Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Nicad or NIMh

Old 10-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Gyri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicad or NIMh

My .90 Giles (4 stroke) is getting a mix of digital and reg servos. What should be a better option Ni-MH or NIcd and what milli-amp rating?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Nicad or NIMh

I personally don't like NiMH for high current loads. With your size plane, the load should not be too great. I would go with one 1400maH or larger pack. You will be OK.

ORIGINAL: Gyri
My .90 Giles (4 stroke) is getting a mix of digital and reg servos. What should be a better option Ni-MH or NIcd and what milli-amp rating?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Gyri

Thanks GW,
Reason to switch to NIMh wa to save on weight. But if thats not the best way to go, I'll stick with Ni-cd. Atleast I got a charger for it. But what about Li or Li Po packs, any good for high current?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gyri, I am not saying that you cannot use NiMH for high current loads. A lot of people have used them for that. I am saying that I have not had good luck with them. I had two planes that I almost lost (one ppm & one pcm) because the voltage on a fully charged pack dropped too low. I used one 2700maH NiMH AA 5 cell pack with 6 digitals and almost crashed due to low voltage. I replaced it with two 1000maH NiCad AA 5 cell packs. and my problem went away. I have less available energy but I was finding that the internal resistance of the NiMH was too high compared to the NiCad.

ORIGINAL: Gyri
Thanks GW,
Reason to switch to NIMh wa to save on weight. But if thats not the best way to go, I'll stick with Ni-cd. Atleast I got a charger for it. But what about Li or Li Po packs, any good for high current?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Gyri

I guess that means 2 Ni-cd packs for me. I had read elsewhere in RCU about Ni-MH not being the prefered choice for high current draw, so I'll take your advice on that. Any thoughts on Li or li Po?
Thanks for you inputs.