RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Horrible Range - Blame Stock RTR Radio?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Parasite1111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Horrible Range - Blame Stock RTR Radio?

i just recently got a used 1/8 buggy. It was used so little, i even had to break it in. After break in, i wanted to test out it's top end, so i rocketed it down the street...after about 300 FT, it exited radio range, and i lost control of the buggy. (followed by a spectacular wreck; spectacular = car + top end + tons of air + body of water). The (alkaline) batteries in the transmitter, and in the reciever pack were both brand new.

from everything i've read, current transmitters should permit you to use the car almost farther than you can see, so my question:

Is the Airtronics Blazer that was included w/ the RTR kit at fault? Is this just a poor quality radio? Or cold something else be my culprit?

Some have suggested i get a rechargeable NiCad or NiMH reciever pack, and although that wold help w/ the cost/trouble of switching out alkalines every few times, i doubt that is the solution to my problem.

Although cost is not really a factor, and i plan on upgrading my radio at some point, i'm trying to avoid spending $200+ (or whatever it would cost) right now.

TIA for all your help!
Old 10-10-2003, 12:30 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Horrible Range - Blame Stock RTR Radio?

Was the RX antenna rolled up in a ball in the car or was it extended all the way?
Old 10-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Parasite1111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

both antenna were fully extended
Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Blazer might not be the best radio,and the particular unit might not be performing at it's best.Also,we are not taking "Local" issues into account(interference,"Bad reception" area, etc.) as we cannot determine their affect.But the bottom line is "To get the best range from any radio system(RC,CB,HAM,Garage door opener.....ANY radio)
get the antenna WAY UP HIGH" i.e. put it in an airplane. You WILL NOT get the same range from an RC system in a surface model(car or boat) as the same system will provide in an aircraft model.The height of the antenna is one reason,Ground wave effects and signal reflection("Ghosting") is another.