Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Flysky gt3b has horrible range..anybody know a fix..?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flysky gt3b has horrible range..anybody know a fix..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Chinaoreo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flysky gt3b has horrible range..anybody know a fix..?

so I recently bought a fly sky FSGT3B remote… I put the receiver in my brand new Revo 2.0 and the range isn’t near as far as the Traxxas remote..or even close … So I bought another cheap gr3e receiver For it thinking maybe I had a bad one… And it made no difference at all.I even tried it in a different car with the same results…I love the remote but I gotta have more range… Anybody dealt with this already or know how I can modify The receiver or remote… Or is there a better compatible receiver ??
Old 10-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sensitivity (that is how weak a signal can the Rx see and distinguish from all the other RF garbage out there) of a Rx does impact the useful range. But, that impact is small compared to what the Transmitted power out of the Tx can do. I'd first inquire as to what the output power of your Tx is and if there's any way it can be legally bumped up. One thing to remember, Rx sensitivity goes hand in hand with cost.

Some years back Spektrum had a "Park Flyer" radio that was reduced power from the Tx. It failed miserably. Maybe your manufacturer, thinking surface radios don't require the same range as planes, decided to reduce the power out. I can't really see where there would be a significant savings on production by doing that but who knows?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Chinaoreo

Ok so thanks for the reply.. the remote came with the gr3e reciever and now there is an undated gr3f that is supposed to add an extra 100ft of range..And honestly If I had another 100ft I wouldn’t even be taking about this about now..so yesterday I ordered the gr3f which had to get from China.. everyone in the us is sold out.. so I guess I will see how that works..I wish I knew more about this kinda stuff and antennas.. any way to put a bigger taller antenna on my remote..? Or any other mod I can do..? Oh yea I did try some some energizer lithium batts in the remote..and it does show more volts on the display but made no diff in range..
Old 10-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Chinaoreo

This is what someone from another forum posted to my question and I’ve read from lots of people just like this raving about the range of this remote.. so what’s wrong with mine..??

(.I'm afraid I can't help with your problem but I will say that my GT3B's range is huge. I did a test with a friend and went as far as I could just about see my friend indicate with his arms which way my car was facing, I was extremely impressed, I never did find the full range as I couldn't take it any further and still see.)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Appowner
Banned

First of all, don't mess with the antennas. Their physical length is a direct function of the 2.4 Gig frequency. A longer antenna will de-tune the radio causing the RF energy to be reflected back into the final stages of the Tx. Radios don't like that very well and most won't tolerate it much.

As to the range issue, it is possible you just got a bad system out of the box. Since you've ordered the new Rx, I'd wait and see if it corrects the issue. Another option would be trying another Tx with the first Rx. Best way for that is if you had a friend with a compatible Tx you could try.

One thing you can try is to determine whether or not the Tx antenna is broken or even disconnected inside. You won't hurt anything by simply removing the screws and back cover and LOOKING. Leave the power off when you do this. There should be a pretty obvious wire coming from the base of the antenna and connecting in some fashion to a circuit board known as the RF deck. If will either be a very small plug or soldered to the board. Just make sure visually that it is still connected and in good condition along the length you can see. And if not, you've probably found your problem.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Chinaoreo

Ok thanks for the reply.. yes I don’t really know of anybody that has a compatible remote or receiver.. so that’s out. It is a brand new remote but I will take the cover Off and have a look .. now I wish I knew how far my range was now exactly so I’m guess its around 150 ft.. but with 50 mph trucks that’s not very far..
Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Chinaoreo
...................so I’m guess its around 150 ft.. but with 50 mph trucks that’s not very far..
Keeps you hopping!

Another thing you can do is contact the manufacturer and see what they say about what the range should be. And don't try to fix anything you might see or think is broken. Just use that as a reason to send it back for repair/replacement.

Also, your environment can have an impact on range. Surrounded by metal building for example. Next to a cell tower. Things like that. Have you tried it in more than one location? It might work poor in one place but a mile down the road and it could work great. That would suggest the environment of the area.

Last, don't compare different radio brands. Different Tx power, different Rx technology and even the way you orient the antenna all can make a big difference in what you see.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Chinaoreo

I tried it in the middle of A housing development there is no metal buildings around and no cell towers…But I haven’t taken it anywhere else and tried it yet… I looked for a number to reach flysky but came up empty on that one..it’s all Chinese stuff anyway
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 AM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I used a lot of FlySky remote both air and ground and owned FS GT3B and GT3C it can easily passed 260 ft for ground models. I did learn something why some might get short range but you can easily troubleshoot by doing below check list.
  • Open the receiver case, make sure the antenna grounding is soldered to the PCB board.
  • Make sure the receiver antenna is parallel to TX antenna.
  • Keep the receiver and antenna away from ESC and RF noise from servo and brushed motor.
  • Make sure ESC's BEC supply steady 5V current to receiver.