Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Opinions

Old 09-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Miloh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions

I'm somewhat old school in that I have never flown with a computer radio, I have been flying RC for several years but only basic 4 channel !QUOT!CHEAP!QUOT! radios.
I'm now building and flying some pretty nice airplanes and want one good computer radio to put them on. Probably will not be needing retracts but maybe flaps and smoke at some-point. And probably not more than 4 or 5 planes at any one time.
And what about digital servos....hell servos in general!! LOL, I Plan maybe a 27% or 30% edge or extra in the near future and have no idea what options are available from the standpoint of torque or speed and how to determine what I need.
If you had lets say $300.00 What setup would you buy?

Thanks, Miloh.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:07 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Opinions

Miloh,

If your $300.00 budget is for just the transmitter, and you have negative shift receivers, then I would recommend the Futaba 9C. If are already flying JR, or positive shift receivers, then the JR 8103 is a good choice.

As you get into the larger planes the number of channels is not the sole reason to get a better radio. Larger models often times need more, and more elaborate, mixes to get their best performance. An example of this is my 29% Edge. It need a little down elevator mixed with the tnrottle for doing staight down lines. This down mix is not fun when landing as the plane really drops when you pull the throttle down. It also flies better with a higher than desirable for landing idle. With my Futaba 8U Super I can easily put these mixes on one switch that set things up properly for landing or for flying.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Miloh

Hay thanks Galen..... Negitive and positive shift receivers?? Interesting... would love to hear an explanation on this subject. I now have no receivers that I intendend to use with the new radio. I have a multitude of airtronics and hitech servos tho.
What kind of servos do you use in your Edge??

Miloh.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:33 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Negative and positive shift are two methods to cause a "pulse" of a given time duration that is sent from the transmitter to the receiver. The length of this pulse tells the receiver where in the servos travel it should be placed. The point is that there has to be a detectable shift for a pulse to occur. What's really important here in the US is that Hitec and Futaba are compatible between their transmitters and receivers becuase they are negative shift. Airtronics and JR are compatible because they are positive shift. It's been reported here on RCU that the rest of the world is positive shift... Most receiver manufacturers sell JR/Airtronics and Futaba/Hitec shift receivers. Hitec also makes JR/Airtronics receivers... So depending upon the transmitter you have you'll need to know what shift receiver to buy.

Since you don't have a bunch of old receivers that you want to re-use then I strongly recommend the Futaba 9C. It is IMHO the best "bang for your buck" transmitter available. If you do some searching here on RCU you will find a great deal of information about the 9C, JR 8103, Hitec Eclipse, Multiplex, etc...

In my Edge I am using Hitec HS-5945MG digital servos. So far their performance has been outstanding!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:42 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Miloh, See what most at your field are using, that way they can help you program and get used to the radio. I have a JR 10X and a 8103, and have played with a couple 9c's and I like the JR's better. But thats only my opinion. The 9c is a good deal.

IMO JR digitals are the best.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 AM
flyboy1950

From a value point of view, I would consider the Hitec Eclipse 7. You can purchase the whole system for under $250 with reciever and four servos. Everyone raves about the Hitec receivers and servos and the transmitter is great for someone not seeking more that seven channels. It has seven aircraft memory and most of the features the average pilot is seeking. I have owned four Hitec transmitters and have been flying the Eclipse for about three years with positive results. Flyboy 1950