RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Honest question seeking experienced answers

Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Honest question seeking experienced answers

I am returning to the hobby after 8 yrs away.
I am replacing my 72mhz radio with a new 2.4ghz.
I want to use a Life/lifepo4/A123 battery pack in my transmitter instead of a nicd/nimh pack for a good number of reasons.

My question is:

Do you trust the very inexpensive batteries like Turnigy or Zippy, etc. from Hobby King in your expensive transmitters?
If not, can you recommend a brand and merchant that you do trust. I am willing to pay more for a pack that I will not worry about.
Thanks.
David

Last edited by rainedave; 01-05-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't waste your money. Stay with your 72 MHz radio.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:27 AM
BelAirBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome back to the hobby. Many things have changed in the last 8 years

If you are buying a new 2.4 transmitter, why not use the battery that comes with it. That way the charger that comes with it will be compatible too

A few Spektrum bashers will come out on this but I have been using them for at least 8 years with zero problems. Probably 90% of the radios at my field are Spektrum and I canít recall the last time I heard of anyone having any radio problem other than a few that show up with some off brands no one has heard of

My 2,4 transmitters have all used the Lipo batteries and chargers that came with the transmitters. It is probably a good idea to cycle the battery once or twice a year as with any battery. I fly a lot and charge my batteries in the TX once a week.

I fly nitro planes but am but am addicted to the E-Flite BNF planes. The manuals include specific settings for the various Spektrum transmitters So my feeling is why use anything else if you just want to fly

I am sure you will get other points of view but those are mine and I have been flying over 50 years and have seen it all. We have it so good equipment wise versus what we used in the past

Happy flying

bob
Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

depending on what brand, and model tx set ya buy, a lot of them come with life batteries as stock.

research is your friend here.

and the life batt sets from Hobby king work well in the units i have them in.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM
rainedave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies.
rgburrill, that has been what I've been thinking.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM
c/f

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Belive this one, I have many JR 8103 and JR10X and JR9303, for the grand kids and loaners that use DSMX modules or FASST modules, My preffered pack in these TX is a Gen I Thunderpower Blue stripe 2100MAH 3s 8c pack which fits perfectly, I charge them as Lion which will charge them to 80% them a rectifying diode drops it .5V so they pretty much run 11.3-10.8VDC all season with maybe charging 3X a year, so they moslty sit stored and totally reliable more so than any nicads of old and I was an SR pack fanboy which would charge to 11.3VDC back in the day.

I have not had any luck with Life packs from Turnigy and Hobbico, never lost a model but dissapointed one day fine , one day dead, scary, so for 6VDC I go with Geenuine A123 from Andy at Elctrodynamics, old timer RC guy in Michigan...........

Last edited by c/f; 01-08-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Don't waste your money. Stay with your 72 MHz radio.
Just don`t ever forget to extend your antenna!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I find the Hobby King LiFe transmitter batteries work great. They make several that are brand specific due to size requirements. HK gets a bad rap when many of their battery products are comparable to many other more expensive brands as far as reliability goes. My preferred LiFe batteries are genuine A123 but in some cases it is impossible to make a pack from these cells that will fit the space available in various transmitters. That's why we often have to go to other types / styles of cells for a transmitter battery.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rainedave View Post
I am returning to the hobby after 8 yrs away.
I am replacing my 72mhz radio with a new 2.4ghz.
I want to use a Life/lifepo4/A123 battery pack in my transmitter instead of a nicd/nimh pack for a good number of reasons.

My question is:

Do you trust the very inexpensive batteries like Turnigy or Zippy, etc. from Hobby King in your expensive transmitters?
If not, can you recommend a brand and merchant that you do trust. I am willing to pay more for a pack that I will not worry about.
Thanks.
David
Welcome back Dave. Good to see that you have returned and you will find most of the folks you remember moved to RCG.

Mike
Old 02-22-2019, 07:14 AM
jbeech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LiFe and A123 are NOT the same thing.
1. LiFe cells are built in a bag - just like LiPo
2. A123 are both a different chemistry (LiFePO4), 'and' they're built within a cylindrical metal shell like an old school NiCd

Re: your old 72MHz system w/new batteries - if it worked before it'll probably still work just fine with a stock replacement pack (NiCd or MiMH, doesn't matter). The transmitter's features? They may be good enough for you. Depends. Me? I like new radios for the features, not because of the transmission scheme.

As a highly experienced modeler I will say this; a new transmitter/receiver will be properly aligned, your old one? Who knows if the cat knocked it off the shelf and someone put it back without mentioning it? What I do know is by the time you pony up for a new battery pack 'and' prudently pay to to send it in for service/calibration, it'll mean the math for continuing to use it is going to change.

The point nobody is making is this; if you're willing to risk a model on it - and - risk injury to yourself or a friend, that's your look out because nobody is going to tell you what you can and cannot do. Bottom line? We all put on our big boy pants and self-certify before flying our models.

What I can also tell you is today's digital servos blow away any old school analog servo. Does it matter? Once again, it depends. Note, I don't post much but I do grit my teeth a lot due to what I read. Anyway, if you elect to go forward with a cheapo pack from HobbyKing, it'll probably be fine as well, but if it were me I'd at least stick to the original chemistry because the voltage will be exactly what the system expects, and you already have the proper charger, and knowledge of how to do it. Newer chemistries are different, you need to learn the ins and outs, and only a fool will tell you otherwise.

Source: I make ProModeler servos

Last edited by jbeech; 02-22-2019 at 07:24 AM.