RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need to start from new. After 15 years AWOL

Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need to start from new. After 15 years AWOL

My old radios. FM transmitters, old, need new batteries. Want to start fresh. Former old-school Futaba user.

Budget : $600 range

Want something that will suit my needs as I possibly expand into bigger more complex models.

priorities:
1) reliability/durability
2) customer support
3) buddy box (a brand that provides a cheap buddy box to teach my step-son, the extra Transmitter will just be used until he learns)
4) expandability into EDFs as that really interests me once I get some of my skills back on my GP Easy Sport 40

I'm lacking in all the new terminology. Haven't found an article yet to teach me what I missed in the last 15 years.

What is FAAST? And other Futaba terminology?
what is BNF (bind and fly) and how does that differ from other brand technology?

feel free to type away and teach me a short lesson!
Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it's hard to say what's going to happen with Futaba as they reopen as a company facility in Huntsville, AL. Tower Hobbies/Hobbico used to the the importer/distributor/service agent for Futaba but they went bankrupt and were bought by Horizon Hobby.

While the support from Tower was really pretty good, if you had to deal with Hobby Services which serviced everything Tower sold, well that's where things went downhill.

Things in the industry have changed a bunch since you left and Horizon is now one of the biggest players in the hobby world. They have a reputation for being one of the best companies around for CS even extending warranty service occasionally for folks who have issues with primarily the radio equipment which is Spektrum. That radio line has grown to be one of the biggest around, especially in the USA. They also have a far larger assortment of transmitters and receivers than Futaba. Spektrum stuff is warrantied for 3 years while Futaba is 1 year.

So that's kind of the radio thing and is really the only thing you need to consider as Horizon owns Tower now so everything they sell is basically available at both companies. They have a large selection of RTF and BNF models now, take a look at the website for some examples. At this point, Horizon is not selling Futaba radios but some of us expect that it's only a matter of time before Horizon becomes a Futaba vendor.

You will no doubt hear from others about how crummy Spektrum is and point to the forum posts, but when you're the largest player out there, there are bound to be more people using the radios. Others will point you at stuff like FrSky, Taranis and what all the others are I do not know. They are less money but other than the forums, there is very little support. There are "open TX" stuff where you basically have to learn to write computer code to get them to do all the things their proponents mention. Then there is Jeti and people either love them or hate them. These may be options for you after you get your feet wet again and have a better idea of how you want to proceed.

I fly the older JR radios with the Spektrum RF deck, Spektrum radios and Futaba radios which are all pretty much top of the line so I don't qualify as a "Fanboy" for either one, however i don't own any of those other radios nor would I care to do so..

Hope that helps, you'll most likely get lots of other responses, some reasonable and well thought out, others bordering on versions of "Trump derangement syndrome"..... lol

Good luck!

OH! One last thing; this radio forum isn't anything like it used to be either. You'll get a lot more input at the radio forum of RCGroups.com.

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-18-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:00 PM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everything has been turned upside down in the last year or so. Tower/ Hobbico going bankrupt sold to Horizon, JR radios disappearing, lots of interesting new brand radios that have only been around the last few years. With new radios, receivers have to match brands. There are some cheap generics, but its all computer based. Transmits a computer code and receiver has to decode. No mixing TX and RX brands. With your budget I would be probably buying the 10 or 12 channel FHSS Futaba radios. Good middle ground radio. FASST radios are great; receivers can be expensive. Good receiver batteries is a big deal with new radios. They do not tolerate low voltage like old FM. It makes the receiver reboot which is not what you want in the air.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:21 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depending on your budget and number of channels needed there are enough radios out there you will probably get a headache trying to figure which one. If you like Futaba then by all means stick to them.

Many years ago I had the same problem with two identical transmitters (Futaba) and switched to Hitec (FM at the time and Hitec worked with Futaba receivers). I ended up really liking the Hitec stuff and found the prices were more than reasonable. I now own Two Aurora 9 transmitters, one for electrics and gliders and one for combustion powered. I buddy box between them easily. Dependability is in my opinion outstanding and service has always been top of the line with excellent turn around even from Canada.

That being said I own an Airtronics, Spectrum and JR. I won the Airtronics and JR but bought the Spectrum for bind and fly and I must say they have all performed well.

