RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Training

Old 03-03-2019, 11:36 AM
flyingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Training

I am trying to set up a trainer mode for 8 channels using two Taranis radios. The instructors is a Taranis x9d plus version 2.2.0 and the student is a Taranis x9d version 2.1.3. Using what I have been able to find on line, by using the mix page 6, I have copied the line I want the student to use and changed the source to TR ( ex. channel 6, brakes, original line, source is right slider, second line, source is TR6, switch SH down). None of this has worked so far. Activating the trainer switch (SH) allows the default 1 - 4 to work and the rest is not recognized from the students radio. It still works on the instructors radio with the switch thrown. If anyone has information that can help it would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-03-2019, 01:12 PM
tedsander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I assume that on the Student radio, it is in Slave mode, with CH 1-8 selected, and not just Ch 1-4 (!).

I'll have to play a bit with this, as I've only ever wanted to buddy box ch 1-4 when training. From what I could find on line about higher channels (Configuring the Taranis Trainer / Buddy Box Functionality | Sean Cull)
it looks like the appropriate configuration to control the channel has to be set up using Inputs/Mixing/Outputs on the Students transmitter. On the Master, all you need is to link the source (TR5, etc) to the channel in Mixing. The link above notes that this control cannot be turned on/off with a switch. - so actually, the student is always controlling.
There is probably an easy way to set up mixing in the Master using "replace" to switch the source from the student to the Master when SH is flipped. But I'm speculating and would have to do some testing to verify....
Old 03-03-2019, 04:18 PM
tedsander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK - I just tested.
I set up the STUDENT TX for CH5 in mixing to have LS as the source.
For the MASTER, TX, a single mix line for CH 5 to use TR5 as the source.
With that, the Student always had control over Ch5, and the Master had no effect on that channel, even though it controlled 1-4.

I then modified the MASTER CH5 mix line to use LS as the source, and activated by SH up..
Then added a second mix line for CH 5, using TR5 as the source. Only active when SH dwn. Make sure this is a REPLACE, not an ADD.
With SH up, only LS on the Master worked.
With SH dwn, only the Students worked.

So, either just let the student have full control all the time for CH5-8, by passing along the appropriate TR source in the Master.
Or, duplicate all the student mixer lines in the Master, adjusting each to be only active when SH up.
AND for each channel, make the last line a REPLACE, using the appropriate TR source, and only active when SH is dwn.

If the high channels need switches (like positions for flaps, etc.) there are ways to also have them pass control to the Master, but it may get kind of involved.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 AM
flyingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Training

Thank you for time I am going to work on this today and see if I can get it to work. I have not tried the replace feature that might be the key
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM
flyingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Training

Thanks I set it up the way you said with the extra line using replace and it works great