RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using/Converting a playstation controller

Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Using/Converting a playstation controller

Hi all,

I have a physical impairment that means my hands/fingers are weak. I have been finding the standard RC Control way too hard to use for a while. However, I am able to use a playstation controller with racing games, with the left analogue stick being used to steer, and the right analogue stick used to accelerate, break and reverse.

Is there any way of converting a playstation 2 controller to be used with an rc car?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:39 AM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:24 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not yet seen such a project , but I must ask ; You do know the force required to move the sticks on most decent RC TXs is adjustable , yes ? What would prevent you from adjusting the stick force to the absolute minimum and then even shortening the sticks if need be , to create an RC TX with a feel more like the PS controller your trying to convert ?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I have not yet seen such a project , but I must ask ; You do know the force required to move the sticks on most decent RC TXs is adjustable , yes ? What would prevent you from adjusting the stick force to the absolute minimum and then even shortening the sticks if need be , to create an RC TX with a feel more like the PS controller your trying to convert ?
That's interesting! I've only used the trigger type controller with my traxxas. I have only ever tried one typical controller and found the sticks to be very hard to move. Are there any you would recommend that are good at adjusting to a light touch? It's for a traxxas rustler, and hopefully not super expensive
Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Fabweb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,
There is also Multiplex radio, can be easier to handle for you
Tx SMART SX M-LINK

Fabrice
Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smart SX has a very similar feel to a playstation controller and as such, the precision of the movements will not be high. But turn the rates down low and use exponential and you will be fine. The nice thing about Smart SX is you can purchase receivers already programmed for specific Multiplex airplanes, or buy one and program it yourself.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 AM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brilliant, thanks guys. Will the SX work with a traxxas rustler?
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by turning the rates down low and using exponential mean
Old 05-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by scoped View Post
Brilliant, thanks guys. Will the SX work with a traxxas rustler?
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by turning the rates down low and using exponential mean
Air transmitters cannot be used for surface applications. You need a dedicated surface transmitter for that.

I might suggest doing more reading on model aircraft and stopping by a local club to learn more. Rates and Expo are 2 things that every modeler needs to know as they do with how you control the airplane- rates meaning how much control throw there is and expo meaning how linear that control throw is applied to the surface by the transmitter.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:20 PM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Air transmitters cannot be used for surface applications. You need a dedicated surface transmitter for that.

I might suggest doing more reading on model aircraft and stopping by a local club to learn more. Rates and Expo are 2 things that every modeler needs to know as they do with how you control the airplane- rates meaning how much control throw there is and expo meaning how linear that control throw is applied to the surface by the transmitter.
I don't have any airplanes, at the moment at least. The only RC I've got is the traxxas
Old 05-31-2018, 03:20 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is not always true.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:51 PM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by grotto2 View Post
This is not always true.

Hi Gents , I'm now curious here , hasn't the 2.4 GHZ system done away with the old "air" or "surface" designations ?

I was under the assumption that in the "old" system it was 72 MHZ for air and 75 MHZ for surface but that with the advent of the 2.4 GHZ GUID based systems that went away ?

So thus begets the question ; do the air and surface 2.4 GHZ systems use the exact same type of 2.4 GHZ signals or is there some difference between the two ?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AFAIK, there's no legal problem using a 2.4 air radio in a ground vehicle or vice-versa. Manufacturers could change protocols for the different types in order to sell you a different radio, though.
And 27MHz is still legal and may be used in air or ground vehicles. Ditto for 6 meters if you're a ham.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:23 AM
scoped

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haha ok, I've opened a can of worms :P

I've been looking up some rc transmitters and seen these:
Traxxas Aton.
Turnigy

Would either of these work with my rustler? Or are there any I should be looking at in particular other than these?
I assume I will need to buy some sort of receiver too?

It has been so long since i've done rc stuff !
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Traxxas products are very proprietary... meaning they only work with their own brand... and usually only with the model they're designed for. You can't just go buy a transmitter from another model and make it work... which it sounds like think you understand that by your comment about some sort of receiver.

That Traxxas Aton transmitter is only compatible with the Aton quad-copter... which those things are cool actually... but that little transmitter won't work with your Rustler.

Where you will run into trouble with Traxxas also is when/if you decide to change out that radio. You won't just have to change the receiver... You just might have to change the speed control, and battery as well.... and/or the connectors on each of those. There's nothing on the market that's compatible with any Traxxas plugs other then Traxxas. It might not be any big deal to someone with experience to do the job... and I could be wrong in what I'm telling you.. but I'm pretty sure Traxxas is tough to swap stuff out unless you got alot of experience and know what's compatible with what.... and yes... by doing what you're contemplating... It's a can of worms no doubt.

Traxxas is actually a very decent company... and they have nice products that in my experience all work just as they should if treated correctly. I own one of their quad-copters(Alias) and it flies great.... and has that small style controller... point is it's a good product... probably just as your Rustler is.

It might be cheaper to find a whole different truck and start over.. that you can put a more mainstream radio into that would give you more options.... like a 2-stick radio instead of a pistol grip... which sounds like you'd do better with any 2-stick radio... not just a gaming tranny. Just a few thoughts for you is all.

Is it the tension that's the challenge, or trying to pull the trigger... or using the wheel that's hard?... Maybe give us a better idea of exactly where the challenge is, there's some smart people that read this stuff.. and many of us just want to help. Good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently acquired a buggy that came with a 2.4 Futaba radio system. I really do not like the radios that come with cars and have been tinkering with the idea of binding the car receiver with my Futaba airplane transmitter, which is also 2.4. Will the receiver in the car (Futaba) bind with a Futaba 2.4 airplane transmitter? As far as I know, 2.4 is 2.4 whether air or surface.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

https://www.futabarc.com/receivers/f...ss-compat.html