Good luck with choosing. Radio preferences are like discussing oil choices hang on to your hat it might be a wild ride LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another vote for Spektrum, Futaba and Hitec. I'd list the features you'd like to have and then go shopping from those 3. And while my TX/RX are Spektrum, I use Futaba and Hitec servos exclusively.

One thing you'll notice is no longer do you have to plan your radio installation like we use to. Considering servo direction and such for the controls. Just put it in and make all your adjustments from the transmitter. I find however that much of the "programming" capability on a new radio is wasted on me. I continue to build and fly as if I had an old, basic radio with dual rates and reverse switches as the main features. Alas, no one makes such a radio anymore.

Now, as to your old radios. What do you have and what do you want for them?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:48 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

same here,....I see no real need for all that stuff. that said,....the easy throw adjustment and reversing on new radios is a nice feature, but about the only thing I see as a convenience that makes me prefer my newer 6EX (now,... by today's standards,....getting old already) over the old ATTACK4 . for almost all the other adjustability on the 6EX, I need to get out the manual and fumble through the instructions step by step, not really knowing if i'm doing it right or not. that kind of produces a lack of confidence when it comes to putting the plane in the air. I fly with both radios set up essentially the same,....set up as extensive as the ATTACK4 allows,..... not utilizing all the features on the 6EX. I probably wouldn't notice or realize the differences if I did install all the features the 6EX has.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Gyrodog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Bocajuniors55 View Post
My old radios. FM transmitters, old, need new batteries. Want to start fresh. Former old-school Futaba user.

Budget : $600 range

Want something that will suit my needs as I possibly expand into bigger more complex models.

priorities:
1) reliability/durability
2) customer support
3) buddy box (a brand that provides a cheap buddy box to teach my step-son, the extra Transmitter will just be used until he learns)
4) expandability into EDFs as that really interests me once I get some of my skills back on my GP Easy Sport 40

I'm lacking in all the new terminology. Haven't found an article yet to teach me what I missed in the last 15 years.

What is FAAST? And other Futaba terminology?
what is BNF (bind and fly) and how does that differ from other brand technology?

feel free to type away and teach me a short lesson!

Boca......

I’ll try and address each question. Others may correct my response which will flush out more information.

1) Futaba using FAAST and FHSS. Each of these shifts rapidly between many frequencies in the 2.4 gHZ spectrum. FAAST I believe shifts between a pre-established list of these frequencies and FHSS uses a “random” sequence that hops around. This really pseudo random sequence avoids interference by not relying on fixed frequencies and shifting rapidly so that any bad “frequency” is used only for milliseconds or less. FAAST uses error correction to insure bad data is not passed from a frequency and then in addition skips over any frequency where there is traffic (Futaba calls this “pre-vision”). FHSS is said to be cheaper since less processing is required to just hop between frequencies. Both are said to be “full” range and like other 2.4 systems don’t require the traditional frequency management at the flying field to preclude interference from multiple models. Most current 2.4 systems clam similar features with the result that loss of link due to interference is not likely, or nearly impossible unless there is a very unusual RF source nearby (see drone “guns” for example). As far a reliability, the others comments regarding the name brands seem right. Compared to radios of even 10 years ago, the electronics is so highly intergrated that the parts counts are way down (like all electronics). I’ve seen some Tactic brand radios at the field that seem well built. FrSky has developed a following and I see where they have established a US service center. One thing holding me back on FrSky is the OpenTx software in terms of reliability and setup work load. MotionRC even provides a caution to this end. My Futaba gear (2 Tx’s, 9 Rx’s and 20 or so servos) has been bullet proof over the last 10 years. Bind and fly just means the the plane comes with a particular brand of Rx installed, so you just Bind to your Tx and fly. ‘Binding” is the process that allows the RX to learn the Digital ID of your individual TX. Some systems also allow a binding of sorts to each RX/model you fly so you won’t accidentally fly with the wrong model selected on your transmitter. I’ve made this mistake twice in the last tens years. oops!

2) A relatively new thing in buddy boxing is wireless, and also the ability to master/slave between two fully functional Txs. I still use the wires and a dumb buddy box.

3) EDF= Electric Ducked Fan? Any 6+ channel system would fly these. At your price point I think you can find something from 8-12 channels however for your “master” tx.

