RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lots has changed - Getting back in - Radio Advice

Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Going Balistic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question Lots has changed - Getting back in - Radio Advice

It's been about 7-8 years since I've been able to fly due to kids sports taking up all of my time. I've been following a few things from afar and was aware of the shift to 2.4 (which was underway as I stopped flying.) I've started viewing forums from various sites like this one that I've belonged to in the past as it appears that I will have some time this coming summer to actually get out and fly again.

Wondering if anyone can point me to some good threads on upgrading my JR8103 to 2.4 GHZ?

It appears that both JR and Futaba are all but gone (at least in N/A.)

I picked up a Spektrum radio at the LHS yesterday and gimble action was not the quality I was used to with JR or Futaba.

IT appears that the only real option is Spectrum??

I found an FrSky module (XJT & DJT) that appear may be a good option, but the difference between the two doesn't appear obvious and I haven't heard back from my email to FrSky.

I've done a fair amount of searching on this and other sites but don't appear to be able to locate any threads on the topic. Perhaps the subject matter is too antiquated.

Thanks

GB
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM
davel
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jr is done but Futaba is still going
Old 11-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Going Balistic View Post
It's been about 7-8 years since I've been able to fly due to kids sports taking up all of my time. I've been following a few things from afar and was aware of the shift to 2.4 (which was underway as I stopped flying.) I've started viewing forums from various sites like this one that I've belonged to in the past as it appears that I will have some time this coming summer to actually get out and fly again.

Wondering if anyone can point me to some good threads on upgrading my JR8103 to 2.4 GHZ?

I picked up a Spektrum radio at the LHS yesterday and gimble action was not the quality I was used to with JR or Futaba.

I found an FrSky module (XJT & DJT) that appear may be a good option, but the difference between the two doesn't appear obvious and I haven't heard back from my email to FrSky.

I've done a fair amount of searching on this and other sites but don't appear to be able to locate any threads on the topic. Perhaps the subject matter is too antiquated.

Thanks

GB
You can adjust your gimbals on the Spektrum radios. They come very loose
Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spend the money on a Futaba and get 20 years out of it. Also, allow me to recommend buying from rcjapan.net. Ive dealt with them in the past and saved significant money.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Going Balistic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies.

I'll also check out rcjapan.net

GB
Old 11-28-2018, 10:06 PM
ican3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Going Balistic View Post

Thanks

GB
Been using my cheap $50 Turnigy 9x (JR clone) with Frsky XJT and DJT module almost decades now for long range and solid flight application and they really worth it. I also got Spektrum DX7 but replaced with cheap reliable $45 FLYSKY radio. Technology have improve and the price getting more affordable. I used to be FUTABA, Spektrum, JR and SANWA owner but had to admit China made branded has improved a lot so no need to fear...Pro people already using it for long time. In our club older generation still loyal to their old brand while new generation stick to new and cheaper alternative...we're stop using Spektrum due to extreme glitches nearby radio tower and urban (wifi)

Check out my stock radio range on FPV and other in this video..the range for $50 radio is phenomenal and the response time at long range is pretty fast/reponsive...comes with failsafe, telemetry and RSSI too. Btw hobbyking.com carries lots of FRSKY module if you wanted to upgrade your JR.

Video:

Old 11-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Going Balistic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ican3d - Thanks for the message.

Watched your videos. WOW.

I'm assuming that you are far beyond visual range.

Hard to believe that the $50 radio is that reliable and stable.

Have been looking really hard at the FrSky XJT Module for the JR Radio and the FrSky RX8R PRO receiver.

Assuming that all of my analog servos (JR, Futaba, HiTech, etc. should work fine in the new environment??

FrSky looks interesting. Just trying to figure out some of the new protocols, as it seems like a few of the manufacturers protocols are compatible with some others (DSMX, DSM2, etc.)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem using your existing analog servos with FrSky receivers. 😊
The receivers by default use the lower refresh rate that is compatible with analog servos.

FrSky receivers, unlike most other brands are directly plug and play with Futaba J connectors, which also makes it easier to figure out which way to plug in a JR style plug without the orientation tab. The signal wire goes next to the tab slot in the case.
Pete
Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Going Balistic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks pilotpete2
Old 03-30-2019, 05:05 AM
KCCraig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Having watched FPV videos and being impressed with performance and to me new technology, I have a question: What does FAA think about this? Have they addressed it yet?
Seems to me this Tech brings our hobby into the same airspace as Full scale aircraft.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Mavrick 15
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very very very illegal to do here in the states, and dangerous at that. There are only two entities that I know of that can fly without visual line of sight over 400ft. I would remove those videos if I were you.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:34 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Mavrick 15 View Post
Very very very illegal to do here in the states, and dangerous at that. There are only two entities that I know of that can fly without visual line of sight over 400ft. I would remove those videos if I were you.
Not to start an argument but, the 400 foot limit is for class 'G', uncontrolled airspace only. The reason for the 400 foot limit is that in uncontrolled airspace, full size can legally tool along at 500 feet. So they like a 100 foot buffer in there between the toys and full size. The key is the word, UNCONTROLLED. i.e. no one is watching it or controlling the traffic in it.

Any other airspace class the limit is established by the agreement between the pilot and local ATC when permission/notification for the flight is established. Many people, in fact probably most get this part confused. If you don't understand the airspace classes, I suggest you learn and understand them. At least as far as where you fly. DO NOT rely on the local club experts for your information. Find out for yourself.

And I will no doubt be told I am wrong.

Last edited by Appowner; 04-01-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Mavrick 15
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Not to start an argument but, the 400 foot limit is for class 'G', uncontrolled airspace only. The reason for the 400 foot limit is that in uncontrolled airspace, full size can legally tool along at 500 feet. So they like a 100 foot buffer in there between the toys and full size. The key is the word, UNCONTROLLED. i.e. no one is watching it or controlling the traffic in it.

Any other airspace class the limit is established by the agreement between the pilot and local ATC when permission/notification for the flight is established. Many people, in fact probably most get this part confused. If you don't understand the airspace classes, I suggest you learn and understand them. At least as far as where you fly. DO NOT rely on the local club experts for your information. Find out for yourself.

And I will no doubt be told I am wrong.
I wouldn't say you're wrong at all, but you need a waiver for anything over 400ft and a good reason for it. I would venture to say that more often then not, people don't abide by those rules, which can give the community a black eye.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 AM
KCCraig

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While the video's are cool, and looks like fun, I think this kind of flying will bring the wrath of the FAA down upon the hobby in general. Maybe there can be designated areas where this flying can be done.
Most likely people will setup, fly, and leave before anyone can find them. I hope this does not become a "thing" and the FAA is forced to take action of some sort.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 AM
TrmptPlyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Side question

Ican3d - quick side question, what is your FPV setup?

Feel free to PM me so we don't hijack the thread.