Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

What's the difference between expensive and cheap transmitters?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What's the difference between expensive and cheap transmitters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 PM
hedron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between expensive and cheap transmitters?

I have a Hornet that I got when I was a kid, and everything's working except the transmitter is completely rusted. I'm looking at transmitters at a few shops online, but some are ridiculously expensive like 600$. Am I gaining anything by buying a 200$ transmitter over a 50$ one?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:16 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My cheap Fly Sky works great but I have trouble trusting it because of its low price. Dumb, huh?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference between the expensive models and the cheaper models from one of the "expensive" manufacturers like Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec and Spectrum, is the features. All of them will have the same basic reliability. All of the "expensive" manufacturers have good reliable products.

The difference between the "expensive" manufacturers and the new cheaper imports like Fly Sky, is that the cheaper imports use cheaper parts. Their reliability will be a gamble.

Jim
Old 08-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You really can't go wrong with a Futaba system. They have a bunch of 3ch 2.4ghz systems from $70 to $190.

Radios 3-Channel | TowerHobbies.com

If I were in the market for a new radio and had multiple cars, the 3PV would be my choice. at $110 before coupons.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 PM
hedron

Is there an "adaptable" transmitter? I don't know all the lingo, so bear with me. Let's say you have 3 receivers (and maybe more in the future) that all use different frequencies? receiving technology?(IDK the term) and you want to have only one transmitter. And you want a dual stick transmitter, as opposed to a wheel/trigger. Which one would you go with?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, you need to get into letting us know more about your "hornet". Maybe some of these guys know what it is but I don't. Is it an airplane, car or what? About how old is the thing, RC systems have changed dramatically in the last 20 years or so, it may have an rx with an incompatible RF frequency. Could you just replace the rx with a new one to go with a new tx? While there are some "off label" products like the Lemon and Orange stuff, almost all of this stuff now is brand specific.

Adaptable? see my comment above.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The Tamiya Hornet is an ancient RC buggy that was re-released not too long ago. It original had quite the following.

Andy
Old 04-21-2019, 12:23 AM
hedron

Originally Posted by Zeeb
While there are some "off label" products like the Lemon and Orange stuff, almost all of this stuff now is brand specific.
Basically what you're saying is that every single receiver everyone owns, also has a single transmitter only for that one. And if you acquire a car/plane/boat with a receiver, but no transmitter, you don't know anything about, the only possible way to drive it would be to replace the receiver.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 AM
hedron

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The Tamiya Hornet is an ancient RC buggy that was re-released not too long ago. It original had quite the following.

Andy
When I was a kid it was the second cheapest car you could get. Well, aside Tyco toys rc. So, I'm assuming that a lot of kids got it because parents would look at the price tag of the Hot Shot and scratch their heads thinking there really couldn't be that much of a difference.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by hedron
Basically what you're saying is that every single receiver everyone owns, also has a single transmitter only for that one. And if you acquire a car/plane/boat with a receiver, but no transmitter, you don't know anything about, the only possible way to drive it would be to replace the receiver.
What I'm saying is that if you have brand "X" transmitter, your receivers all have to be brand "X". So if you have a Futaba tx and get something with a Spektrum rx, it won't work.

There are some clones usually referred to as "Lemon" or "Orange" for various RF formats.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:28 PM
hedron

What about "airplane" transmitters? I would think you could stick the receiver in a boat or car and you'd be good to go. I just like the dual stick approach better than the trigger configuration. Plus, you can't use a trigger tx with flight sims.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Zeeb

The advantage, or one of them, to using 2.4GHz band is that it can be used in Air/Ground/Water is that they all use the same format instead of having to use different frequency bands for each of them.