!!! I have been waiting for the EVO since it's release date--- AUGUST 2002!!!!! Love the radio-- hate the way I have been jerked around with promises every other month. Bought an 8103 instead.

Will probably still buy the EVO when it gets here.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:25 PM
EU1a

Unfortunately, something so simple as a supply chain, could be the downfall of this product line. I hope that since Hitec has bought Multiplex, they will rectify this situation. Hope they're listening.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:35 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Owning a 4000 and using an Evo lets me say that the Evo is not quite as flexible as a 4000 and is no way in the same league as programmable as a 4000. The Evo scores by being that bit more modern so can have a synthesiser and internet download of software upgrades, so you only need one Evo and they don't try and flog you a 10S, 10X, 10XS , 10SX and so on!

It is however a good radio and I know of some heli fliers who are changing from JR10 to Evo9 as they consider it to be better.

H
Old 09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
3wExtra

still do not know what to do. the MX-22 will not be available in the USA. and although I love the jr, would the Evo12 be a btter radio? easier to program? I do not want to jum into the wrong pool. I have to say that I do like the synt. option but do not like the multiplex servos. please is there someone out there that has experience with both of them?
thank you
Old 09-29-2003, 11:08 AM
HarryC

The Evo is much easier and much more flexible to program. Everything on the menus is in plain english. You navigate around and select items and alter values using either or both of the turn and click wheels or the buttons. It's very fast. To assign functions etc to switches you just call up that function and then wiggle the switch, stick, slider or button that you want it to use and that assigns it. Multi servo environments such as 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos don't even need mixing, just choose whatever channels you want, not the ones forced on you by the manufacturer, and assign them direct to aileron or to elevator. It's as easy to have 2 or 4 or 12 elevator channels as it is to have one elevator channel. No stick switch slider or button is predetermined by the manufacturer, you choose what it does. Switches can be both function e.g. retract and secondary e.g. rates/mixer at the same time.

If you don't like Mpx servos don't buy them! Get just the Tx alone or with the Mpx IPD failsafe PPM Rx.

H
Old 09-29-2003, 11:13 AM
3wExtra

Harry, you got me almost sold... what about customer support. is it as good as horizon?
thank you
Astolfo
Old 09-29-2003, 03:57 PM
HarryC

I don't live in the USA so I have no experience of the US support. However the distribution and support for Mpx in N America has been taken over by HitecUSA, and I gather from what I have read on other threads that HitecUSA has a powerful reputation for customer service. Mike Mayberry will answer questions about supply and service in the Hitec manufacturer forum.

There may be some functionality at the extremes, that the JRPCM10 can do that the Evo can not do. As a rough guide I would place the Evo somewhere between the Futaba9c and Futaba9Z in terms of outright programmability. If you tell me what sort of extremes of functionality you use I can tell you if the Evo will do it.

If you visit www.multiplexrc.com/tx_royal_evo.htm you can download the Evo manual in pdf and read it to see what you would be getting and compare it to what the JR will do. A word of caution - Mpx undersell their Tx in their user manuals, they give the bare bones of how to operate a feature but don't give many examples of just how powerfully they can be made to work to do all sort of things which at first glance it would seem the Tx can't do. Their Tx require you to do some thinking and imagining. You will need to unlearn your way of programming a Japanese Tx and learn the Mpx way, e.g. Mpx mixing is totally different to the Japanese method, there is no such thing as master and slave. In fact all 5 inputs can be from the same control, so you could switch between 5 different elevator control curves to the ele servo without even switching flight mode. So although the Tx officially only has dual rates, strictly speaking it does not have triple rates, it can actually have 10 rates (5 mixer curves each modified by the official dual rate) though you use up all the mixing ability. What you can do is have 2 rates via mixer input, 2 rates via rate switch, so quadruple rates leaving 3 other controls such as aileron and flap and throttle to be mixed in to the ele servos. See what I mean about being free to use your imagination to program it?!

Instead of giving you a load of pre-made functions buts that's it and tough if your model doesn't conform, Mpx give you a blank spreadsheet and let you write your own functions to suit the plane or heli. That's why the heli fliers are telling me they are changing their PCM10 for the Evo9, apparently it copes with any head geometry that you can program and not just the ones that the designer in Japan decided to give you. Mpx do require a bit more work from the user than a Japanese Tx but are much more flexible.

H
Old 09-29-2003, 06:58 PM
ChuckA

I have been struggling with the Evo manual for a couple of weeks now and agree that the Multiplex provides a bare bones manuel. It would be much easier if there were a few examples of common models. I find the Evo very easy to program once I decode the manual. I fly sailplanes and a simple four servo wing setup would have shortened the learning process. Once I understand the setup, I can usually make necessary changes without refering to the manual, something I could never do except for the most simple changes with my Futaba or Hitec transmitters. A good nomenclature would also go a long way towards making things easier.