RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Nitro boat wiring

Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM
gabyhayes

Default Nitro boat wiring

I am putting a nitro engine in a boat, so I will be using 2 servos. 1 for the throttle and 1 for the rudder. question is if I'm just using servos what size battery about would work and also do I need a BEC. so far on my parts list i have the tx,rx,A battery, 2 servos. and nothing else. if I wire all those together would they be correct or do I need the bec to lower the voltage for the servos.
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's zero need for a BEC, just use a 4 or 5 cell NiMH receiver battery. It helps to know all of the equipment in particular you are trying to use because that can better help us guide you to what equipment you would need.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM
tntpooof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what is a .A battery?
if its a 2 cell lipo then yes a ubec or bec will be necessary.
if you use a life or A123 cells then no.. but id use a bec anyway for protection.. 5.5v is always safe with most servos even HV servos.. what does your rx take as in voltages?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For many years, RC equipment ran on 4.8v batteries. The capacity of the battery is what you're after. It will depend on the size and workload of the servos. Since battery technology has evolved so much, I would be looking to the largest capacity battery that I can stuff in the allowed space. That should allow me to run the equipment for the longest time possible. The very minimum I would use with my aircraft (no boat) experience is about 1000mah.

On the other hand, you can look at the specs of the receiver and servos selected. Some are capable of handling higher voltages.and people have successfully used LiFe and LiPo batteries to power the radio system. I currently have LiFe batteries on a giant scale airplane and a couple of helicopters (5 servos in all). I seldom worry about battery charge during a day at the field.

I will assume that you are somewhat versed in electric power for your RC vehicles. and thus may have a collection of batteries laying around. Instead of a BEC, I would recommend a voltage regulator. Those are designed to convert X voltage to a voltage that your radio equipment will be able to handle.

If you are already buying everything to set the boat up, I would recommend going with minimum equipment necessary and utilizing a properly sized battery and forgetting about the Regulator or BEC.

Rafael
Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM
pdxscotty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What ever batteries you use, make sure they are fully charged. Loosing control of nitro models because of battery failure is crucial. Batteries loose voltage and then servo stays in that direction.
If using full throttle at the time of battery failure, surly will end in a crash. It only happens once and you will make sure batteries are fully charged.