RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbe Questions

Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM
RC_Life

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbe Questions

First post here. I am getting started in the hobby. I read some of your beginner sticky posts. They were very helpful. I am still struggling where I should start for my next truck. Nitro vs Electric and size. I will sort that out myself with a little more research.

Radio questions.
  • How do modern radios work? How can so many trucks race at a time in these commercial races? are the radio and receiver pairs routinely swapped to make sure everyone is on a unique frequency? Or is this now a programming feature.
  • When I get a new truck/car I want to get a new radio to work with all my future cars. What do I need to do to make it work? Update the receivers in all the cars? To what? How do I know I will not clash with others at my park?
  • Fun question: And if you had 1K to spend on an off road truck. What would your set up be?
Old 04-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this is listed as a radio forum, but there are numerous car/truck threads. Perhaps you'd have a better chance at getting an answer were you to investigate those and submit your question to the most likely one?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:08 PM
Xpress

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RC_Life View Post
First post here. I am getting started in the hobby. I read some of your beginner sticky posts. They were very helpful. I am still struggling where I should start for my next truck. Nitro vs Electric and size. I will sort that out myself with a little more research.

Radio questions.
  • How do modern radios work? How can so many trucks race at a time in these commercial races? are the radio and receiver pairs routinely swapped to make sure everyone is on a unique frequency? Or is this now a programming feature.
  • When I get a new truck/car I want to get a new radio to work with all my future cars. What do I need to do to make it work? Update the receivers in all the cars? To what? How do I know I will not clash with others at my park?
  • Fun question: And if you had 1K to spend on an off road truck. What would your set up be?
Electric is going to be more beginner friendly. Nitro comes with its own set of unique hassles and if you don't know what you're doing you can easily destroy your new engine. Electrics can be the same way, but a RTR electric is going to be hard to kill, especially since most of the popular brands factor in beginners and make them intentionally durable. Electrics also do not have tuning issues that change day to day, they typically run well on any type of fuel (battery) you use, and often times you don't have to worry about providing sufficient airflow to keep the motor cool. There is also no after run procedures, like providing the engine with some lubrication to keep the internals wet, or setting the piston at BDC to keep it from sticking at the top. For your questions:

1. Transmitters/receivers work off of 2.4Ghz frequency hopping spread spectrum technology these says. This means that the transmitter and receiver have a set of frequencies (lets say, 20) that they cycle through hundreds of times per second in order to eliminate interference. During the binding process (the process where your transmitter links to the receiver utilizing a unique code) the transmitter typically selects a set number of frequencies and tells the receiver this information, along with an encoded message. If the receiver does not see this unique encoded message or set of frequencies from the transmitter, then it simply will not listen to the signals. This is how you can have dozens of people on 2.4Ghz in the same vicinity and everything communicates perfectly. No need to change out the receiver once it's installed.

In the old days of 35mhz, 72mhz, and 75mhz, this was not the case as each transmitter transmitted on a specific channel, and the receiver was tuned to listen to that specific channel. No encoding, just raw transmission. If a race were to be held, you had to change to an open frequency, and your transmitter was typically impounded by race coordinators in order to prevent you from transmitting on your frequency (or others) during the event while you were not racing.

2. Buy a transmitter you like, then buy the receivers that work with that transmitter. 2.4Ghz is mostly proprietary, so if you buy a Futaba transmitter, it will only work with Futaba receivers. Same goes for Hitec transmitters and receivers, Sanwa, ect. There is no interchangeability with brands, you are stuck with what you buy. A Futaba transmitter will not work with a Hitec receiver. The same cannot be said about servos, as servos these days are all universal so you can use any brand of servo with any brand of receiver provided the servo is a 3 wire servo with a positive center wire.

Because of the unique ID encoding mentioned before, you will not interfere with others in your vicinity. 2.4Ghz works very well with itself, most home WiFi routers are 2.4Ghz, Bluetooth is on 2.4Ghz, so there's no need to really worry about interference issues.

3. No comment, I'm an airplane guy. Get yourself a name brand transmitter/receiver, a name brand charger, and some good name brand batteries, then go play.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:45 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC_Life, so you are thinking about picking out an off-road truck. Awesome! You will have to ask yourself a few questions like...
Racing?
2wd, or 4wd?
Without knowing anything about your situation, I'd tell you to get an 1/8 scale truggy, or a short course truck based off a 1/8 scale buggy platform.
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Old 04-30-2019, 07:19 AM
RC_Life

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going wth Traxxas E-Revo 2.0. I fell it is a great started setup.