Hope me this helps.

Last edited by Gyrodog; 08-20-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Another vote for Spektrum, Futaba and Hitec. I'd list the features you'd like to have and then go shopping from those 3. And while my TX/RX are Spektrum, I use Futaba and Hitec servos exclusively.

One thing you'll notice is no longer do you have to plan your radio installation like we use to. Considering servo direction and such for the controls. Just put it in and make all your adjustments from the transmitter. I find however that much of the "programming" capability on a new radio is wasted on me. I continue to build and fly as if I had an old, basic radio with dual rates and reverse switches as the main features. Alas, no one makes such a radio anymore.

Now, as to your old radios. What do you have and what do you want for them?
i just jumped online today and got new batteries for my Tx and Rx with Futaba charger for $50. I decided I want to get back up in the air with the equipment I have. Everything was stored inside the house all these years so I don't anticipate any other problems other than old batteries. Hopefully.

Now to find the old school Futaba DIN trainer cord!

Originally Posted by Gyrodog View Post

Boca......

I’ll try and address each question. Others may correct my response which will flush out more information.

1) Futaba using FAAST and FHSS. Each of these shifts rapidly between many frequencies in the 2.4 gHZ spectrum. FAAST I believe shifts between a pre-established list of these frequencies and FHSS uses a “random” sequence that hops around. This really pseudo random sequence avoids interference by not relying on fixed frequencies and shifting rapidly so that any bad “frequency” is used only for milliseconds or less. FAAST uses error correction to insure bad data is not passed from a frequency and then in addition skips over any frequency where there is traffic (Futaba calls this “pre-vision”). FHSS is said to be cheaper since less processing is required to just hop between frequencies. Both are said to be “full” range and like other 2.4 systems don’t require the traditional frequency management at the flying field to preclude interference from multiple models. Most current 2.4 systems clam similar features with the result that loss of link due to interference is not likely, or nearly impossible unless there is a very unusual RF source nearby (see drone “guns” for example). As far a reliability, the others comments regarding the name brands seem right. Compared to radios of even 10 years ago, the electronics is so highly intergrated that the parts counts are way down (like all electronics). I’ve seen some Tactic brand radios at the field that seem well built. FrSky has developed a following and I see where they have established a US service center. One thing holding me back on FrSky is the OpenTx software in terms of reliability and setup work load. MotionRC even provides a caution to this end. My Futaba gear (2 Tx’s, 9 Rx’s and 20 or so servos) has been bullet proof over the last 10 years. Bind and fly just means the the plane comes with a particular brand of Rx installed, so you just Bind to your Tx and fly. ‘Binding” is the process that allows the RX to learn the Digital ID of your individual TX. Some systems also allow a binding of sorts to each RX/model you fly so you won’t accidentally fly with the wrong model selected on your transmitter. I’ve made this mistake twice in the last tens years. oops!

2) A relatively new thing in buddy boxing is wireless, and also the ability to master/slave between two fully functional Txs. I still use the wires and a dumb buddy box.

3) EDF= Electric Ducked Fan? Any 6+ channel system would fly these. At your price point I think you can find something from 8-12 channels however for your “master” tx.

Hope me this helps.
WOW. I learned a LOT from your post. Thank you. I remember the days I used to read RC magazines-days before forums. I used to learn a lot from those.

I'm leaning towards a Spektrum 9X Black Edition as my next radio once I dust the rust off and plan on my next RC Model.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Depending on your budget and number of channels needed there are enough radios out there you will probably get a headache trying to figure which one. If you like Futaba then by all means stick to them.

Many years ago I had the same problem with two identical transmitters (Futaba) and switched to Hitec (FM at the time and Hitec worked with Futaba receivers). I ended up really liking the Hitec stuff and found the prices were more than reasonable. I now own Two Aurora 9 transmitters, one for electrics and gliders and one for combustion powered. I buddy box between them easily. Dependability is in my opinion outstanding and service has always been top of the line with excellent turn around even from Canada.

That being said I own an Airtronics, Spectrum and JR. I won the Airtronics and JR but bought the Spectrum for bind and fly and I must say they have all performed well.

Good luck with choosing. Radio preferences are like discussing oil choices hang on to your hat it might be a wild ride LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

Shopping for a new radio is insane these days! Back in '95 it was 1) what brand? And 2) how many channels. That's it!

