Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aileron Servo problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:43 PM
grebmohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo problem

I am using an Airtronics Radiant radio in my GP Super Sportster. Many flight and never a problem in the past.

Now, sometimes, When I turn on the radio the aileron servo acts strange.

Now I did say sometimes and its always only the aileron servo when it happens.

On left and right stick the ailerons move very little and very slowly upon release of the stick the servo returns to center very slowly.

I try wiggling the stick and nothing gets better. I rack the trim back and forth about 5 times and the darn thing starts working normally.

I am concerned that I have a bad trim pot on the transmitter. But I also think that possible the servo pot is "dirty" in the small area around neutral and wiping the trim "cleans" it enough to start working.

I tend to think the trim on the stick is bad. Is the trim not operated by offsetiing the whole gimbal? Is it possible to clean the trim pot or gimbal pot with contact cleaner?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 09:26 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Servo problem

grebmohr,

You say that the servo moves very slowly. I had a similar problem with my Extra with 2 servos on the ail. One servo moved slowly or not at all. I found I had a bad servo extention connected to the servo in question. I removed the connector and wired the servo directly to the extension. No more problems. Since then I never use any extension connectors and always extending the servo leads by splicing them directly to the extensions. Any bad connections in the servo leads will cause the servos to either not move or move slowly (voltage drop at the bad connection). I cannot see how a transmitter problem would cause the servo to move slow. Just at thought.

George
Old 10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
grebmohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it is wierd I have never had problem like this before.

I do have an extension in that servo line. But what would make it start working normally after working the servo a little?

Either way I am taking the extension out tonight and trying it tomorrow.

Thanks for the lead...
Old 10-11-2003, 09:54 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

grebmohr,

When I encountered this problem with my Extra, sometimes it would start working ok after a minute or two. It drove me nuts and I missed several days of flying until I removed the servo and wiggled the connector at which time it started working ok. As I said, I immediately cut out the connectors and wired the extension directly to the servo lead. Never had the problem again.

George