Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

50 MHz vs 72 MHz ?

Old 01-24-2003, 11:13 AM
dfdever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 MHz vs 72 MHz ?

I am getting back into the hobby after several years, what's the diffrence between 50 MHz & 72 MHz.
Advanages, Disadvanages?
Thanks, Don Dever ---> [email protected]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
00hex

You need a ham radio license to use 50 MHz (or 53 MHz). This means that it's much less likely that someone will be on the same frequency.
Of course you have to study for a test to get the license. It's not that bad, no morse code or anything, but it's not really worth it just to avoid sharing a frequency.
Any class of license except Novice, which you can't get anymore, will work.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:27 PM
55Q

I am a licensed ham. I thought about getting a radio on the 53MHZ band and decided against it because if I ever wanted to sell it, I could only sell it to another ham.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:59 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I believe the HAM frequency radios are allowed to have more power than the unlicenced frequency radios... But the commercial TX's won't be any different except the frequency. (There is a level of HAM licence where you are allowed to build your own TX...)

With 50 (+) frequencies available, and generally the club fields limiting traffic to 4 to 8 (depending on the field...) aircraft in the air at a time... you'll be waiting for room on the flight line more than you'll be waiting for one of the "standard" frequencies.