Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Tray

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:51 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmitter Tray

This year I switch from thumbs to thumb and finger. I am happy with the switch and have been using a neck strap. Now I am wondering if I an transmitter tray will help.

I've been looking at trays and it appears there are basically two styles -- cheap and expensive... It looks like the more expensive ones have hand/wrist rests and the cheaper ones do not. So my question is are the rests necessary? It seems like resting your hands would give you finer control because you are not holding up the weight of your arms... Does anyone have any comments on this line of reasoning?
Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter Tray

Galen,
You're dead on right that a tray will do LOTS to help you improve your precision.

The rests will make you more comfortable and more consistent in your hand placement. They also tend to be sturdier trays that better support the radio and keep it in a single position more consistently.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:12 PM
rctrax

I use a tray that was homemade by a friend and I wouldn't fly any other way. The hand rests are a g0od thing. They makeit possible to hold your hands steady and move only your fingers and hold your wrists and arms steady.Makes formuch improved flight control and smoother.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:05 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Here's my too sense. To me, it depends on which transmitter you are using as to whether the hand rests are useful or not. I use the Futaba 9ZAPS and the JR 10X without the rests on an RC Trayman type of tray. [link=http://www.rctraymanusa.com/]traymanusa[/link]
Using transmitters with lots of sliders and switches, the handrests make it awkward to reach everything while doing a sequence or 3D routine. They sort of put the Tx in a lowered configuration if that makes any sense. Anyway, I don't use mine, so I have extra parts in the box[X(]
Old 09-30-2003, 10:18 PM
GalenB

My thanks to all who have responed so far! Can anyone recommend a tray with hand rests? The one from BVM has caught my eye... Has anyone used it?

http://www.bvmjets.com/Accessories/tray.htm

At this time I am using a Futaba 8U Super, but do expect to get a 9Z in the future...
Old 10-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Take a look at the construction article for the transmitter tray on my web page. It is easy and inexpensive to build and will serve you just as well as the expensive ones.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Jim_McIntyre

I've been using the [link=http://petalrc.com/petals.htm]Petal ELite tray[/link] with propads for a season and have been quite happy with it. Sturdy yet light and inexpensive to boot.

HTH, Jim.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:20 PM
GalenB

Hi Jim,

The Petal Manufactuing website is not showing too well for me right now, but I think an Elite with the Propads would be a good tray for me to start with. Where can I buy the tray and pads? Do I have to go direct to Petal? If I do can someone provide a phone number as their website is not working too well right now?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:29 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Did any of you that use a transmitter tray have any close calls during the transition between using just thumbs, to using thumb and finger to hold the sticks? I have a brand new Dubro tray (red anodized one). When I put my transmitter in it and move the sticks with my thumb and finger it seems as if it could be a problem. I haven't tried to fly with it yet.

Greg
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM
GalenB

Hi Greg,

I can only partially answer your question as I am not yet using a tray. However, when I switched from thumbs only I did not have any "close calls". I had spent a couple of weeks flying G2 with my new thumber/finger grip before trying it out on a real plane. My biggest issue was reverting out of habit back to thumbs only. It took a couple of outings to break this habit.

Since I've always used a neck strap I do not think a tray will change things all that radically for me. If you're moving away from an unsupported transmitter you may find it very strange. I think that if you get into trouble in the air you should be able to climb up high, slow the plane down, and get a buddy to help you get the straps off the transmitter so that you can revert to your old grip.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Jim_McIntyre

From Petal's website;
If you need to contact us, please call 1-908-766-7095. In order to better serve you we are available after 9 pm. EST Monday through Friday. All other times you will reach an automated attendant.

