RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo reverser problem

Old 09-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Cobra AH-1
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo reverser problem

I have a new extra 300 with two servos rear mounted. I am using a servo reverser to have both serve a individual elevator. I have always used Futaba gear, except for one mistake with JR.
I had decided to purchase some new Hitec servos for this plane. I bought the best none digial Hitecs and used a servo reverser Y-harness. The right servo went wild when I engaged it. I sent it back to Hitec and two and a half weeks later I received a new one in the mail. They stated there was something wrong with the electrical. The new one does the same thing. If I hook up a Futaba servo in the same place it works great.

My question are servo reverser brand specific. The connecters are universal. Or is Hitec just another Futaba want a be. There is no way I can trust these Hitec servos anywhere except maybe the throttle.

Cobra AH-1 RCU
Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Servo reverser problem

I have had very good experiences with many different models of Hitec servos. I have, or have had, Hitec servos ranging from the HS-425BB up to the HS5945MG digitals. The HS5945MGs are flying my current pride and joy -- an Aeroworks 29% Edge 540. The only Hitec servo I didn't like is the HS-300BB. It is a well known dud...

I would suspect the reversing Y at this stage. I've only used one for one flight and it went haywire and I had to limp back for an interestng landing. Do you have to use the Y? What transmitter are you using? You may be able to mix the elevator servos together... Another possibilty is to have the servo reversed internally and use a standard Y. I know you can buy reveresed servos from www.servocity.com.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:25 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it is a JR servo reverser you will have a problem... Amplified wyes, servo reverser's and such from JR will not work with Futaba radio systems. Hitec, JR and Futaba servos will all experience a similar problem, it is not the servos it's the signal from the wye or reverser.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Cobra AH-1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replys. The servo reverser Y-harness is Futaba and the servos are HItec. If I replace the Hitec with Futaba sevos the reverser works. I was hoping that the Hitec was not a bad one again. I sent the first one in and they (Hitec) replaced it. Could it be that the second one (replacement) is bad too.

Cobra AH-1 RCU
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW, this is a new one on me... Did you know that Hitec servos out of the box run in the opposite direction than Futaba...

It possible you have another bad servo but unlikely, IMO.

As far as I know, Futaba and Hitec equipment is back-wards compatible... Meaning they should work together without issue, less PCM equipment.

What happens when you switch the reverser to the second working Hitec servo?

Which servos are you using?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Cobra AH-1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Michael

I am using Hitecs best non digital servo with Double ball bearing Metal gears.
You have the answer, its the reverse direction of the Hitec. They are not compatible with the Futaba reverser. I will have to use my futaba servos on the the elevator.

Thanks for the support. I feel this is the best part of RCU.

Richard