This is nuts. And then I dive into all the reviews that people post and it becomes damn near impossible. The only thing right now that worries me about several reviews is people losing their models with some Spektrum receiver issues? I assume these problems are rare and isolated?

My top pick at the moment is the DX9 Black Edition. Enough functions and channels for me without getting too complicated or expensive with features I don't need.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only thing right now that worries me about several reviews is people losing their models with some Spektrum receiver issues? I assume these problems are rare and isolated?
As I mentioned above, you'll see complaints about Spektrum "problems" as they are by far the most popular radio so there will be more folks having issues. The most prominent one is the "brownout" issue which was, and still is, user caused. For many years guys had used electrical setups that were not adequate for the model. With 72MHz systems, if the rx shut down due to loss of power from high loads on the battery, when the load was removed the rx would come back on immediately. I started with 72MHz and I can still remember all the hollering about "I GOT HIT!" when a momentary loss of control was experienced. After getting into the 2.4GHz radios which are more computer than they are radio, I realized that probably 90% of the "I got hit" stuff was not a case of radio interference from another tx, but power brownouts. Spektrum was the first to really introduce 2.4GHz in Park Flyers. Since the tx's and rx's have to talk to each other, it would take a bit of time say 5 or so seconds, for the tx to pick two channels and link up with the rx using those two channels. Now since it's more computer than radio, it is much more sensitive to low voltage which can be caused by any number of things including servo draw, corroded connections etc. So it will shut down and then it took the 5 seconds or so for it to boot up and reconnect with the rx.

Spektrum came out with a fix that would allow the tx/rx to reconnect immediately if it shut down due to a power loss; problem solved right? Wrong.....

People STILL do not pay enough attention to the power requirements of their models. The problem was initially and to some extent, still is electric powered stuff with cheapo ESC's that cannot provide enough power for the radio systems. The BEC's (Battery Eliminator Circuit) which started out and the less expensive ones still do, use linear voltage regulators which are extremely susceptible to power loss issues due to the way they work. Now the good stuff uses switching regulators but that discussion can get off into the weeds. Suffice to say that a power problem can happen with ANY 2.4GHz radio setup.

They also used an RF format to begin with that when the radios got more popular, it was possible to see some lock out issues with larger numbers of models in the air at the same time, like more than 50. It was/is known as DSM2 and Spektrum changed the format to one that rolls among the available channels like most of the other systems, it's called DSMX.

A DX9 is a most excellent tx in that price range....

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This past weekend, our club held its annual Air Show. The only crashes were a couple of takeoff "incidents" and deadsticks
All radio brands were represented and all on 2.4gHz. Very heavy on Spektrum, followed by Futaba and one lone FrSky. There were no RF issues at all.
The DX9 is hard to beat, especially factoring in the recent price hikes for Futaba that are being blamed on the tariffs.
Pete
Old 08-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Gyrodog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boca....

Regarding the brown out issues. In my “40” and up sized electrics I always use a separate voltage regulator/power supply and not rely on motor controller battery eliminators. My thoughts being that with the higher power, the motor controller is more likely to fail than a separate power supply (run in parallel with the controller from the main battery) although none ever have. Secondly, capacitors can be added to the RX (Plug in like a servo) wiring that will help protect against drop-outs due to load transients. With that however I would still recommend testing with a voltage monitor to see what is really going on when you move all the controls, retracts, whatever at the same time. A lot more of the newer systems are featuring telemetry which would make this an ease do in checking out a new plane.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:20 AM
Kmonte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Get out the credit card

Jeti. I believe I have 8,or is it 11 transmitters. Most sit in a storage box except my DS24 Jeti and DX 18 Spectrum. That said,IMO,there is a lot of experience on this forum I'm seeing ,this is a good thread.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Kmonte View Post
Jeti. I believe I have 8,or is it 11 transmitters. Most sit in a storage box except my DS24 Jeti and DX 18 Spectrum. That said,IMO,there is a lot of experience on this forum I'm seeing ,this is a good thread.
Luckily I live a credit card free lifestyle these days. It's either cash or I wait to buy it! Haha

With that being said, based on my research, it seems the DX9 would fit all of my needs (aka RC dreams). My dream would eventually be : a .40 model, a Big scale gas powered warbird, an EDF Jet and a Turbine jet. This radio should work for all right? Or am I missing much needed features to safely operate these aircraft?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Uh, nine channels may not be enough for a big scale WarBird. I have a 1/5 Scale Mustang that uses eleven channels and a 1/5 scale Corsair that uses most of what you can get out of a DX18. I have one Turbine on my JR 12X and it has to use a Matchbox on the rudder servos for thirteen channels. My other Turbines are on either eighteen or twenty channel radios.

