Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Wide ban AM radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
embpic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide ban AM radio

I was digging through my garage and found my first trainer from my college days. I currently fly quite a few different planes from my 1/4 scale CAP to a Royal B-25. I thought it might be a little nostalgic to get the old bird flying again. It has the old Futaba 6CH FG AM series radio. It was never narrow banded. I cycled the batteries with my dymond charger and believe it or not they are healthy. My question is this. If everyone at my field uses FM, would it be possible to use my old wide band AM radio? Is there any way an AM frequency could interfere with an FM on the same Channel #? Just wondering. I am going to talk to our club president about it first but I wanted to get some other inputs from you guys.

Sean
Old 09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
rctrax

Default RE: Wide ban AM radio

I think you will find that it makes no difference if it is am or fm if they are on the same channel they will enterfere with each other. Wide band would make it more likly that you would get hit from sombody on an adjioning channel,or you might hit someone on an adjioning channel The wisest precaution would be for you to have the pin from the channel on each side of the one you are on as well as the one you are on.[three pins]It would still be illegal however. That would be between you and your fellow club members.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:56 PM
embpic1

Well I just did a little more research after my post that answers my question. Wide band=no AMA insurance. Well that pretty much covers it. I wanted to use my old TX. Does anyone know where I might be able to get it narrow banded? How much would it cost (re-tunning and new RX)?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 09-29-2003, 09:16 PM
rctrax

Try Pete Waters at KMI in Northfield Mi His ads are in most rc mags He updated all of mine [I had some FG's]
Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 PM
rctrax

I found Petes email add [email protected]
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 PM
embpic1

Thanks for the info. I drop him a line.

Sean
Old 09-29-2003, 10:07 PM
embpic1

I tried to email Peter and it came back. Is this the correct email?

Sean
Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 PM
CO-Zman

Sean,
I have the same deal -old Futaba 4ch AM. After looking into it, would cost more for narrow banding than buying a new unit. Radio South used to do them, but I think the allowable date expired. So....I treated myself to a 9C
Rob
Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 AM
tadawson

I asked Tony about this at Radio South last month, and he will still do them, and as I recall, the price was about $20.00. He can only do transmitters - you will need to get a new RX.

- Tim
Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 AM
embpic1

I know it is not cost effective but I'm not too worried about that. I thought it would be cool to fly my old trainer with the original radio. Bring back those old memories.[sm=tongue.gif]