Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Orange Receiver Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM
douglas racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange Receiver Question

Orange DSM2 Spektrum compatible receiver with satellite. My understanding is that a flashing receiver after a flight indicates a loss of signal or brown out. I always check it after a flight and usually I have a solid light light but the other day it was flashing so I'm running a discharge cycle on my battery to check it's capacity. Zippy 1100mah 6.6v LIFE. The satellite wasn't flashing though. Does a flashing main receiver with a solid satellite indicate anything? I've heard early Orange receivers had problems but I've been using a bunch of them for 6 or 7 years and so far they have been flawless. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Flashing light on a DSM2 rx indicates a power brownout, not a signal loss. A power brownout using LiFe batteries is not a good thing as their discharge curve is almost flat until they "fall off the cliff" to basically dead for all practical purposes. Cycling them is a good idea occasionally as they'll get out of balance and do need to be replaced once the usable capacity has diminished. How are you handling the charging? Volt checkers are of no value with the LiFe chemistry.

I don't use any of those aftermarket rx's but everything I've read about them seems to indicate that the orange ones are not to be trusted. Get the yellow ones.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 PM
douglas racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking now I turned on the receiver before the transmitter because I did another four flights yesterday and the light was solid. I've been using Life's and Orange receivers for a few years now and they have worked perfect for me. I also have yellow ones too. I understand the discharge curve. I'm just wondering why the satellite doesn't flash.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas racer
I'm just wondering why the satellite doesn't flash.
Can't say, my Spektrum and JR satellites flash with the main unit.