Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9c timer beep too quiet...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 06:51 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9c timer beep too quiet...

is there any way to turn it up. Looked in manual, but couldn't see anything.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 9c timer beep too quiet...

Nope. It's non-adjustable. It's too quiet??? Hrm.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:03 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure of the exact position of the beeper in the TX, but maybe drilling some fine holes in the casing where the beeper is installed could allow better sound transmission.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:48 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

harphunt,

You may have a hearing disorder and not realize it. I have the same problem with my 9Z, but my pals tell me they can hear it just fine.

I also have a progressive high-tone hearing loss, courtesy of a lot of bang going off near my unprotected ears during a mis-spent youth in the army...[]

IOW, the pitch range of the beep tone is high enough that I can barely hear it in a quiet room. Add some ambient noise, and it may as well not even work.

Just a thought...

Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I called Bill Baxter at futaba and they said no volume control.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:49 PM
harphunt

I did play guitar in a rock band professionally for about ten years.... any correlation??
Old 10-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: harphunt

I did play guitar in a rock band professionally for about ten years.... any correlation??
Is that an attempt at self-deprecating humor, or are you seriously asking that?

Personally, I've killed enough of my inner ear hairs playing with motorcycles and car stereo to want to safeguard the semi-good hearing I still have. I own 4 pairs of ear muffs, for everything from yardwork to running engines and shooting in a range. Unfortunately, we men are too often inflicted with a terminal case of misguided bravado when it comes to loud noise. I have people laugh at me when I put on my big red 'muffs at the flying field. It doesn't bother me. At least I can still hear them laugh.

Please, take care of what you've got left. Hearing damage is permanent, but at least you can keep it from getting worse any faster.

Sorry, off my soap box.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:01 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I have the same radio, I cannot hear the beep, but people on the flight line will come up to me and tell me my Tx is beeping.
Volfy, Do not appoligize for that soap box ! I too have lost a lot of range in my hearing and wish I had listened to people whild riding my motercycles and streetrods. Know what, these darn planes I love so much are just as bad if not worse on your hearing.
Let them laugh.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:25 PM
harphunt

Yes I did play and I'm sure I have some loss. At times I can hear my students whisper, at others, with a little white noise, I can't hardly tell what they're saying. It wasn't me that thought that the beep was quiet, though. It was one of the guys at the field. I may have to check into the Miracle Ear!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:02 PM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

I recently lost one of my planes due to not being able to hear that high frequency alarm. That little warning light does no good when you are flying. I don't normally look at the tx while flying. Sure wish they would install a vibrator or gong. I went straight home and ordered a replacement for that anemic battery.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:09 AM
3DFanatic

At least add some variation to the frequency of the alarm. If you've notice, many emergency vehicle sirens have changed to a pattern with an extremely variable frequency so people with hearing loss have a better chance of hearing them. Radio timers should follow suit.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Geistware

What field do you fly?

ORIGINAL: harphunt

Yes I did play and I'm sure I have some loss. At times I can hear my students whisper, at others, with a little white noise, I can't hardly tell what they're saying. It wasn't me that thought that the beep was quiet, though. It was one of the guys at the field. I may have to check into the Miracle Ear!
Old 10-19-2003, 03:41 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

The subject of the sound level of the beeps was covered in a column by Eloi Marez in HIGH FLIGHT magazine. The article had an schematic of how to add a few components to the transmitter and increase the sound level. Go back about a year or so of prior issues and you can read about it. You have to know about electronics to make the modification.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Geistware

Does this mod void the warranty?
Can Hobby Services do it?
Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 AM
dirtybird

I tried to modify mine and I can tell you that it is not an easy mod. I wound up moving the buzzer out of the case and mounting it on the top. I still couldn't hear it very well.

Did you hear this one?
A lady went to the Dr. complaining she had lots of gas. She said she had to pass wind all of the time. The only thing that saved her was they didn't smell and they made no noise.
He gave her some little green pills and told her to take them and come back in a week.
She came back demanding her money back. She said that now the wind she passed smelled terrible but still didn't make any noise.
The Dr said lets look on the bright side. Now that your sinuses are cleared out we can work on your hearing.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:05 PM
rajul

LOL ! That a good one and kinda hits the nail......
Old 10-19-2003, 11:46 PM
3DFanatic

*chuckle*

Howabout replacing the buzzer with a larger one??
Old 10-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

The article on modifying the sound level of the beeper, along with the schematic, is shown on pages 10-11 in the Summer Issure of HIGH FLIGHT in an article by Eloi Marez. I can't show it here, but if you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I will e-mail the 2 pages to you. If I were a betting man, I would say the warranty would be voided. If the transmitter is out of warranty, what's the difference? I had this modification done, and the sound level is greatly improved, but I wish it could be even louder.
Cajuncharley
Old 10-20-2003, 12:33 AM
rajul

Why not replace the buzzer with a vibrator ? Just like cell phones. The buzzer in the Tx may be replaced by a vibrator, assuming that the input voltage and current are comparable. Any comments from the electronic gurus out there ?
Old 10-20-2003, 07:22 AM
IronCross

How about a hearing aid. If you can't hear that beeper you are probably missing out on other things too.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
3DFanatic

Huh? Kidding
Old 10-20-2003, 02:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have unusually good hearing, when I take my flight phys the hearing test shows the line going straight across the top of the chart both ears, most are in the middle somewhere.

In fact, the high pitch sound of the hard drive kills me.

As for my 9C beeper, i would love to turn it up. I can hear it, but when I am concentrating on flying, I don't hear it when i want to. It wouldn't hurt to have it louder.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:56 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

What kind of buzzer is it ?
Is it just a DC operated buzzer which can be replaced with a louder piezo buzzer ?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:28 PM
harphunt

I can hear it , too. I just thought that maybe it could be turned up a bit, as suggested by my 8103 partner.

Geistware, when I mentioned students, I was referring to those in my classroom as I am a teacher. Is that why you asked what field I fly at? (yeah I know. I ended with a preposition)
Old 11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

This is what I use

[link=http://www.wirelessalarm.com/NU850.htm]Talking Timer[/link]

If you do a Google search on "Talking Timer" you'll come up with other vendors.

I got mine at Radio Shack but they've stopped carrying it. Actually I was going to post a lot earlier, but I thought it was no longer available.

I clip mine on my transmitter tray. You can clip it on your shirt pocket. If you're still having problems hearing it, you can clip it onto your cap.

It has 4 selectable alarm sounds. I use the honking car. There's enough variation in the alarm that makes it unmistakable, yet not too annoying, and it's not too high pitched.

Additionally, every minute from 10 minutes on, the timer will announce how many minutes are left.
Every 10 seconds in the last minute it will announce how many seconds are left.
Then at 10 seconds, it will count down 10, 9, 8.... you get the idea.

If you were to wonder whether or not you started the timer after you've taken off, the minute announcements will assure you it's on.

You'll have a real good idea throughout your flight how much time you have left.

I've found this device to be invaluable to my peace of mind.