Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Advice on buying receiver for old Futaba radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Robert90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying receiver for old Futaba radio

Hi,
I own an old Futaba FP-T4FG radio that I will use to fly a Midwest Aerostar. I am nearly (finally) finished putting the plane together. Believe it or not I started construction back in the late 80s, put it away for almost thirty years, and am finishing it up now! Here's the other information I can find on it (I don't know exactly what it all means so bear with me): 1.5 ms, 22 - 72.23 Mhz. Anyway (and yes the radio is narrow-banded and I know all the caveats about using this type of older radio), I am trying to find a receiver to use with this radio and servos (S148 type). Somehow the receiver disappeared over the years. Could anyone tell me exactly which receiver I need to buy for this radio? I know they don't make them anymore, but I think I could find it from a private seller on Ebay. I did buy one, it's a FP-R114H AM 72 Mhz, 4-ch, but when I hooked up it to the servos I couldn't get the radio to operate it (no control of servos, though they did move slightly). So that may not be the right one. If anyone can help me out by telling which receiver I would need that would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy a brand new, up to date radio for $60 or less. If your transmitter is AM, I wouldn't use it. If it is FM, Hobby King used to have receivers that worked on any channel. I don't know if HK still sells them. I would buy the new radio. Who wants to crash because of an old radio?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wnewbury
You can buy a brand new, up to date radio for $60 or less. If your transmitter is AM, I wouldn't use it. Who wants to crash because of an old radio?
I know Robert may not wanna hear this, but I believe the portion of wnewbury's post I've quoted is right on target here!

Robert , you say you've been building this plane for about 30 years, do you have any RC flying experience? If not (or even if this is a return to the hobby after a 30 year absence after having learned to fly RC), starting with outdated equipment is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Could it work? Of course it could, lots of folks (like me) are still flying the old 72MHZ systems, but someone new (or rusty from years away) needs to focus on the flying first and leave the nostalgia trip for when the skills are more practiced. Most specifically , a new radio will have something called "Expo" that would make a new (or returning) flyer's first flights very smooth & stable compared to the throws of the antique equipment.

PS , before anyone goes calling me Anti Antique Technology, here's MY collection of vintage RC equipment, some of which that DOES get occasional use for nostalgia trips when the mood strikes
Old 10-06-2019, 03:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the old Aerostar they were quite delightful trainers. I actually used one for a 75 mile cross country flight from Kingman to Seligman Az along Old Route 66 many years ago.

Concerning Your radio system, Just getting a Futaba AM Rx is not enough. You must also find a Futaba AM channel 22 crystal. The Futaba AM and FM crystals were not compatible or interchangeable. People over the years tended to just throw in any old ch 22 crystal and sometimes could not understand why things did not work Memory is vague but I think the AM 72 band crystals were gray.

Now the fellows have given you the best info when they suggested a new system Using and old system is a crap shoot and certainly will limit your chances of success.

John
Old 10-06-2019, 04:01 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

init4fun speaks words of wisdom...so please consider them strongly!
If you are determined to get the old radio up and running, first determine whether it is running AM or FM. Probably AM. But if you guess wrong, the receiver won't work.
Then you need to determine what channel number you need. From the above, it looks to be channel 22.
So, maybe an AM receiver, on channel 22.
Futaba receivers are of course compatible. RCD was a highly respected brand alternative - they produced several varieties to match different brands and channels, so make sure if you find one, that it is for Futaba.
Aging of components WILL cause the transmitters and receivers to get out of tune, so even if you find the correct one, it may not work, even if pristine new-in-box. Worst is that it may seem to work, until you get the plane in the air - then distance, vibration, etc. will reveal that it wasn't quite right... At minimum, plan on having to send it all in to a service facility (Radio South?) for a tune up. We had to do that on a yearly basis back in the day. After 30 years....
The servos will stand a reasonable chance of working, and not being too risky for flight...although 148's were the cheapest possible ones back in the day, and were noted for wearing out very quickly.
I wouldn't trust 30yrs of corrosion inside the switch. Replace it.
And, as you probably have done, all batteries must be replaced.

Between the receiver, the shipping, the cost of the tune-up, and the switch you will have spent more than the equivalent modern entry level radio. And it still will be pretty risky to fly.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Robert90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, thank you for the replies. Without sounding defensive I would just state again that I've already had all of these conversations about the old radio with knowledgeable folks like yourselves at the local Hobby Shop, etc., but I do appreciate the well-meaning advice. Yes, always makes a certain amount of sense to upgrade, but not the point of this project.

As for the transmitter/radio I've already had it fully refurbished and checked out, with new batteries. It is an AM radio. I will continue to look for a Futaba AM 22 receiver, if I understand the replies correctly. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:24 PM
tedsander

If your heart is set on reviving this radio....if you strike out on finding receivers, see if you can find a different plug-in module for the back. I have a collection of Futaba compatible (RCD's) receivers, all on Ch 34 AM that I would part with VERY inexpensively. All used, of course! But you will need the Ch 34 AM module. PM me if interested.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:19 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Robert90
. I will continue to look for a Futaba AM 22 receiver, if I understand the replies correctly. Thanks again.
Remember as I tried to note in my first post That's just not
enough. The Crystal that you use in that Rx must also be an AM type crystal in addition to being a channel 22 crystal, Futaba AM and FM crystals are not interchangeable even if on the same channel. This may be why the first AM rx you bought did not work. Used Rx's may often come with the wrong type crystal.

John
Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Remember as I tried to note in my first post That's just not
enough. The Crystal that you use in that Rx must also be an AM type crystal in addition to being a channel 22 crystal, Futaba AM and FM crystals are not interchangeable even if on the same channel. This may be why the first AM rx you bought did not work. Used Rx's may often come with the wrong type crystal.

John
If faulty memory serves, and pictures found on the Internet are the correct radio...this one came with a plug in module in the back. To swap frequencies, just swap modules (which contain the correct crystals). So if he finds an AM Ch 22 receiver, he should be good (If that is what his current module actually says).
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 AM
JohnBuckner

Indeed I too still own examples of the 4FG, 6FG as well as a 7FG and yes they are all single frequency module type Tx.s . Your offer tedsander to sell Robert90 a matched set of a module on a different channel channel with the matching AM receiver as well as a matching AM crystal on the matching channel Will of course work.

However since Robert90 lost his original Rx and likely the crystal too, And he has invested in a least one used AM Rx that did not work for him and stated he will to continue shop for another. I only attempted help him become aware of the need for not only the crystal in his replacement rx. be on the same channel as his tx module (22) but also a Futaba AM rx crystal.

Sorry I won,t post further here anymore.

John
Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

wonder if he knows that he can buy a good recent edition 2.4 radio in the classifieds here or on rcg for about what the new rx and crystal and module will cost.

like this on that sold yesterday

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...617FX-RX-More-!

Last edited by mongo; 10-10-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it is pretty clear in post #6 Robert90 has a purpose for this particular classic radio system.

I get the same comments each time I appear at a flying site with my old Lanier Jester controlled by a classic Futaba 8 channel Single Stick radio. There is a purpose of resurrection and enjoyment of anything RC that neophytes do not comprehend.

They usually wander away muttering after I mention my other radios are Futaba 12Z, 14MZ, 18MZ. 14SG, 18SZ, 16SZ and Spektrum DX7G2.

So give it a break pushing for a new system, he knows what he is doing.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 AM
architfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always buy the best.