Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FM receiver

Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Thread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM receiver

Anyone knows anything about making a homemade 4channel receiver?
I think the prices on RC micro receivers is way to high for something that costs under $20 to make!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:24 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: FM receiver

Or for $25, GWS makes a micro 4 channel
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Thread

JMP RX-Combo weights 1,72g
$129 cant be resonable for this! the components cost at most $30!
What other market takes a hundred dollar profit for something that tiny and inexpencive?!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:27 PM
XJet
Banned

I think you have to appreciate that the cost of the components is only one part of the total cost of a receiver.

Huge amounts of money have to be spent in the design and testing stages of a receiver's development -- then there's tooling up for production, quality control, marketing, the retailer's margin and a whole lot more.

Of course the ultimate measure of whether a receiver is well priced or not is to ask yourself the questions:

1. Can you design, test and build one for less than it costs to buy one?

2. If your answer to 1 (above) is yes, then why don't you?

Even though I've got over 25 years of professional experience in analog and digital electronics behind me, I would not be able to design, test and build a modern RC receiver for less than it costs to buy one -- so I buy them and marvel at how cheap they are for the technology that's in them.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Thread

You´ve got a point in what you´re saying.
But the RC equipment thats on the market now has been there for quite a while and the prices should be lower than they are.
And if I only got some help whit the electrical part I belive I can build a working receiver in almost the same class as one I buy for far less than $120!!
A receiver isnt that advanced!

1. almost
2. Thats why I´m here trying to get some info on how FM circuits work and where I can buy them.

So if anyone knows anything about digital FM receiver circuits please let me know.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:19 PM
XJet
Banned

Hey, you can buy a reliable, compact, efficient dual-conversion FM reciever for about $50-$60 these days. That's not even an hour's worth of a *good* electronic tech's time!

These receivers have a high level of integration (custom ICs = small), surface-mount componentry (reliable and small), and a proven track-record of performance. So why mess around using standard components (large, less robust) to build a bulky, potentially unreliable receiver?

You can buy receiver kits from various vendors -- but surprisingly, the prices are often as high if not higher than those charged for built-up units from reputable manufacturers such as HiTec.

Many years ago -- when even the store-bought receivers used regular off-the-shelf components, I did build my own RC gear. This was handy because it allowed me to have one of the world's first transmitters with onboard elevon/flaperon/V-tail mixing, dual rates, etc.

These days it's just not worth it -- all the features I want are available in commercial sets at ridiculously low prices (compared to the value of my time).
Old 10-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Thread

yes an normal size receiver is worth its price I can agree on that... But im into micro planes... whit a weight of 60g that you fly indoors.

Get a receiver and servos for such a plane costs alot and isnt much more reliable than one you build yourself!
So Im going to take my hours worth alot of money and develop my own receiver whit surface-mounted ICs!
If I make a 3g system for $30 + working time I still make a bargain!
A 2g system now kosts $130! And IT ISNT WORTH THAT MUCH!

But well if you are a milionare like you seem to be it might not be worth it...
Im a student so I dont have money for such things..

Anyway, Ive found a page where a man has built his own 2g receiver. there is schematics and everything there...
So I guess I can build my own receiver for just the component price now. whitout any overvalued time wasted!

ohh! almost forgot! I must give you a very big THANKS for the time you spent trying to convince me not to save money!
since your valuable time is worth $50-$60 an hour you have at least given me $30!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:20 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Thread
yes an normal size receiver is worth its price I can agree on that... But im into micro planes... whit a weight of 60g that you fly indoors.
I'm not familiar with this type of gear, the smallest I've actually seen is stuff like the Hitec Feather which weighs in at an enormous 7.8g and costs less than $30.

If you're happy working with SMT components and have found a suitable design then go for it.

ohh! almost forgot! I must give you a very big THANKS for the time you spent trying to convince me not to save money!
since your valuable time is worth $50-$60 an hour you have at least given me $30!
No problem, glad to be of help.