Petal Manufacturing
58 Spencer Road
Basking Ridge, NJ.
07920 USA

908-766-7095

[email protected]
Old 10-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Did any of you that use a transmitter tray have any close calls during the transition ...
I t felt a little awkward at first but, I was already flying pinch grip with a strap so it wasn't a big deal. My biggest problem seems to be forgetting to bring it to the field.[&o]
Old 10-01-2003, 02:04 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Transmitter Tray

One of the many benefits of the particular tray I picked was that it hangs on your shoulders. My Futaba 9ZAPS gets REAL heavy after a day of flying when it's hanging on a strap. Be conscious of the weight of a tray if it hangs from a strap as that adds to the stress in your shoulders and upper body. Years ago when I was in to trap shooting, I elected to go with a release trigger as opposed to a pull for the very same reasons and principles. Anyway, works for me_bob
Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

The one from BVM has caught my eye... Has anyone used it?
It looks a lot like one of the older designs from Multiplex that I have used for a long time. A very good design. I still have it. I now use the dedicated tray for the Multiplex MC 4000 TX.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:57 AM
OldRookie

Jim_McIntire & GalenB
Unlike you two, I never used a neck strap, or the pinch method of holding the sticks. It may be a little harder for me to get started. I'll have to try it on one of my slower planes to start, and see what happens. On the Dubro tray the hand supports can be moved down enough to still use thumbs only, but would make flipping switches easier. I could transition from this to the pinch method once I get use to the tray.
I normally fly with a lot of body english, so restricting the movement of the transmitter could be tough to get use to. I may not even be able to fly without swinging the transmitter around!

Greg
Old 10-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Unlike you two, I never used a neck strap, or the pinch method of holding the sticks. It may be a little harder for me to get started. I'll have to try it on one of my slower planes to start, and see what happens. On the Dubro tray the hand supports can be moved down enough to still use thumbs only, but would make flipping switches easier. I could transition from this to the pinch method once I get use to the tray
You have at your disposal a tool that I didn't have when I started using the tray.
Its called a simulator.

My first tray was a homebrew with a Proline TX and I was flying a Pattern ship at the time, talk about adrenaline rush, but I made it.

I thaught my daugther to fly when she was 9 years old to fly on the simulaotr and while I was at it, it was with a tray. I really worked well..

But in my opinion, a full tray with the hand rest is the best way to go.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Montague

I'd actually suggest maybe going from your current grip to using just a neck strap and two-finger grip, then going from that to a tray.

I transitioned from thumbs to two-finger and neck strap a bit ago. I wasn't that hard, and I didn' thave anything like a close call. By using the strap, the "conventional" grip is easily available if you do run in to trouble.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:03 PM
GalenB

Here are some pics of my Petal Elite with Propads. I haven't flown with it yet, but while doing "air guitar" aerobatics in the family room it felt pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43033.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	66767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14963.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	66768  
Old 10-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Slyder

Just had to say, I started with thumbs but the last 3 years I have used the petal tray and love it. I feel it does make you more precise and if you have to swat at a pesky sweat bee you dont have to worry about dropping your tx. LOL
Eric
Old 11-16-2003, 01:46 AM
PropellerHead-RCU

You might want to try this tray...

Happy Landings,
www.propellerheadhobbies.com
Old 11-16-2003, 11:01 AM
OldRookie

Check this one out. This is a copy of the discontinued DuBro tray.

http://www.retracts.com/URT.htm

Greg
Old 11-16-2003, 04:46 PM
vicar

If you do not mind building it yourself, try this one: [link]http://home.flash.net/~jecramer/TX_tray.htm[/link]. I built one myself and love it...
Old 12-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Ed Kincer

I started using a Petal tray with hand rests last summer when I flew my Ultra Stick 60. The tray allowed me better acces to the switches. I now use the tray all the time.

Note about Petal. They warrant their product against breakage for 1 year. When my tray cracked, they quickly responded and a new tray is on its way to me at no charge.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:00 PM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: erkincer

I started using a Petal tray with hand rests last summer when I flew my Ultra Stick 60. The tray allowed me better acces to the switches. I now use the tray all the time.

Note about Petal. They warrant their product against breakage for 1 year. When my tray cracked, they quickly responded and a new tray is on its way to me at no charge.
I've only used my tray a couple of times, but now I cannot fly without it! I tried one flight without it and quickly put it back on... I didn't expect that...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
MARCO TAMAYO
My Feedback: (1)

Voy a empezar ausar una, tan pronto como lo haga estaré colocando mis experiencias