RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 631 or Hitec Eclipse 7? Advice Please

Old 09-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Desert Toad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR 631 or Hitec Eclipse 7? Advice Please

I'm going to upgrade to a computer radio with model memory and not sure which way to go. Guys I fly have 631's and seem to love them, but all my stuff is hitec. Can I use a Hitec receiver, servos, and battery with a JR transmitter?

Any thoughts about the Hitech eclipse? A friend of mine was told to buy that one, and he'd never need to buy another radio. I've also read it is shift selectable. The FAQ from hitec says "Any modern FM receiver will work; all you need to do is make sure you have selected the proper shift in the menu. Hitec and Futaba are negative shift and Airtronics, JR and Multiplex are positive shift. " Or is the JR a better unit, it looks a bit less complicated.

Thanks for any info.

DT
Old 09-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR 631 or Hitec Eclipse 7? Advice Please

I am not familiar with the JR but do have the Eclipse with the Spectra module and have been very pleased with it. Yes, it will drive nearly any FM reciever of any make. An excellent product.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The eclipse is the better unit. No questions asked. I upgraded from a JR 662 to the eclipse and never looked back. Well till I got a Futaba 9C.

THe eclipse is fairly easy to program just like the JR. But the selectable shift and the spectra module are what make it really shine. Being able to dial into any channel on any reciever is something that is more useful than you would ever think.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:28 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And if all your stuff is HiTec, it's a no-brainer. The Eclipse is far superior and compatible with what you already own.

Azizza, that's about how I was. I went from a Futaba 4VF (Skysport) to an Eclipse and I thought it was the best thing ever. I never saw myself outgrowing it. And here I am, the happy owner of a 9C :PPP It scares me to think of what I'll want to "grow" into in a couple years.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Desert Toad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm... Well I guess that's that. I would have thought that a JR person would have weighed in on this. Okay, I'll get the Eclipse, but I don't think I need the spectrum module. All my Hitec stuff is on the same channel. Just not worth the extra cash.

Thanks a bunch to all!

btw, this is going in my new Ultra Stik 40 with a supertigre 75, and I'm going to try to add a TME smoke system if there's enough room behind the cockpit. But this same radio can drive my Freestyle, my World Models Miss America, and my PBXL.

Thanks again!

Desert Toad.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:11 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have fun!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:47 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the hi-tec receiver will not work with the jr tx, wrong shift. don't recall who's what shift but hi-tec and futaba work together and jr and airtronics work together. the hi-tec eclipse has a programmable shift so the tx will work with the jr rx. i have a hi-tec flash 5 and love it am going to upgrade after much research to the eclipse.

p.s. get the spectrum mod you won't be sorry
Old 10-01-2003, 07:11 AM
ChuckA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Eclipse is the bette value. I have been flying the Eclipse for the last two years and will never own another JR. The Eclipse is now for sale but only because I just took delivery of a Multiplex Evo.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:33 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

btw, this is going in my new Ultra Stik 40 with a supertigre 75, and I'm going to try to add a TME smoke system if there's enough room behind the cockpit.
If you're going to make full use of the Ultra Stick you'll be out of channels. To use crow and the flaps fully, you need 7 channels. How do you plan controlling your smoke system?

You probably didn't get many replies about the JR because it isn't in the same class as the Eclipse. The 631 is an entry-level six channel, while the Eclipse is a full-featured seven channel. The equivalent JR system is a 378. My advice is to purchase none of them.

You obviously want to use more than seven channels. The cost difference between a seven channel and an 8+ channel radio isn't all that significant, and you'll be kicking yourself for not spending the extra money. An 8103 with digital servos is about $380, and you'll likely not see a deal like that again until the next generation of higher-end radios phases out in five or six years. The 9C is about the same price with standard servos, and would work with your Hitec stuff. Why not get a radio that'll let you accomplish what you want with your models?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:41 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I own an Eclipse 7. Great radio. Best bang for the buck. I do agree the previous poster that said its more like the JR-378 than the 631.

In my opinion. JR, Futaba, Hitec... all excellent manufacturers. I chose Hitec because I like the selectable shift.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:39 AM
cmsrp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the hi-tec receiver will not work with the jr tx, wrong shift. don't recall who's what shift but hi-tec and futaba work together and jr and airtronics work together.
Interesting... I have a Hitec dual conversion RX in my Funstar 3D and it works fine with a JR 378 Transmitter...

Moreover, I have an Eclipse and a JR 378, and I can tell you, if I had the choice of only the JR 378 or the Eclipse, the Eclipse would win hands down...