You could probably make a nine channel work if you got a PE (Power Expander) which has multiple channel outputs for each input and can do servo matching as well, but that'll add about $500 to the price tag.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Uh, nine channels may not be enough for a big scale WarBird. I have a 1/5 Scale Mustang that uses eleven channels and a 1/5 scale Corsair that uses most of what you can get out of a DX18. I have one Turbine on my JR 12X and it has to use a Matchbox on the rudder servos for thirteen channels. My other Turbines are on either eighteen or twenty channel radios.

You could probably make a nine channel work if you got a PE (Power Expander) which has multiple channel outputs for each input and can do servo matching as well, but that'll add about $500 to the price tag.
Holy Moly. Enlighten me on what all these channels are used for as I'm a rookie with larger scale models. IF I eventually go for a large scale it will probably be an ARF. The Top Flite P-51 would be top of my list. If you were in my shoes what would you be aiming for as far as a radio choice?

Thanks for your input
Old 08-24-2018, 05:48 PM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where with older equipment you might Y servos together, it now is all programed from the transmitter. Many of the big aerobatic planes might have 3 servos on each aileron for a total of 6. From the transmitter each servo can be plugged into the receiver and brought together as one function in the transmitter. Some of it is programming too. There are ways to overlap functions that is above my head when programming. Complex airplanes like jets will have brakes, speed brakes, start, smoke, and other fancy things along with the flight controls, throttle, retracts, flaps. Lots going on. A big TF P-51 would probably have a servo for each aileron and each flap, each elevator, one for rudder, one throttle, retracts, maybe ignition cut off; thats 10. You can still Y things, but most would be programing from the TX. Programing allows each servo adjustment from the transmitter; some of which is more than just simple mechanical servo movement. You can still do it the old way; what counts is getting out to the field and flying.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Holy Moly. Enlighten me on what all these channels are used for as I'm a rookie with larger scale models. IF I eventually go for a large scale it will probably be an ARF. The Top Flite P-51 would be top of my list. If you were in my shoes what would you be aiming for as far as a radio choice?

Thanks for your input
@TFF covered things pretty well without getting into the weeds. I was told a long time ago that I should buy the best radio I could afford at the time as it would wind up being cheaper in the long run than switching radios all the time.

If you want to play with say 1/5 scale WarBirds, I'd be looking at the Spektrum DX20 and pair that with one of the Spektrum 20 channel PowerSafe rx's. That takes care of any possible power issues as it's got dual 16g inputs, battery isolation, fail on soft switch and there is a small module available for it that among other things is a gyro and it's only $65. A gyro is a real help on a big WarBird on takeoff and landing as they can eat your lunch. When you start a takeoff, you have tail wheel steering, when the tail wheel comes off the ground, you're not yet going fast enough for the small rudders to be effective so you're basically a passenger during that transition. Same with landings as it slows down and before the tail wheel drops. Also, those rx''s have telemetry and the software can be updated via Spektrum's website.

As for the P-51, I'd go with the Hangar 9 model; https://www.horizonhobby.com/p-51d-m...cc-arf-han4770
They had some issues with the model initially but I believe they've got them straightened out now. My Brother has the TF and I'd say the H9 is a better model. It's also a chunk lighter than the TF.

Here's a pic of my Mustang getting it ready for an open house at our club. It's an AeroWorks and they are not in business anymore. The prop is just for a static display.

MAN! I haven't got a clue why the picture is so big.....

Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the old days the term "Channel" equated to function. How many functions does the model have and can the radio control? Rudder, elevator, ailerons, throttle, flaps, retracts, etc. Today, as mentioned, you can basically tie up 15 Rx connections for a single function. OK! Maybe not that many.

