Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hall effect controlled servo

Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 AM
nitro joe
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hall effect controlled servo

Hello,

I would like to control a standard analog servo incorporating a Hall effect sensor to pick up the rpm's of an engine.
I'd like the servo to begin moving off center at about 3000 rpm,and complete it's stroke at about 7500. A reasonably steady,linear movement following the engine rpm is what I'm after.
There would be no radio or receiver used with this project.

Maybe there is a basic plug and play control board already on the market?
I've done some internet searching for circuits,nothing much yet without getting into Arduino programming stuff.
I'm wondering if a servo tester could have its positioning pot changed/removed/or tied into an IC (maybe a F to V?) plus a few discrete components added to an off the shelf servo tester?
If anybody has some thoughts,ideas,or a schematic please chime in.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 AM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be interesting, Joe.

I'm looking forward to the replies.

Cheers
Max
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You could start with a heli governor to control the throttle servo (and lock speed in) and use a servo tester to generate the signal for the desired RPM command to the governor.

Andy
Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 AM
nitro joe

Thanks for the replies.
I will look into how a heli governor works.
I probably should have mentioned that the servo control I seek will not be coupled to the engine throttle,or used for engine rpm management.

Joe
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM
nitro joe

I've done a little checking up on Andy's heli governor suggestion.
I think if a guy needed an electronic version of a mechanical throttle governor,as would be found on a gas powered lawn implement,that would work.

In my case,I only want the servo to "follow" the engine rpm,"not" have any control over it.

The PWM part of the circuit for positioning control is already done in any hobby store servo tester.

I'm hoping to hear from an electronics enthusiast that can suggest,maybe scribble up a schematic,
possibly using an IC, something like an LM2917N-8/NOPB (Mouser) to take the frequency of a hall-effect rpm input into a genaric servo tester circuit.

If you folk's could suggest another area of RCU,or even another board entirely,please respond here,or in a PM if that is not allowed.

Thanks,
Joe in the Chicago burbs,