RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aurora 9 burnout

Old 04-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Looper
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aurora 9 burnout

After converting my Aurora 9 to Li Po I made a dumb move and plugged in the bat. the wrong way toasting the transmitter.... DUH! I e- mailed Hitec and they suggested that i return the tranny to them. Should I spend money on fixing the 9 or just buy a new set? If anyone has experienced the same dilemma I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks, Looper
Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Looper View Post
After converting my Aurora 9 to Li Po I made a dumb move and plugged in the bat. the wrong way toasting the transmitter.... DUH! I e- mailed Hitec and they suggested that i return the tranny to them. Should I spend money on fixing the 9 or just buy a new set? If anyone has experienced the same dilemma I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks, Looper
Send it in. Most transmitters have a fuse or fused diode in the power/charging circuit for this very reason. Rarely is there any damage beyond that.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Dick T. View Post
Send it in. Most transmitters have a fuse or fused diode in the power/charging circuit for this very reason. Rarely is there any damage beyond that.
The Aurora 9 does not have a fuse in the circuit, reversed polarity pretty much always takes out the entire main board. It's one of the reasons our newer transmitters use a Futaba "J" style plug on the battery to transmitter connection as there is only one way you can plug it in.

Repairs are generally not as expensive as buying a new transmitter.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:25 AM
Jesse Open

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The fuseis not the only protection option. In fact, a fuse alone is poor protection against reverse polarity. As one other person noted, a diode is often placed across the power buss. In the event of a reverse polarity connection, the diode shunts the reversed power. This is ususally implemented with a fuse which in turn blows to disconnect fron the reverse polarity suppy. Not saying this is the case but I too would send the transmitter in. Manufacturer support seeking customer loyalty often realizes a freee or low cost repair can generate an enthusiastic supporter.