Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR12310T lock out crashed my bird

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Old School Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR12310T lock out crashed my bird

I am Spektrum fella for many years but this one hurt
DX18QQ and my new factory (6 flights) updated AR12310T just weeks old
I was at an event this past weekend and 6-7 mins into a flight. I lost control of my 104”Extra it flew off.
There was only one person in the air with me at that time. They were flying spektrum ix12. Things ended with my plane not harming anyone, so thankful for that.
I have tried to read the logs but a little vague to me. Battery power and draw were all normal for that bird
Basically log shows like it happened. Communication just stopped almost like a reboot
I have lost all faith and being located in Canada return will cost me a small fortune
I am think of just trashing it all and going another platform
any insight is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, sorry for the loss. I know it can cost a lot to ship the equipment into the US but I'm certain Spektrum Service would like to dive into the transmitter and receiver to see if a culprit can be found. Barring that trashing it and moving on may give you peace of mind although brand new equipment can fail too.

I recently purchased a new Futaba 16SZ, charged it up, played with it for 30 minutes, turned it off. Next morning it would not power on. Pulled the battery, found the voltage was under 2.0 volts on a 6 NiMh volt pack. Charged it on my desktop to full voltage, installed and next morning it was dead again. Contacted FutabaUSA service folks. They wanted the Tx and battery returned for a full check out. Shipped it off and waiting for it to return.

Have been flying RC since mid-sixties and this is the first time in 40-50 radio purchases I've had a failure of some sort right out of the box.

Crap happens.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also sorry for your loss, OSF.

Was the Extra totalled?

I'm lucky to have a local shop whose guys are great with Spektrum.

What's your suspicion as to the culprit? The transmitter or the receiver?

Cheers
Max
Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 AM
trkpony
My Feedback: (76)

I also lost my 10 flight old 104” EF extra 300 due to ar12310 failure two weeks ago. We found the batteries still plugged in, power to receiver indicated, but no power to any servos. Internal failure it seems. Sent to horizon and their first response is to blame something plugged into a channel that was not even used in my setup. I replied and hope they make things right at least. Plane a complete loss and $450 of repairs to da120! Yippee. Transmitter is a dx18 gen 2.
Anyone else hearing of issues?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM
trkpony
My Feedback: (76)

Update: appears to have been some type of one off failure that is hard to define. Horizon support analyzed and receiver failed due to a very high amp surge but we cannot confirm source. Stuff happens and we move on, but glad it was not one of those times where a problem is not found.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:31 AM
ticedoff8

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't fly fixed wing - only helicopters - but I have been flying Spektrum for the last 10 years
All my flybarless controllers will drop the throttle to 0% in the event of LOS or receiver restart. I fly with at least 2 serial remote receivers (sats) and lately I started using the SPM4649T (for telemetry) + 2 sats on all my helis.
My question is: Doesn't the AR12310T have a LOS or restart fail-safe? I would have expected that a typical Spektrum receiver would cut the throttle if the receiver restarts ("Communication just stopped almost like a reboot " or due to brownout caused by "a very high amp surge") or LOS.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It does. It works just like other receivers in that regard.

Andy
Old 09-06-2019, 07:18 AM
ticedoff8

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I lost control of my 104”Extra it flew off.
That is the odd comment - it seems it wasn't a LOS or restart
Old 09-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Mangler2y

Default Andy, Also Lost Mine 9/7/19

Andy and others,
Lost my 92" Pilot 92" Extra with a DA 70 Saturday. The plane was flying ok and I lost all control and it went straight in at full throttle. No flying surfaces responded, no throttle response, and the engine kill switch did nothing. After going home I plugged everything in except for the soft switch and one servo which had a connector damaged during the crash. All things were ok during previous flights. Here is a list of the equipment:

DX9 Black Edition. Had latest updates had been sent back twice recently, Once for a corrupt model memory and once for a switch replacement. Techs updated and check it out.
AR12310T Receiver still in warranty.
AS3000 Gyro - Not turned on at the time of loss of control. Still in warranty.
4 Savox SV1270TG servos. Ail and El. These had been installed as replacements recently but were functioning well.
1 Hitec HS7954SH. Rudder
1 Hitec D625MW. Throttle
2 2S Lipo batteries.
1 Spektrum engine temp sensor
1 TechAero engine kill switch.
I plan on contacting customer service tomorrow but I thought it would be a good idea to let you know what happened so that you could monitor things. I was standing with a flying buddy about a month ago and the same thing happened to him and you have discussed things with him. Strange that two different people flying similarly equipped planes get locked out in the same manner at the same field. No system fads or holds in previous flights. No SD card log was being done at the time of the crash, my bad. The batteries were ejected at the crash site as it was just a pile of balsa from the back of the cockpit forward. I am real nervous as I have another plane similarly equipped that only has about 7 flights on it and is the best flying plane I have ever had, would hate to loose it. Sorry to try and connect with you this way Andy.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Mangler2y

Default Addendum To My Post

The plane never went into Failsafe. When I plugged things in at home everything worked including the Failsafe.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Mangler2y

Default Possible Interference From Land Surveying Equipment

We have lost a few planes at our field lately. Does anyone know if we can have interference from land surveying equipment? There are a number of stationary land surveying GPS antennas around our community because grading is being done for a good amount of new homes. One is even in front of our field and is powered off a truck battery while the grading work is being done and can be on for the entire day. We plan on doing a test in the near future.

Last edited by Mangler2y; 09-10-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: More Info