Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

High and Low-Band ? Why ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
kstaack
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High and Low-Band ? Why ?

I guess the guys want to make money with it !
I come from Germany and we don't have this difference. .
I need a explanation to understand this............
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: High and Low-Band ? Why ?

Your're probably talking about items like Futaba's RX's. Thier RX's have been tuned for specific frequency ranges, i.e. high/low. I don't make any money from this. I don't see how Futaba makes any money from this either unless you are the type that changes crystals willy nilly in which case you should get a synth RX. I can only guess as to why they did this, but my guess was they felt it was necessary to ensure proper tuning. Not much to understand really... if you are using a low freq, you need the low RX, high freq needs a high RX.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

In the US/Canada, we have other types of users between our frequencies, so a receiver that is too far out of tune because it was set at the factory to say channel 11 and then you're trying to fly it on 50, it is far more likely to pick up interference from cell phone towers, pagers, pace makers, construction cranes, and the other types of primary users between the channels.

receivers for low band are pretuned on the center channel of that half a band -- roughly 23, and work fine on 11-35; high band are pretuned to roughly 48 and work fine on 36-60. going outside those halves the band you are risking additional interference and range issues.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AnnMarie to the rescue! thanks, ive always wondered myself why this was. I always thought it was secret evil marketing plot by the corporate giants to make more money.. hehe

matt
Old 10-15-2003, 11:14 AM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Real question is, can our equiptment be sent in and tuned exactly to our desired frequency?

I rarely sell my RX's and would love to eliminate as much as possible by having my RX's tuned to the exact freq I choose.

Jason
Old 10-15-2003, 04:18 PM
carrellh

Yes, according to the FAQs at www.bestrc.com you can send in the system and have it tuned.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Is the same true for transmitters? I've got a buddy who is changing his channel number. Futaba told him all he needed to do was buy the crystal for his selected channel and as long as it was within 5 channel numbers of the original channel, he did not have to send in his transmitter to have it re-tuned.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:48 PM
rctrax

The same is true for the tx. Actually I am a little suprised to hear that Futaba told somebody to change the crystal in a tx as that would be aledgedly illeagal, but yes it is definatly possible to have your tx tuned presiclly to your rx by a licsenced technicition.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had my receiver tuned to 72.55 and it does have better range!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
amcross

Is the same true for transmitters? I've got a buddy who is changing his channel number. Futaba told him all he needed to do was buy the crystal for his selected channel and as long as it was within 5 channel numbers of the original channel, he did not have to send in his transmitter to have it re-tuned.
Oops! somebody must've misspoken, or your friend misunderstood. RECEIVERS can be changed within the band, but transmitter frequencies IN THE US are not to be changed by the user, it is against FCC regulation.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Amcross,

How then should my friend go about getting a new channel number for his transmitter? Does he need to send it to Futaba and just tell them what channel number he wants?

thanks,
Greg
Old 10-15-2003, 11:48 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

Many Transmitters can have their channel changed though since it is a device that actively transmits RF, the FCC does not allow just changing the Xtal. On my Futaba 9C, there is a replacable RF oscillator which consists of the Xtal and other tuned circuitry.

Changing just the Xtal or putting a Frequency Synthesizer on a radio it is not designed for is a violation of FCC rules and AMA rules.

Do you really want to find out that your AMA insurance is null an void after an accident that could be induced by an illegally setup Transmitter???
Old 10-16-2003, 06:50 AM
amcross

Greg,
Yes, assuming it is a crystal only radio and not modular (my assumption based on what you said above) he needs to send it to Futaba and let them know what channel to retune to. There is a send for service form with pre-listed rates on it to help make this easy on their website.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Eindecker_pilot

I certainly don't want to do anything that will cause an accident or is illegal. That's why I'm asking these questions. We were given some bad information, I suspected it was bogus, and I'm just trying to get valid data, which I think I have now thanks to Amcross.

Amcross, the radio is a Futaba Skysport 4-channel. Is that crystal only or modular radio? Does that change what we ask Futaba to do when they change the channel?

thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
amcross

Hi, Ein,
You're doing fine.

this is a crystal radio. there isn't a big plug in module in the back of the radio that can be changed to change all the transmission circuitry at once.

You just want a frequency change of the transmitter, which includes replacing the crystal and retuning.

This form will make it easy:
http://www.hobbyservices.com/futaba-rates.html
Old 10-16-2003, 01:25 PM
kstaack
My Feedback: (5)

Thank's a lot. Now I know, what I have to know ! Bye...maybe see you guys on the field.