Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Power HD servos overall (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
claw1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power HD servos overall (Good or Bad)

They seem pretty cheap and a couple years ago i read all the forums about them and i read that they have bad soldering and loose connections and they die easily.... is that still a problem now or have they stepped up there quality? Im just wondering if anybody would like to share there insight on these servos pros and cons?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Pippin

Default RE: Power HD servos overall (Good or Bad)

I fly 6 HD Power DS-090M in a TT September Fury powered by ASP 180FS. Until now, no problems at all. I only had to trim the connectors slighly since they came bigger than Sanwa ATX recievers would accept.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: claw1994

They seem pretty cheap and a couple years ago i read all the forums about them and i read that they have bad soldering and loose connections and they die easily.... is that still a problem now or have they stepped up there quality? Im just wondering if anybody would like to share there insight on these servos pros and cons?
Well, I won't try to convince you one way or the other but I will say that I just had a bad experience yesterday evening with one of the 9150s that I have/had on my 50cc Edge. Happened on the 3rd flight on both the plane and the servos. Just did the maiden Saturday. Lost the right elevator servo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are probably all bad servos but out of the 5 I bought for this plane I lost 1 and that equates to a 20% failure rate for me alone.

I know there are other people out there that have good things to say about them so if you decide to get them, I hope that you have the same success as they.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Pippin

Some other chaps reported props with the 9150s. Maybe, it's an older generation?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:59 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Some other chaps reported props with the 9150s. Maybe, it's an older generation?
Could be I suppose. They were suppose to have been all new generation. I had heard that there were problems early on, but then again how do I know how long ago this particular servo was manufactured right?

Just a follow up on the failure, we tore the servo down and from what we saw, I have to say it was an internal motor failure of some sort. The gear train is fine, the pot was good but there was a slight burnt odor in the motor that we didn't get on one of the servos that didn't fail. Took one of them apart as well just to compare.

Having said that, and after some thought, any of the servos on the market could have the same issue at some point. I can't ding HD to intensely for that other than to say that perhaps some deveiopments should be made in the QA end of HD. Although I have had a little time to get over it, I still won't fly them at this point. Not until I have a better feeling that it won't happen as quickly again as it did this time.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
DKMILLETTE

I've had good luck with the (6) Power HD 9150MG digital servo's in my 35% carden edge. They seem very solid and I'm using a Airtronics SD-10G with 92104 10 ch. Rx. I will use them in my 50cc CAP too.

So far their great
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 AM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

What brand aluminum servo arms will fit the servo output shaft spline?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 AM
DKMILLETTE

The spline on the Power HD servo is the same as the Futaba servo. They work great and fit tight.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:56 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Thanks that what I needed to know.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

No problem with my five 9150's in my 50cc planes.
But, had a ninty dollar JR servo die for no reason the other day on half a elevator.....so go figure.
Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the best place to purchase them?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
DKMILLETTE

http://www.planeaddicts.com/index1.shtml

I"m sure there are others Try TBM Troy built models
Old 03-02-2019, 09:24 AM
szempruw

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I had some flying issues with my 85” WS Sweet N Low/High. It acted up in the air and thank God I wasn’t flying it. It would have crashed for sure.
Today, I finally have an assignable cause for the rudder locking over hard left for a few seconds.At the time, I didn’t know if it was vibration, RF ignition noise or S8R receiver software problems. The S8R has built in auto-leveling functionality.I switched the Taranis S8R receiver over to the RX8R Pro with a XM+ redundant receiver as Wayne from Aloft Hobbies suggested. This Rx was supposedly made to be more RF ignition and vibration proof and the concept of using a small lightweight redundant Rx made sense to me.After installation and while bench testing, the rudder still acted funny. I gave the rudder stick a twitch right and let it return to center and then the rudder would first go right as expected but occasionally would lock full left. It stayed that way a few seconds and then returned to center.

This was repeatable. I felt relieved in that I could now make the problem occur.
I removed the Power HD LF-20MG rudder servo and replaced it with a Hitec 9110MG servo that I had for another project. The rudder locking was gone. Both, as you may know, are digital servos. I must have a bad Power HD from the beginning. I believe I now have that elusive assignable cause.I'm looking forward to our next flying season! The Red Barron will fly again!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You can probably get away with digging up 1 thread that's several years old rather than every thread you can find. Thanks