Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

McDaniel Glo Driver Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:52 PM
ttreed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McDaniel Glo Driver Jitters

I just installed a McDaniel Twin onboard Glo driver on a Saito 300 twin and it is really making my servos dance when the tx is off. Jitters stop when I unplug the Mc D battery, the harness to the glo plugs or turn the tx on. If I move the Mc D battery around it changes how violent the servos jitter but it does not stop. I have a Futaba system and have tried PPM and PCM neither help. All of the leads are seperated to minimize rf but nothing helps. Will this show up in the air while I am flying my $1000 plus Extra. I can't take any chances.

HELP!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:38 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: McDaniel Glo Driver Jitters

When your transmitter is off, your receiver goes to maximum gain and is susceptable to any noise that happens to be around. The fact that the glow driver makes the servos jitter indicates it is creating noise.
The only way to determine if it will bother your receiver in flight is to range check it with the glow driver on and off and see if the range suffers when it is on and if so how much.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:48 PM
ttreed

Thanks DB... With a FM rx my range checks with Glo hooked up are shorter than with it unhooked. With a PCM rx I cant tell a difference...hmmm. In the mean time I will leave the Driver in the plane sans battery and boost through an external jack for starting only. This thing makes me more nervous than a prostate exam. Maybe I'll give Mr. McDaniels a call on Monday. By the way I talked to him when I purchased the unit and he wasnt in good health. He has had a bought with Cancer.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Its very hard to range check with a PCM receiver. Its nature is to cover the errors. Thats good when your flying but bad when you are range checking.
Here is a procedure that helps.
1. Keep moving a control back and forth while you walk out with the antenna collapsed.
2. Stop when the servo stops moving. You will need hiking boots and a helper to tell you when the servo stops moving.
3. Keep moving the control back and forth and walk back towards the airplane.
4. When the servo starts to move again is the point you are interested in. This is the recovery point.
Try not to change your attitude to the airplane between step two and three. Don't walk out with the transmitter in front of you then turn around. When you get to the extreme range turn around and keep the transmitter between you and the airplane and walk backwards. Then when the servo stops working you can just start walking back.
Some like to range check with a PPM receiver then switch to a PCM receiver when things are checked out.
Your tests with the PPM receiver indicate the glow driver is creating noise. Make sure all connections including the one to the glow plug are tight. If you get less than a 10% reduction in range with the PPM receiver I would fly with it. If you get more range reduction I would return the driver to its maker.
BTW I am very sorry to hear that he has cancer. I wish him a speedy recovery.