Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Problem with DX6 and holds

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:59 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

That means it works with all our aircraft transmitters.

Andy
Old 10-14-2019, 10:28 AM
stefangs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conclusions

Time for an update and maybe conclusions on this issue. I have been flying with the AR610 for quite a while now without any issues whatsoever, so I guess that rules out the Transmitter as the culprit. Since it does not have telemetry I do not know about signal quality but I have seen no problems.
I sent in the AR6600T for service as I was advised, and now I got it returned. The description is kind of short, but I get the impression that the antennas were ok when tested. The really happy surprise is that they also supplied a satellite receiver free of charge as a replacement for the SPM4648 that I bought wrong!!

I was very careful with gentle bends on the antennas when I remounted the AR6600T now. On a 5 minute test flight with the AR6600T I got a total of 82 frame losses with the satellite mounted, which is a huge improvement from before. What is a bit strange is that even though the AR6600T's antennas have a lot better positions than the satellite's, it has 1018 frame losses, while the satellite has 246, so I still suspect my 6600 is a bit flawed in some way, only now the satellite is carrying most of the weight.

So conclusions:
It seems my problems were caused by a bad transmitter (repaired under warranty) plus kinked antenna wires, possibly in combination with an a bit flaky AR6600T receiver (and a bad LemonRX receiver)
The Horizon Hobby support are a bit slow (1 month turnaround) but they have been very helpful in repairing and advising and even supplied me a satellite to replace one I bought wrong.
So my conclusions are that I feel confident to continue with Spektrum, but I think I will be using satellite receivers from now on.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:45 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm happy your situation has been resolved. Since this was an issue that would have entailed more research and testing than the average switch or gimbal replacement, I'm not surprised that it took more than a couple days to work through the system. I'm sure you also had one of the more experienced technicians working on it.

The usual problem with the A receiver is that it is located among the servo leads, landing gear, batteries, and motor in the belly of the plane. The remote receivers, by contrast, are typically located farther away from those signal-blocking items. I would say that the typical installation has much worse locations for the base than the remote antennas.

Also, if you have one of the SPM9745 remotes, they have a several-dB better sensitivity than our older remotes. Seeing markedly different numbers on them is to be expected, even if you are comparing two remotes side-by-side.

Hopefully that clears things up for you, and I'm happy to see you're doing better with them now. You might like to try the AR620 or AR410 some time. They have the same RF system as the new remote receivers.

Andy