Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which channel --> which servo function

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Vide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which channel --> which servo function

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum and to flying RC airplanes.

So here comes my first question:
I have a J-3 CUB which uses 3 channels (tail side rudder, tail altitude rudder and throttle), which channel should be used where on the transmitter?

As is now my throttle is on the left stick (up/down), tail side rudder is on the right stick (left/right) and the tail altitude rudder is on the right stick (up/down).

I'm wondering if this is the way to connect everything? I'm probably going to get a 4 channel airplane in the future and wouldn't want to change the control setup from the one I'm going to start off with.

So, how is it done?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:48 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Which channel --> which servo function

Depends on the radio...

If it's HiTEc or Futaba, Rudder is on chan 1, Elevator is chan 2 and throttle is chan 3.
Old 10-04-2003, 04:35 AM
Vide

It's a Futaba Skysport 4ch. Rudder is currently on chan 1, elevator is on chan 2 and throttle is on chan 3.

So, if I later get a plan with aleons, these would be on channel 4 (left/right on the left stick)?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

On a four channel plane IE: Ailerons, elevator, throttle, and rudder they are Ailerons CH1(right stick, left and right), Elevator CH2(right stick, up and down), Throttle CH3(left stick, up and down), and Rudder CH4(left stick, right and left). It is the same for a three channel plane IE: Elevator CH2, throttle CH3, rudder CH4, but some people move the rudder to channel 1 for ease of flying, but you will get use to steering the plane with the right stick, then when you go to a four channel plane and move the rudder back to CH4 you will have to re-learn to steer the plane with the left stick because the ailerons will go on the right stick and the rudder back to the left stick. When I say steer I mean on the ground for taxi and take off not in the air.
fossil
Old 10-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Vide

Thank you fossil for you response!

Sorry I didn't read this before I went flying earlier today, with apperantly the wrong controls.

Well after a few minor crashes I managed to hold my airplane in the air for more than tre minutes. I am a little impressed of myselfe.

Now I have to learn all over with the new controls.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:28 AM
fossil

Your Welcome
fossil
Old 10-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You appear to be flying a 3 channel setup; if so ;you were correct, rudder on channel 1 (right stick left and right), elevator on channel 2 (right stick forward for down, back for up) and throttle on the left stick channel 3 (forward for fast, back for slow). If you go to a 4 channel setup (using ailerons as well as rudder) then move the ailerons to channel 1 and the rudder to channel 4. Then your roll control (ailerons) will be on the right stick (left rolls you to the left and right rolls you to the right) and your yaw control (rudder) will be on the left stick (left yaws you to the left and right yaws you to the right).
Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Yeah, on a 3-channel plane, your rudder should be on the right stick (chan one), on a 4 channel plane, it should be on the left stick (chan 4) and your ailerons should be on the right (chan one).
Old 10-05-2003, 08:10 PM
fossil

What channel you put the rudder on for a 3 channel setup is a matter of preference. Channel 4 is the proper channel for the rudder whether you are flying a 3 or 4 channel setup. A lot of people put it on channel 1 (Aileron) to make flying easier, but I also see those same people struggle when they move on to flying a four channel setup because they are so use to steering the plane with the right stick and now have to steer with the left for taxi and takeoff. Using the left stick for rudder will make you a better flier in the long run. Just my opinion.
fossil
Old 10-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Vide

I think I'll be using rudder on right stick after all, in the future I will put my ailerons on this channel and us ailerons to turn the plane (with uplift). So I will still use the right stick to turn, I think this will be easier.

Thanks for your replies.