Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9CAP Transmitter with Spektrum DM8

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM
browntdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9CAP Transmitter with Spektrum DM8

Hello All,

I am getting back into flying after a 6 year absence. When I quit flying, spread spectrum transmitters were just starting. My main Transmitter is a Futaba 9CAP. I purchased the Spektrum DM8 module for it and have one receiver and set of servos that I used in a plane that I crashed right before I became inactive. I have moved and the container with the servos and receiver for the DM8 module are still not found, so I can't reference anything.

I have several questions:

1. I know that many use the new Spektrum Transmitters of various varieties. Programming these new devices seems to be through cell phones and is pretty easy it appears. I enjoy having the flexibility to adjust all the parameters myself on my 9CAP. Is there any great advantage of purchasing a new Spektrum or other vendor's transmitter that uses spread spectrum technology when I like my Futaba Transmitter and have the DM8 module?

2. As I build new planes, what receivers and servos will work with my Futaba with the DM8 module and are they widely available?

By continuing to use my Futaba 9CAP, I can use my old discrete FM channel planes and the spread spectrum receivers that are more current.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I have a steep learning curve right now because the technology of the hobby has changed so much.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

May I suggest that you consider just keeping your 9C for the older models with the 72MHz band rx's, it's not worth a whole lot right now if you were to try and sell it, Then buy yourself a new Spektrum tx, they are quite reasonably priced and you will be amazed at how much different the model will feel on the new radio. The 9C has a number of issues not the least of which is the elevator lag. This is caused by the radio selecting channel 9 as the second elevator channel and since signals are sent sequenctially, there is a huge lag on the left side elevator.

Having to run in the PPM mode for the module to work, has a few other issues not the least of which is that it cannot run in the currently used DSMX RF protocol.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:53 PM
browntdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Zeeb,

Thanks for the reply. As I am continuing to learn about the changes in the hobby since I last flew, it appears that your suggestion is a good one. I do have a followup question. Will the new Spektrum DX8 G2 radiio and one it's compatible receivers be plug in compatible to my existing futaba or hitec servos in my existing planes? For the low cost of a new receiver, it would be nice to have the features of the new Radio if I can use my existing servos
Thanks,

Terry

Last edited by browntdb; 04-21-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Sure can use those servos. The only tidbit is if you are wanting to use Futaba servos, you have to trim the blade off the side of the plug that goes into the rx.The DX8 G2 is a good radio with lots of programming options and it'll be so much easier to program than your 9C, you'll be amazed. The DX8 will also run either DSM2 or DSMX, the first was the #2 version setup for Spektrum and the DSMX is the #3 version and is the currently used format. It will NOT run one of the original park flyer rx's called an AR6000 as they are actually DSM format. They have not been made in years so if you see a used one on a website for sale, don't buy it..... lol

As I mentioned; you will also be surprised at how quickly the models respond to control inputs on these new radios giving you a much more "connected" feel to the model. Sort of like the old Internet days of phone modems compared to the high speed stuff we have now.

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-23-2019 at 01:43 PM.