Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

It's been awhile.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:23 AM
dzydvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been awhile.

• I have been knocking the dust off of my helicopters the last month. I have been out of the game for a few years. But now my boys are getting old enough and I've been missing flying. So it's time to get back in the air.

• I have been skimming the forums and I'm seeing alot of people bashing Spektrum radios. I remember them being thought of as top notch back when I started flying. Has something changed? I have a Dx7 that still works but have been thinking about upgrading. I was going to get a Dx8 but now I'm read stuff like "spektrum is over PRICED for what you get" "spektrum? More like crashedum" "spektrash" and so on. What's the deal?

• I've seen TXs like Fsfly, FlySky, ect. Going for really cheap. Are these any good? What is the best, most problem free, long lasting DSMX/DSM2 system on the market today?
    Thanks for helping me get up to speed.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a lot of radio guys visit this website anymore. I would suggest that you post your question in the radios forum over at RCGroups. It's quite large with lots of knowledgeable people. But like all forums asking for opinions, you must decide what input is non brand bias.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:52 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun

And now , as far as radio equipment goes , here's my two cents worth ;

It is my belief that nowadays no one makes a bad or junk radio , the offerings from the bigs like Futaba and Spektrum as well as the smalls like FrSky are all worthy of consideration . As tedsander mentioned I'd stay away from anything brand new to the market to let the inevitable software bugs get ironed out elsewhere than at your field and with your plane . I'd pick a system with at least a year or two's good reviews and most importantly after that one that not only feels comfortable in your hands but also that you feel comfortable with the programming / set up of (I'll bet by now there are countless programming videos on all the latest RC equipment to by found searching the RC forums , U Tube , etc.) . As a final thought , if buying new , choose your vendor wisely by checking their customer service reviews . Some vendors have great reviews and others not so much , an educated customer is seldom a disappointed customer .....
Since I just answered a very similar radio question this morning , I think I'll reuse that same post here , with one addition to address a specific part of the OP's post ;

Nowadays , the cries of this or that brand of radio being junk are heard from those who need an excuse for their bad flying or bad setup . When one of these people plants one it's always someone/something's fault except the man in the mirror . For a while when people knew nothing of the "low voltage brownout" it was fashionable to bash Spektrum radios , when all the while it was the inadequate 4 cell NIMH receiver packs that weren't up to the task . Once the 2 cell LIFE took over the low voltage brownout became a thing of the past and nowadays any properly powered radio is just as good as any other , no matter the brand name .
Old 11-24-2019, 02:35 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spektrum is the only brand that authentically has the DSM2/DSMX protocol. They are vigilant in keeping it for themselves. In the past JR Propo used it but under licence. When JR Propo parted ways from Horizon, they switched protocols. Major Chinese brands, such as FrSky, have their own protocol which is different from DSM.

Another concern may be the programming language. If you are looking at a transmitter that is using the OpenTX open-source operating system, the method of programming is completely different from that used by Spektrum.

Allan
Old 11-24-2019, 03:59 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Use what you have, just replace the batteries.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 PM
ticedoff8

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dzydvl
  • I have been knocking the dust off of my helicopters the last month. I have been out of the game for a few years. But now my boys are getting old enough and I've been missing flying. So it's time to get back in the air.

• I have been skimming the forums and I'm seeing alot of people bashing Spektrum radios. I remember them being thought of as top notch back when I started flying. Has something changed? I have a Dx7 that still works but have been thinking about upgrading. I was going to get a Dx8 but now I'm read stuff like "spektrum is over PRICED for what you get" "spektrum? More like crashedum" "spektrash" and so on. What's the deal?

• I've seen TXs like Fsfly, FlySky, ect. Going for really cheap. Are these any good? What is the best, most problem free, long lasting DSMX/DSM2 system on the market today?
    Thanks for helping me get up to speed.
You are getting better traction on this same question you posted on HF:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=848513
Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 PM
dzydvl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ticedoff8
You are getting better traction on this same question you posted on HF:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=848513
Right.

Mods you can close this thread if you would like.