Then of course you put 'A' Rx, complete with a battery in the right wing for those controls. Followed by one Rx in the left for those controls. A third in the tail and finally one up front to handle the throttle, retracts, canopy, telemetry and anything else. The wing Rx's are designated the primary Rx for the wing they're in. But, they connect to the servos on the other side too in the event of a Rx failure. Of course an after market device manages that little function. Ditto for the Rx's in the fuselage. And while the Rx's all have their own batteries, all the servos run off a main power bus from a single, larger battery hidden somewhere in the beast.

Is it no wonder our models have gotten so big? They have to in order to carry all the crap we stuff in them now.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This has remained a sane forum for a change. Guys are speaking with experience and knowledge. A lot of useful info here. Basically, all the current brands work better than anything you might have experienced in the 72 meg era. Hell, even the toy grade stuff works. Once you get into it, the technology available will amaze you. I'm one of the old geezers who has the latest and greatest , but still flies it like an old 4 channel unit. I'm going with some old advice. Check out what the guys are using at the club you intend to join. Hands on info can be a big help, especially with programing. It's been mentioned a couple brands have left us. JR and Airtronics are basically gone. Hitec hasn't done anything in 10 years and who knows what Futaba is bringing upon them selves. I was around back in the 60's and 70's when we had the Japanese revolution that drove all the US manufactures out of business. And , I believe, we are seeing another change. The Chinese will soon own the RC market. One brand in particular has a large following, especially with the younger crowd. But again, the stuff seems to work if you can figure out how to work it. One other thing. You probably remember buying a system. Transmitter, receiver, 4 servos, etc. Now its all ala carte. And you may have to learn about electric power!! Good luck. Hope you enjoy your return.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:28 PM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that's what I noticed as well as I returned to flying after being absent for 30+ years. ....you now have to have a decent knowledge of electronics to decide what to buy. what I hate is talking to a sales person about radios. they go off on their electronics tangent and loose me in the dust after about 30 seconds !.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So far. Got the engine running again, ordered new batteries for my old Futaba Tx and Rx (72Mhz). Going to get this old GP Easy Sport 40 flying again and then see where it takes me.

The new radios are really nice. Seems like the higher the price the more features you have an options for expandability. I need more time to make an informed purchase.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 AM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So far. Got the engine running again, ordered new batteries for my old Futaba Tx and Rx (72Mhz). Going to get this old GP Easy Sport 40 flying again and then see where it takes me.

The new radios are really nice. Seems like the higher the price the more features you have an options for expandability. I need more time to make an informed purchase.

Thanks for all the advice
Now that's smart thinking nothing wrong with 72Mhz in fact you may even be all by yourself. Give yourself plenty of time to look around then you can make an informed decision about what radio you want. Good for you.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Bocajuniors55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Now that's smart thinking nothing wrong with 72Mhz in fact you may even be all by yourself. Give yourself plenty of time to look around then you can make an informed decision about what radio you want. Good for you.

Dennis
Thanks. I decided I need to inform myself better about what's out there and what future goals I have in this hobby. Most importantly just get out there and fly for the time being. Getting my old school equipment working again was the cheapest and most logical choice.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:20 AM
Propworn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you do buy don't get too hung up on what your needs are going to be in the distant future. By the time you get there the latest and greatest that you bought today may just be outdated with fewer bells and whistles than a less expensive radio of the future. That's one reason I picked the Hitec Aurora 9. It was the right price, many users of other brands swear by Hitec servos for their hi end models that in my opinion speaks to the quality. At the time I figured 9 channels was more than I had need for the moment. Years later I have yet to need more than the nine channels or have want for more program features than the radio can provide. The cost of the radio has allowed me to purchase a second Aurora. One for electrics one for combustion powered models. The radios have 32 model memory so there is no lack of space. Quite a few of my models I buddy box so the two identical radios make this a snap. Also if I drop one I have an identical radio for backup. The price made this feasible. I fly gas, nitro, and electric. Everything from indoor to giant scale. I would say everything except jets which have always been beyond what I am willing to spend on an RC model. My preferences are WW1 and WW2 as well as vintage scale models of all sizes and complexity.

In all the years I have used Hitec I have never had a single incident that would cause me to doubt the reliability of the equipment.

Dennis

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service