Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Need Help Programming Dual Elevator Servos on Futaba

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Help Programming Dual Elevator Servos on Futaba

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need Help Programming Dual Elevator Servos on Futaba

I have a Sig 1/4 scale Cub with dual elevator servos. I am using a Futaba T14SG for control.
What is the best way to set up the radio to do this function?
I have tried master/slave mix functions but only one elevator moves with the trim tab. I have tried everything I can think of to correct this. I believe I might have it setup wrong from the beginning.
What is the best way to set this up? Please talk me through step by step.
Any help is appreciated.
I am using an 8 channel Futaba FASST receiver.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Steve Percifield; 05-23-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

I had that problem with my pattern plane.
You need to change the MODEL TYPE to TAIL=AILEVATOR.
See manual page 116.
Bad news: You're going to lose all your programming so far as you are basically starting over for the model.
-Ron
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Steve Percifield

Originally Posted by grotto2
I had that problem with my pattern plane.
You need to change the MODEL TYPE to TAIL=AILEVATOR.
See manual page 116.
Bad news: You're going to lose all your programming so far as you are basically starting over for the model.
-Ron
Thanks, that's what I meant...
steve
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Cashpoboy

Thanks guys.
I will give it a shot.
What slot should I use for the second elevator servo on the receiver?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Steve Percifield

Originally Posted by Cashpoboy
Thanks guys.
I will give it a shot.
What slot should I use for the second elevator servo on the receiver?
The transmitter will tell you, look at the function screen
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Cashpoboy

This was exactly correct. Worked perfect.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM
grotto2

That's great, Cashpoboy!
It's what these forums are all about!!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That's great, Cashpoboy!
It's what these forums are all about!!
Glad that you got it all sorted out as these forums are here mainly to assist those of us in need. Nice of you to check back in to say thanks as so many never bother to.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry I missed this thread a few days back. May have saved the OP some work.

It is completely unnecessary to change the elevator type to ailevator! All you have to do is designate a second channel in the function menu to elevator. All trims and other elevator functions will follow to the second channel and there is no need for further programming or reprogramming other than setting up subtrim and end points on the new channel.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Cashpoboy

That sounds good in theory.
That is what I did initially but only one servo functioned when I trimmed the elevator. It took me a while to figure out why every time I trimmed the elevator everything else would go out of trim. Only one elevator would trim and the other did not copy the master channel.
I am a diehard Futaba fan and have been so for about 30 years but sometimes the programming is just an utter mystery.
After hours of trying to figure it out (which it should be more intuitive), I just throw my hands up and move on.
The ailervator function worked perfectly and both servos trim together without a fuss.
My question is this: Why, when I set up a slave channel to another channel, would it not trim automatically?
What would be the cause of this? It is very simple to set up but it does not work like you say.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:46 AM
karolh

With my Fut 8UAF I encountered the very same problem but could not solve it like you did as I was already using the Ailevator function for Aileron Differential so ended up using a split elevator pushrod.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM
grotto2

I think Truckracer is suggesting something different here. We know that using programmable mix to make a second channel a slave of the first does not carry through the trim action.
As I read him, he's saying go into the Function Menu and assign another channel to elevator #2. For instance, select channel 8 to be Aux6, then select the controls for Aux6 to be J2 and T2. It does seem to do the same thing, but instead of being named ELE2 it is AUX6.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM
karolh

Thumbs up

I think Truckracer is suggesting something different here. We know that using programmable mix to make a second channel a slave of the first does not carry through the trim action.
As I read him, he's saying go into the Function Menu and assign another channel to elevator #2. For instance, select channel 8 to be Aux6, then select the controls for Aux6 to be J2 and T2. It does seem to do the same thing, but instead of being named ELE2 it is AUX6.
Agreed !!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM
Truckracer

Yes, no mix necessary! But, it will have to be called elevator and not Aux6. On a second channel also designated as elevator, all functions of the original elevator channel follow to the second channel. Heck, you could designate several channels for things like aileron or elevator and all functions would follow from the original channel to the other channels. Important: You have to call the additional channels the same thing as the original .... elevator in this case. Yes elevator 2 could also be used.

Last edited by Truckracer; 06-06-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Yes, no mix necessary! But, it will have to be called elevator and not Aux6. On a second channel also designated as elevator, all functions of the original elevator channel follow to the second channel. Heck, you could designate several channels for things like aileron or elevator and all functions would follow from the original channel to the other channels. Important: You have to call the additional channels the same thing as the original .... elevator in this case. Yes elevator 2 could also be used.
Thanks Truckracer
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the one point that is being either missed or skimmed over too quickly is that in the initial attempt only one elevator half responded to trim input. On my 12FG the second elevator also has to specify the same trim switch as the other elevator. I am betting that in the initial try, the OP did not realize the second elevator channel did not have a trim switch specified.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
I think the one point that is being either missed or skimmed over too quickly is that in the initial attempt only one elevator half responded to trim input. On my 12FG the second elevator also has to specify the same trim switch as the other elevator. I am betting that in the initial try, the OP did not realize the second elevator channel did not have a trim switch specified.
I won't make excuses for the OP. When going to the function menu on the 14SG, it is right there in plain sight that you have three things that can be changed for every channel. These are function of the channel (ail, elev, etc) stick / switch assignment and trim. When someone tells me that a suggestion for basic programming on this radio won't work, I just leave the thread. Let them flounder and figure it out themselves.